SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Photobucket Problems???
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photobucket Problems??? Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I'm shocked at the "money grab" and "rip off" threads I've seen the last few days. This is an internet company spending lots and lots of money as a photo host... why did you think they were doing it? For fun? Of course not, it's a business. And since the majority of their users seem to use it to host photos off site, that's a lot more bandwidth.

Sure... you want to argue that their prices are too high, they probably are. But that's their option, easier to have 1 $40 customer than 4 $10 customers. I suppose they're hoping people will be willing to pay rather than move elsewhere.

But the fact is, you've been living there for free on all these years, and now you're complaining because they want to charge you rent.

Bullshit. The deal with Photobucket was you had to put up with all the ads and not a great site because it was free. Now they want $400 a year to post a few pics online. Thats absolutely insane and you're example is not anywhere near an accurate correlation. Its not like they want a fee a year to get by or help with costs. They went from $0 to $400 a year. Thats a money grab and people at Photobucket taking a gigantic dump on people that have been using it for years.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Looked at the other options. Decided to go with Imageshack. Seemed like the best combination of ease of use, reasonable price, and app functionality.

Fear not... Emma's dancing resumes.

Now for the long slog of downloading all my photos, and re-uploading them to Imageshack.

This really sucks for long-running threads like "You Will Buy a Glock" or "Greasy Old Milsurps", which will now be page after page of broken Photobucket image links.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
They host my avatar. I just copy the second link "direct" and past into the section in SF for custom avatar.

Not sure why it wouldn't be working. I'm guessing postimage, flickr, and others servers are going to be working overtime the next few weeks.

Yeah, I tried posting my custom avatar the same exact way, no go. Not a big deal. Will try to figure something out.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16658 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm actually thrilled with this change. No more opening threads and waiting for photos to load. No more trying to enlarge photos to get a better look and being taken to the clunker of a Photobucket site. It's a win all around.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Is there a easy way to get my photo bucket images moved?

Edited: I figured it out. You can download the PB album.
I downloaded album by album to my HD, and uploaded the albums I wanted to Postimage. I had been there a long time so it took a few hours.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Up and running with Imgur....

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

I downloaded album by album to my HD, and uploaded the albums I wanted to Postimage. I had been there a long time so it took a few hours.

Where are you hosting your avatar?

Posts: 12916 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Careful when downloading your albums. GIFs and Videos are not included. They have to be downloaded individually.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Stupid question - how do you copy and paste to move your photos from photobucket?

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunthelp:
Stupid question - how do you copy and paste to move your photos from photobucket?

From the library tab you can download the album to your PC.

As a side note they deleted the 'delete album' button from the library page. You have to delete the images by selecting each one. Once the album is empty the delete tab appears. Once deleted you can delete your account.

Posts: 12916 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They want to get paid for their service, for which I cannot blame them. Apparently advertising revenue didn't keep the doors open.

But I won't pay them as the service isn't that valuable to me. There are still other free providers.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm not upset that they want to be paid, it's fine - they are a company that needs revenue to stay afloat like any other.

What pissed me off was the sneaky, underhanded way this was done; no warning or special deal offers "get it for $5 a month now before it's $400 a year!" etc. They did this without any prior warning and basically became a form of ransomware.

THAT'S why I'm done with them.

Posts: 33748 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Some of the sites I go to have the ability to let you post pictures directly from your computer. For now, here and a couple of other sites, Imgur will suffice.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
They host my avatar. I just copy the second link "direct" and past into the section in SF for custom avatar.

Not sure why it wouldn't be working. I'm guessing postimage, flickr, and others servers are going to be working overtime the next few weeks.

Yeah, I tried posting my custom avatar the same exact way, no go. Not a big deal. Will try to figure something out.
Much as I like Flickr®, have 40,000 photos posted there, and use them for my occasional direct post, I don't believe there is a way to use Flickr® to host an avatar that abides by their rules. They do allow "direct" posting to fora and boards, but only by using their tool that imbeds the photo in a frame with links back to Flickr®. That would not be ideal for an avatar. I know that some folks here have admitted to direct posting with just the photo URL (difficult to get), but they risk being thrown out of Flickr® for doing that.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Where are you hosting your avatar?
Postimage. I had to download my animated avatars one at a time since PB doesn't download them or videos with the album.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I just now deleted my photobucket account. To me it feels like they are trying to extort $400 a year from me if I ever want to see the photos I've shared online again.

Posts: 2582 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I couldn't get Postimage to put my avatar back up here no matter what I did, so I signed up with Imgur and it's working great.

Imgur has a iPhone app too which Postimage doesn't seem to have.

Should have ditched PhotoPhailBucket years ago!
Imgur's terms of Service specifically say not to use them to host an avatar.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16508 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll test it out and decide what to do.

Nope, won't let me do a direct link. I'm done with them.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I'm not upset that they want to be paid, it's fine - they are a company that needs revenue to stay afloat like any other.

What pissed me off was the sneaky, underhanded way this was done; no warning or special deal offers "get it for $5 a month now before it's $400 a year!" etc. They did this without any prior warning and basically became a form of ransomware.

THAT'S why I'm done with them.

That's how I see it as well. Using their service at no cost in exchange for my having to burn bandwidth on their various forms of advertising wasn't something I liked but I was willing to put up with initially.

But, as PB became ever more advertising centric, along with the malware & click bait websites that became prevalent while on the PB website (and frequently required logging out/ in or a complete reboot of my computer), coupled with the frequent slow/ failed uploads and service disruptions they became ever more difficult to use or tolerate. I also was email spammed by PB for a couple years, receiving 3+ emails a week from them. I sometimes wonder if PB also sold or shared my email as, at the same time I started getting emails from them I also started getting spam emails from others.

Now, out of the blue, with no warning or explanation, they throw this new TOS at their users.

Nope, I'm done with PB.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:
I just now deleted my photobucket account. To me it feels like they are trying to extort $400 a year from me if I ever want to see the photos I've shared online again.

How did you go about deleting your account?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post