SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Photobucket Problems???
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photobucket Problems??? Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Not usually a fan of harassing folks/sites just because they made a stupid decision, but saw one suggestion to load up multiple copies of the error screen pic that pops up showing site is full or no photo found. With enough of those, that would begin to populate their entire "recent uploads" page......

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Just tried the Amazon Prime Photo hosting. Works like a charm!
Tony.

Well, the free 3rd party hosting party may be coming to an end. I might not mind a few bucks a month for PB hosting but their new plan is extortion and the free market will take care of it if they don't amend their tier structure.

Benny6. I had hoped for using amazon but as yet. SF doesn't like HTTPS posting. Any tips/tutorial you could share would be appreciated. Thanks

Hmm, haven't tried to post a pic on SF, but I did on another forum. Let me try here the same way I did there...

For Mac, after you upload the picture to Amazon Prime, click on the photo to view the full screen version. Right click the image and click "Copy Image Address".

When you post on the forum, click the "Insert Image" icon and paste the image address into the "Image URL" text box and click "ok". When you submit your post, it will show up like my picture.

For Windows, do the same thing except instead of clicking "Copy Image Address", right-click and select "Properties". When the text box pops up it will list the address "Address (URL)". Copy the address and paste it to the "Image URL" text box and submit your post.

Clear as mud?

Tony.

Thanks. I think the "properties" step is what I was missing. I'll try when I get home. Although, from an android device there is no right click.

Posts: 3505 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
If this works, much thanks to benny6 and some previous posters who informed me about the existence of Prime Photos.

It worked! (That is a photo of Tatoosh Island near Cape Flattery, Washington taken from a logging road.)

Edit: Hmm, the image disappeared. This edit should make it work again, but those Prime Photo image URLs only seem to be valid temporarily.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rh,

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:

SF doesn't like HTTPS posting.

I think you have been having some technical problems, since embedding images using HTTPS from Amazon Prime Photos does work in posts. If my avatar shows up in this post, then HTTPS works with avatars too. (It should show up, since benny6 is using HTTPS from Amazon for his avatar.)

Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Adios, Photobucket....

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Between Flickr and Tinypic, Photofucket is history.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
I know this sucks for everybody, but I think Photobucket had to do this (or at least something like this) I don't think they're being greedy. I think they are desperate. The cost of bandwidth and storage is probably huge for them. I'll bet with the advent of ad blockers, their ad revenue has been going down, which is probably their main revenue stream.

I've been seeing this on several websites, lately, where they ask you to turn off your ad blocker, or to subscribe. I think the days of the free internet are coming to an end. We as users are going to have one of two choices: deal with ads or pay a fee.

I'm happy to pay a reasonable fee for someone's service. $400/year is not reasonable. In addition, they could have used a tiered system. $5/month for a guy like me who posts a few cigar and dog pictures now and then...significantly more for those who are obviously using the site for their business needs.

They really dicked the dog on this one.

I agree with you that the $400/year is ridiculous. I think they have been having issues for a while and didn't address it properly and early (enough), and now they are have had to go to extremes to try and stay afloat. I believe they had to do this, but I disagree on how they did it. In other words, they should have given people notice (30-90 days) that this was going to happen.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Between Flickr and Tinypic, Photofucket is history.

If you didn't see my post on page 5, ...

Tinypic is a Photobucket Company. If Photobbucket goes down, I'm not sure if TinyPic survives.

I've been using Tinypic for generic image posting for years now, because it's more anonymous.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Photofucket is history.

Due to what I have learned from this topic and reading comments about Photobucket on Twitter, I don't see how Photobucket survives, certainly not without a major change in their business model. There's just not nearly as much need for 3rd party image hosting as there was when Photobucket was launched (2003) due to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and newer forum software utilizing the now much cheaper bandwidth and storage costs.

There has certainly been a great increase in demand for storage of photos, but there are much cheaper alternatives to Photobucket.

