SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Photobucket Problems???
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photobucket Problems??? Login/Join 
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
all the cool kids are using http://imgur.com/ now. photobucket has always sucked, now it's just that much worse.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
all the cool kids are using http://imgur.com/ now. photobucket has always sucked, now it's just that much worse.

Too old to be a cool kid but I realized that if Imgur starts charging-the internet would collapse. Imgur thumbnails are ubiquitous throughout the interweb. I just need to make my sigforum album private.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Very disappointed by this.
I learned of it when my avatar disappeared here!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
Thanks for finally giving me the nudge to get rid of Photobucket.

This morning, I finally finished downloading my pics and deleting my account with them.

Now to figure out postimage, will see if this works:

It does! Wooohooo Cool

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is now national news being picked up by all the major outlets, and the Photobucket CEO just doubled down and refused to back down from the demand for $399 a year for people to get their linked photos back.

There are people out there with thousands and thousands of photos on blogs and websites they just fucked over, not to mention eBay and Etsy sellers etc.

Photobucket just effectively put themselves out of business overnight, they just don't quite realize it yet.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The GreatMigration™ continues.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't understand. If PB has locked down the accounts and demanded money, how are people moving their photos to someplace else?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I guess I don't understand. If PB has locked down the accounts and demanded money, how are people moving their photos to someplace else?

flashguy

They sent me an email today. Hawking slawsa, tactical aprons, toilet lights, etc.
Painful anal fornication upon them.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

You can still log into your account on Photobucket's website to view and download your photos. You just can't post the photos to any other websites without ponying up the $400.

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I'm seeing all these issue. Not sure if I have the problem. I also just found I have Amazon Prime and my ex wife used it years ago. Testing...

Amazon Prime (not sure how to use on the forum)... Hmm, no idea if Amazon allows a direct link so the pic will post here. Not with the share feature.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...ieuST7ZNFIE25YJuRlHE

Photobucket

Hmm, seems photo bucket works.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Photobucket

Hmm, seems photo bucket works.

Be patient, Photobucket will get to you eventually. Wink I got an email (flagged as junk) from Photobucket today. It began:

WE NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING
PHOTOBUCKET FOR 3RD PARTY HOSTING

http://www.picturetrail.com was mentioned previously in this topic. I'm trying them out, and hopefully my avatar will return in this post.

As for some other mainstream options, imgur's TOS prohibit using them to host avatars. There is also this clause which suggests that photos posted here may end up in imgur's gallery:

If you make them publicly available, they may be featured in the gallery. This means that if you upload an image to share with your friend, only your friend will be able to access it online. However, if you share an image with Facebook, Twitter, Digg, Reddit, etc., then it may end up in the gallery.

tinypic, which is owned by Photobucket, may remove your photos after 90 days. (There is a conflict between tinypic's Wikipedia page and tinypic's FAQ. And photos posted to tinypic are all public.

As I and others learned earlier in the thread, Prime Photos is not setup for embedding photos. There is a trick to get it to work briefly, but the URL you get is only available temporarily.

Like others, but not all, I could not get postimage.io to host my avatar. I received this error message when I tried: "The provided avatar URL does not appear to be accessible." postimage.io does work with other embedded photos on SIGforum, but postimage is having its own financial problems. Excerpts from their blog in chronological order include:

"UPDATE

It appears our payment gateway decided that they don’t like image hosting sites after processing just a few payments. We unfortunately have to postpone introduction of wide-scale paid plan deployment until we have this figured out, and meanwhile revisit our plans accordingly.

It’s official: Postimage.org is in danger and needs your help.

A possible outcome is that Postimage.org will have to shut down, terminating nearly 140 million images embedded into some 450 thousand websites, first and foremost a number of great message boards (although a lot of online auctions, personal galleries and corporate websites will be affected as well)."

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Photobucket say take your shit and leave, if you choose.

http://gomn.com/news/photobuck...e-dont-want-pay-400/

Photobucket ticked off a lot of people by sneakily disabling photos its users had posted to other sites, then demanding $400 a year to make them show up again.

And after a couple weeks of building resentment, the image hosting website finally responded to the complaints.

Photobucket’s stance? We had to do this because we’re making no money, and if you don’t like it you can take your photos and leave.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I don't blame PhotoBucket if they aren't making money but the Nuclear Option approach does seem bizarre if not suicidal.
I am on PB and have not got the "message " yet.
However, I'm just going to host my own.
I have the equipment and OS software and since not being a web guy I am reviewing various software packages for this kind of thing.
Don't think it is going to be all that hard.
So PhotoBucket go ahead and shoot yourself in the head now as nobody will be going to your funeral. Eek

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had about 50 pictures on PB. About 1/2 were linked primarily here. I got the email from them today. I deleted everything and deleted acct. by by

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I have tried several hosting sites, but I keep getting the "not accessible" message when I try to edit my avatar. I assume the avatar is oversized, probably 100 X 100 rather than 60 X 60. But on Amazon Prime photos, and Imgur I don't see a way to resize.

Can anybody tell me how to make the avatar 60 X 60?

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
For Imgur:
1 - Load the image
2 - Select 'edit image' (lower right corner)
3 - Type in the size you want (upper right corner)
4 - Select 'save'

They've been hosting my avatar for about a year now.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I deleted all my photos on Photobucket, and then deleted my account. I wish them luck, but they are not getting my hard earned money.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I downloaded and kept several dozen pics and gifs in a folder in my desktop. Also deleted my PB account.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Downloading my albums from PB has become problematic.

There must be a HUGE rush on bandwidth with a mass exodus.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
For Imgur:
1 - Load the image
2 - Select 'edit image' (lower right corner)
3 - Type in the size you want (upper right corner)
4 - Select 'save'

They've been hosting my avatar for about a year now.

Thank you, bud.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post