SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Photobucket Problems???
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photobucket Problems??? Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
For avatar hosting, these free image hosting sites are known to work on SIG forum:

http://imgur.com
http://tinypic.com
http://www.picturetrail.com

For avatar hosting, these free image hosting sites are known NOT to work for everyone:

https://imgbb.com
https://postimages.org

For non-avatar 3rd party image hosting, these free sites are either known to work or should work:

http://imgur.com
http://tinypic.com
http://www.picturetrail.com
https://imgbb.com
https://postimages.org

Notes:

1) imgur's TOS seems to prohibit using them to host avatars. However after studying that section, I have concluded that imgur would not care that much if individuals used imgur to host avatars rather than say a website's software, especially if you use imgur for other purposes. Regardless, small avatars use a tiny amount of bandwidth before entering a browser's cache.

2) I declare that article in the Denver Post which states that using imgur for 3rd party hosting is against their TOS to be FAKE NEWS! 3rd party hosting is explicitly allowed. In exchange, imgur owns a copyright of your image and your image may be featured in their gallery.

3) tinypic is owned by Photobucket. I posted the details earlier, but your photos may be removed if they have not been viewed before or after a specified time period has elapsed.

4) picturetrail converts PNGs and GIFs to JPGs.

5) While not obvious, imgbb seems to require registration before their URLs work.

6) postimages seems like the best solution, but they were having financial difficulty paying their bandwidth bills. (I posted the details earlier.) I am hesitant to use them partially out of concern of them suddenly not existing, but more so since I don't want to add to their bandwidth problems which are being exacerbated by Photobucket refugees.

7) Amazon Prime Photos will not work for 3rd party hosting now. However, if enough SIG forum Prime members made suggestions to Amazon requesting permanent 3rd party links, Amazon might implement that feature. You'll be even more hooked on Amazon Prime, and if the membership fee increases to $129 / year, you'll pay $129 / year.

Signed up for post images. The Sig Forum software is barking for avatar. I get a https link with .jpg extension. Always worked in the past. Not sure why the sig forum software is barking at it. I guess I'm in the will not work For Me camp.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
I just signed up for imgur, and my avatar works. The imgur iPhone app is also convenient to easily take pics and post them.

Chris

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
tinypic testing.....

Edit: Works. So tinypic for avatars only for forum(s) software. I'll use post images for hosting pics, such as for sale items. For anyone reading this, tinypic, and post images were both easily and quickly setup. About one minute to sign up for each. Any images of family, or personal stuff, don't use these sites as they sell all your data off. Use these sites for avatars, for sale items, only.

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, I am using Tinypic as an avatar hoster for about 2 years now, no problems whatsoever.

Yes I know it is a photobucket subsidiary, but it works for now Wink .

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Testing hosting a pic via post images.

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
"details posted earlier" involve the Wikipedia page about Tinypic

"Criticism:

One of the main criticisms people have with TinyPic is that uploaded images usually get deleted within a few days or weeks reference _5_ resulting in any post or website that has used TinyPic to display a picture not found error message."

Due to
  • Universally positive reports about TinyPic from forum members

• Noticing that the reference used in the Wikipedia entry does not support the above criticism about TinyPic

I removed the unsubstantiated criticism from the TinyPic note in my proposed sticky for the SIG Forum Office. It now just includes a link to the TinyPic FAQ and what I thought was brief relevant information from their FAQ.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Tried Tinypic for my avatar, seeing if it works.

Slim the Husky who had rather be in Alaska is back!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I asked in another thread about PB about hosting images. People have said the third party linking is banned by some or all of these services. I asked why then do they exist to begin with? Mark123 answered as a repository, mark or anyone else care to expand on this? It doesn't make sense to me. There are cheap online services that do back up and cloud storage, and you can buy a inexpensive 1TB external HD to do the same thing.

I've always thought these sites existed to share photos. I signed up for photobucket in 2004 or so specifically to host pictures for MySpace.

I also thought they made money by bombarding you with spam emails to buy prints of your pictures as well as pasting the entire website with ads.

This makes no sense then to me why any of these services exist. Hopefully post image doesn't have this policy or decide to enforce it, if it does.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Tried Tinypic for my avatar, seeing if it works.

Slim the Husky who had rather be in Alaska is back!

