SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Backpack recommendations: bullet proof, please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backpack recommendations: bullet proof, please Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted
It's back to school time and I'm considering going the bullet proof route. I don't want a fly-by-night pack, but something that is LEO worthy.

Anyone with a recommendation?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what threat level?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
The trade off: more weight the better the defense, but heavier in the back.

Pistol calibers seem the most practical, but I'd really like to have rifle caliber in a pistol caliber weight.

Just my 2¢

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Red Oxx makes top-quality gear in Montana (not China). Well worth considering.

https://www.redoxx.com/

ETA...if you actually mean 'bullet-proof' (not just tough), Red Oxx won't have what you're looking for. They make top-quality gear...but not bullet proof.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Just buy a "hiking" style backpack that has a camelbak/water bladder sleeve and then get a Level III or Level IV plate to stick in.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Don’t buy a backpack in hopes of it saving your life. If you have enough concern to wear body armor on the daily, then get a proper vest that will really protect you, and still be fairly comfortable. Check out AR500 Armor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beancooker,

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Don’t buy a backpack in hopes of it saving your life. If you have enough concern to wear body armor on the daily, then get a proper vest that will really protect you, and still be fairly comfortable. Check out A500 Armor.

It's not about hoping to save your life, it's about giving one more level of help should that ever be needed.

Not everything is tactical. Keep that in mind.

Just my 2¢

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Cool. I get where you’re coming from.
Check out the plates at AR500. Throw one in a backpack. You should be good to go brother.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beancooker,

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Wait. Is this backpack for a child? Is this something he/she will want to carry?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2839 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a company that does what you are asking.

https://www.fortifiedprotectio...sXhsDAmwpS5Wau18AZXg

Full disclosure- I do not have a financial interest in the company, however, I know one of the owners who is a former cop and is a very humble, down to earth guy.

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a kifaru Antero.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Vertx is the pack I use daily, Gamut I believe. Quick access concealed carry zipper and you could easily slide a plate in the main area.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Just buy a "hiking" style backpack that has a camelbak/water bladder sleeve and then get a Level III or Level IV plate to stick in.
This.

Vertex makes low vis styles that have a plate sleeve.

You can get rifle certified plates and pistol weights, but it's gonna cost ya... Wink About $500 a plate.

And even for a child, a lightweight rifle plate is going to be too heavy (around 3-5 lbs).

I went with pistol inserts which are under 1-lb.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
With all due respect, have you considered and minimized the other risks?
This chart puts it in perspective.

http://www.aei.org/publication...ood-in-their-mouths/

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
For sure, but if you can give yourself or your child an edge for $100-200, why not?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
call me a skeptic - but this seems to be a feel-good item with very limited utility. Great marketing to tug at the heartstrings, but not very useful.

So what is too prevent harm to the legs, head, front of body, etc? And, is the protection valid only for handgun rounds and likely not effective for rifle calibers?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I have a Vertx sling pack that can take armor. If I was using it in that role, I could easily rotate it around to cover my chest.

Most packs only take a pistol caliber rated soft armor. If your concern is standing up to the rifle caliber mass shootings we're seeing more of, there’s not many choices I think.

UHMWPE Is interesting and can be shoved in a pack loose but can you be sure it’s sitting in the right position to protect your vitals? I think it is probably to thick to fit in the armor pockets of most packs.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
^^^^^^^^^^^
For sure, but if you can give yourself or your child an edge for $100-200, why not?

Exactly.

Getting them to carry it is the strong consideration.

Just my 2¢

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
call me a skeptic - but this seems to be a feel-good item with very limited utility

I lean this way myself.

Around here the kids are not allowed to carry backpacks around school anyway. They're either hanging in the classroom (younger kids) or in a locker (older kids).

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Less that two pounds and only $129.

https://www.ar500armor.com/ar5...soft-body-armor.html

No, I don’t work for, and am not affiliated with AR500.

quote:
The “lol” thread