SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Backpack recommendations: bullet proof, please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backpack recommendations: bullet proof, please Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
call me a skeptic - but this seems to be a feel-good item with very limited utility. Great marketing to tug at the heartstrings, but not very useful.

So what is too prevent harm to the legs, head, front of body, etc? And, is the protection valid only for handgun rounds and likely not effective for rifle calibers?
Well, most shootings are with a pistol.

Question - If you are getting shot at, would you prefer something to place over your head / vitals, or would you prefer just to be a bullet sponge?

I'm not saying these are high percentage use items, but police wear body armor. Soldier wear body armor.

I consider this like a fire extinguisher. Hope to never use it, will likely never use it - but if I need it, I'll be glad to have it.

Both my kids and myself have backpack inserts - pistol only, but it's far better than nothing.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Duct tape trauma plates to them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
With all due respect, have you considered and minimized the other risks?
This chart puts it in perspective.

http://www.aei.org/publication...ood-in-their-mouths/

Amen, brother.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Get them a helmet, too.

“Approximately 475,000 traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) occur in children <14 years old annually.1
Children ages 0-4 years are at highest risk for TBIs.1
There are an estimated 64,000 hospitalizations annually for TBI in children.2
TBI in children may be been associated with $1 billion in total hospital charges annually.3
Approximately 2 out of 5 traumatic brain injuries among children are associated with participation in sports and recreational activities.4,5
TBI from unintentional trauma is one of the primary causes of death among U.S. youths.”

http://www.braininjuryeducatio...ury-in-children.html

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Guys, yeah, it may be a little over cautious to put plates in your kids' backpacks.

But these are his kids. He wants to protect them. Are the odds of a TBI better than the odds of getting shot? Yes, much greater risk.

Kids aren’t going to wear a helmet for dear ole dad. I just ain’t going to happen. He may convince them to keep a plate in their backpack. It’s just added protection and a little bit of peace of mind for him.

Maybe we can stop flipping him shit and give him useful suggestions for what he is looking for.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Off and on over the years I’ve thought about getting plates and a carrier. Not for daily use but as part of the kit for SHTF situation.

4-5 years out from retiring and moving across country, I am trying to limit (somewhat) what I’ll have to drag with me. I’m done buying guns, got all I could use and more. Like many of us, my ammo stockpile would make regional if not national news if I were to ever do something stupid.

The “Defense budget” that used to be spent on guns and ammo, has been freed up for other things. With the prices on rifle certified plates seeming to have come down quite a bit and most of my other, higher priority, “wants” fulfilled I find myself perusing armor again.

Since I am a fat-boy (48” pants, 2-3X shirt) I am concerned about “one size fits most” carriers and a Backpack might be a “better” option.

Still in my “research and planning” phase but timeline may be getting accelerated with current rumblings in DC on the topic.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Just buy a "hiking" style backpack that has a camelbak/water bladder sleeve and then get a Level III or Level IV plate to stick in.

This is the route we went. Simple, strong backpacks then insert light weight 3A plates.

Sure it will only work on pistols or knives but perhaps most importantly it's something to get the kids thinking and practicing what it means to carry concealed -- meaning specifically not running your mouth and showing things off to your friends.

I found 3A hard inserts for @ $40 each, so I though it would be a valuable training tool.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
OP, don't fret the haters here - most of them carry only when it suits them because it's statistically unlikely to ever need a gun and likely spend all day bowing & scraping to SWMBO. Wink

Back OT, a pistol rated plate for a small backpack will weigh less than a pound and be virtually un-noticeable to the wearer. It fits easily in any backpack with a laptop holder or in some of the specially made Vertx backpacks. I have a 10x12 pistol rated one in mine and while I travel, it goes everywhere with me - airports, planes, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the Maxpedition here https://www.maxpedition.com/pa...ared-citizen-classic

I went with the black and put a 7.62 rated plate in the pocket. yeah, it's heavy, deal with it.
Goes into work with me and sets at my feet all day. Just another layer. Only had it about 3 months now. shows no wear inside or out and is really pretty incognito. Reasonably priced.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a law suit by the widow of a friend many years ago, the largest maker of ballistic vests changed their advertising from "bullet proof" to "bullet resistant."

It's more than semantics.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"It's more than semantics."
Yea but the difference is really not relevant when buying body armor. Any armor you buy should be NIJ rated and tested. And you should make a conscious decision about what level protection you are buying. And within those ratings you will get the performance described.
Me personally in a backpack see no reason for pistol rated plates at least for anyone who is of the stature to carry a rifle rated plate.
I've bought a lot of armor over the years but recently had decent experience for LIV plates with Ar500armor.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do the Israelis do to protect their kids? Instead of exclusively using technology they use humans trained to recognize threats among other methods. They seem to be ahead of the curve when it comes to this stuff.

Each to his own when protecting kids. In my opinion, time and money is better spent on mental preparation and talking with your children.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure my old math book would have stopped most pistol rounds...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I thought about taking some old soft armor and sticking it in a bookbag.

I had a spare AR500 III plate that I stuck in a laptop bag, it's heavy for a kid.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I've no experience with bulletproof backpacks but I would suggest a couple of door stops for barricading interior doors if need be and a couple of large ball bearings for breaking windows for escape.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

No kidding. By the time the kid gets all their books in the backpack, it'll stop an RPG... but they'll fall over backwards if they try to stand upright.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
^^^^^^^^^^^
For sure, but if you can give yourself or your child an edge for $100-200, why not?

Exactly.

Getting them to carry it is the strong consideration.

Because with all the books carried, the backpacks are heavy enough without an armor plate and probably capable of stopping all handgun rounds and many rifle rounds?

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

But everything is electronic now - no books. The backpack is mainly for a computer, notebook and lunch.

I’m looking at the plate inserts. Thanks all.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post