I have used tinypic.com since 2005 here. Only once, to my knowedge, has my pic disappeared. Uploaded it again and no bubbles no troubles.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I asked in another thread about PB about hosting images. People have said the third party linking is banned by some or all of these services. I asked why then do they exist to begin with? Mark123 answered as a repository, mark or anyone else care to expand on this? It doesn't make sense to me. There are cheap online services that do back up and cloud storage, and you can buy a inexpensive 1TB external HD to do the same thing.

I've always thought these sites existed to share photos. I signed up for photobucket in 2004 or so specifically to host pictures for MySpace.

I also thought they made money by bombarding you with spam emails to buy prints of your pictures as well as pasting the entire website with ads.

This makes no sense then to me why any of these services exist. Hopefully post image doesn't have this policy or decide to enforce it, if it does.

There are a number of posts and articles in this thread that address your question. That said, the Readers Digest version is Photobucket's revenue model depended heavily on advertising dollars. With the advent of Ad Blockers, their revenue stream has been dwindling. In the past year, it has gotten critical, to the point where they have downsized their workforce, significantly. A large portion of their cost is for the bandwidth, used to serve images to third party sites. In order to stop the financial hemorrhaging, they have shut off free offsite hosting. In addition, they are changing to an all subscription service to generate revenue.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I paid for an account for several years, I think it was about $40/yr ... then last year I realized I was only using about 2gb and was paying for way more than that so I didn't renew when it came due but I paid the 99 cents a month for no ad's ...

Looks like I'll be going through my folders and see what I want to keep and what can go away ... signed up with postimg but I've got prime and I think my isp offers hosting too ... according to Photobucket I've got until 12/31 to make a decision.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So I just went to post image. you don't need to sign up? just resize for blog or email per their recommendation and then it takes you right to your photo emails on your computer?
Then you follow the sf instructions to post the pix in the thread. Am i missing something? Seem's like there are other steps, no?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I just tried tinypic and while my avatar pic shows in my sigforum edit profile area, I'm not seeing it while browsing the forum.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Oops, nevermind. I guess I just needed to make a post. Smile

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I just tried tinypic and while my avatar pic shows in my sigforum edit profile area, I'm not seeing it while browsing the forum.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Oops, nevermind. I guess I just needed to make a post. Smile

I had the same problem few days ago, when I did the switched to Tinypic. My Tinypic hosted avatar was not showing up in old threads. It eventually fixed itself. I think it was a cache issue. Either local or web server, I'm not sure.

Try clearing the cache on your browser, and see if that helps.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^ It did not help for older posts but I'll give it some time, thanks.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've been seeing a lot of squashed avatars and they sometimes correct themselves when paging back and forth.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So I just went to post image. you don't need to sign up?

You can host images there anonymously.

But you can also sign up, for free, and set up folders and save your photos for future use.

My Avatar and all my forum post photos are served from there.

No limit to the number of photos, and no auto deletion of photos ever, even if inactive. They do limit you to uploading 100 photos at a time Big Grin
No "adult" and no copyrighted material allowed they say.

They have been close to shutting down in the past due to funding issues but seem to have worked that out with a big sponsor and increased ads.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
This is now national news being picked up by all the major outlets, and the Photobucket CEO just doubled down and refused to back down from the demand for $399 a year for people to get their linked photos back.

There are people out there with thousands and thousands of photos on blogs and websites they just fucked over, not to mention eBay and Etsy sellers etc.

Photobucket just effectively put themselves out of business overnight, they just don't quite realize it yet.

Weird, I paid 3-4 years ago for an advanced account as I have tens of thousands of photos & wanted more storage & options.
I'm not getting the ...

When I post like I'm seeing with some other folks.
Is this a thing for everyone with an account?
Or is it a hit & miss and some can still post pics without having yet upgraded and they just haven't gotten around to everyone?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks cparktd, that was helpful. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Weird, I paid $25 3-4 years ago for an advanced account as I have tens of thousands of photos & wanted more storage & options.

Is this a fine thing for everyone with an account?
Or is it a hit & miss and some can still post pics without having yet upgraded ?

You're OK until December 31, 2018. From http://blog.photobucket.com/pl...-changes-photobucket :

If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017, you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your subscription.

The subscribers with a free Photobucket plan are the ones scrambling to find a new hosting site.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post