Of the two that I am familiar with, Amazon Prime Photos offers unlimited photo storage, album management, photo editing, and perhaps unintentional "hot linking" for its current 80 million Amazon Prime subscribers. It's an ad free experience, and of course prints can be ordered for your photos. (Prime does cost $99 / year, but there is lot more to Prime than 2-day shipping and Prime Photos.)

Google Drive offers 100 GB of storage for $20/year, 1 TB for $100/year, or 10 TB for $100/month - https://www.google.com/drive/pricing/

And both of these cloud services offer syncing photos between devices.

Photobucket is just not competitive at $60/year for 52 GB, $100/year for 102 GB, or $400/year for 502 GB (and hot linking!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rh,

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
I agree with you that the $400/year is ridiculous. I think they have been having issues for a while and didn't address it properly and early (enough), and now they are have had to go to extremes to try and stay afloat. I believe they had to do this, but I disagree on how they did it. In other words, they should have given people notice (30-90 days) that this was going to happen.

Certainly Photobucket should have given advance notice, but even if they had, that would still have broken a lot of older forums and blogs. It's just not feasible to edit 10+ years of linked images, at least without software. (Hmm, I just thought of a new software program for someone to write : "PB-Fixer-Upper". Perl would be the perfect language to use for such a task.)

I initially dismissed these "ransom ware" like claims about Photobucket's intentions, but after reading about all of the alternatives to Photobucket, Photobucket may be in such bad financial condition that price gouging and cashing out may be what they had in mind. (Amazon alone has blown them away. No URL, but I heard from a reputable source that 1/2 of U.S. households are Amazon Prime subscribers. Thanks again to everyone who told me about the existence of Prime Photos.)

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Photobucket going under was my thought too. SO i've pulled every image I had there.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, good to hear that Amazon Prime does work for SF. Gonna give it a try.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I have not read the entire thread and don't care to, but in a few pages I've seen no reference to Picturetrail. It's been in business at least 15 years, and has several affordable levels of membership, including free.

I participate in a hobby that is picture posting intensive (lure collecting), and almost everyone uses Picturetrail.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
OK

Help the technologically handicapped here....ME.

I have 120 pics on Photobucket. HOW do I get them off, in order to save them for another site. Simply download to file or a disc?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40492668

Amazon and eBay images broken by Photobucket's 'ransom demand'

Thousands of images promoting goods sold on Amazon and other shopping sites have been removed after a photo-sharing service changed its terms.

Ebay and Etsy have also been affected, in addition to many forums and blogs.

The problem has been caused by Photobucket introducing a charge for allowing images hosted on its platform to be embedded into third-party sites.

The company caught many of its members unaware with the change, prompting some to accuse it of holding them to ransom.

more at link

Posts: 19558 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
is there an easy way to delete my photo buck account ? I don't really care if I keep any pictures.

Posts: 5582 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
This is the only picture I left on my account.
Also deleted my account so this will go away in a day or two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Patrick-SP2022,

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Hmmm, good to hear that Amazon Prime does work for SF.

Those Prime Photo URLs generated by right clicking on the photo seem to only be valid temporarily or else they become invalid when additions or deletions are made to Prime Photos.

-

Also, I think that I can explain why some forum members were having problems changing their avatars to different photo hosting sites. The problem wasn't that they were HTTPS URLs or likely even a problem with postimage.io, it just seems to take SIGforum's software a while to update custom avatar URLs. (It's not a browser cache issue.)

-

Oh FN in MT (who requested info on how to download photos Photobucket), you just go to your Bucket and select Download Album. The problem is that I requested to download my 200 MB Bucket 6 1/2 hours ago, but the download is not complete yet. Why it's like every remaining Photobucket user is downloading their photos, and Photobucket has made this a very low priority use of their resources.

Banned
posted Hide Post
My photobucket still works :

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
one more test

Yahoo!
Thanks Sig Monkey!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8339 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post