SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This Caught Me Off Guard!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Caught Me Off Guard! Login/Join 
Picture of Rover88
posted
I was running a service call last evening in Hagerstown, MD, at a chain restaurant (something between "fast food" and "casual dining"). I had to wait for a Network Operations Center to get back to me, so I was out in the parking lot at my vehicle having a cigarette.

I was parked next to the handicapped parking slots when a rather well-seasoned mini van (with a handicapped placard, or, as my 96-year-old aunt calls it, a "gimp card," on the mirror) pulled into the slot next to me.

The driver (male, early 50's (?)), got out, retrieved one of those walker/seat things from the back, and took it to the passenger side of the van (nearest me), and handed off to the passenger, a guy easily into his 80's. I assumed it was the older guy's son, and that he was going to assist him the rest of the way.

The driver gets back in the van, and the older guy starts trying to navigate toward the doors. This restaurant has an air-lock entry, with two doors that open out and require some pull.

Since the van driver was apparently an asshole, I asked the old guy if he needed a hand with the door (walker, strong doors opening out--pretty obvious) and went to help him. It was at this point that I noticed his "Korean War Veteran" hat.

As I held the second door for him, and before I had a chance to say anything, he turned to me and said "Thank you for your service." This so surprised me I'm not sure of my response.

He came out about a half-hour later with a similarly-aged friend he had met for dinner, so the friend held the doors this time. As he was getting back into his van, he said to me "Thanks again for your service." This time, at least, I was able to respond with "And thank YOU for YOUR service."

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. You know there are almost enough quality people out there to make up for the assholes!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1125 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't be too quick to judge the "kid." Maybe he has heard this line one too many times from the old codger: "goddamnit son I can open my own goddamn door!"

(Probably not though Smile) And good for you.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The old guy came from a generation where thoughtfulness, good manners and consideration for others were qualities to strive for and live by.

Those aren't quite extinct yet, but certainly on the wane.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post