SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun Safe Project - Handyman Special
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Safe Project - Handyman Special Login/Join 
posted
I stopped by my local gun safe store and noticed they have a collection of gun safes for sale that flooded during Harvey. They mucked the safes, so it’s basically a body, door and locking mechanism, but no lock. They’re handyman specials that can be finished out or used in the garage to store ammo as is, if one desires.

If the rust has been mitigated and and locking mechanism functions well, would you buy one to fix up to store your guns in? (Assuming all-in-cost is well below price of a new safe)

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There is nothing more destructive in nature then water, so says my Army Corps Of Engineer Friend. It basically cut the Grand Canyon.

With that said, I don’t want anything that was flooded unless it is a dabloon or few hundred.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Is all of the insulation out of them? If so they're probably salvageable for alternate uses. If not I wouldn't want to mess with them. Lots of mold and other nasty stuff grows in that gypsum board after it has been wet.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Is all of the insulation out of them? If so they're probably salvageable for alternate uses. If not I wouldn't want to mess with them. Lots of mold and other nasty stuff grows in that gypsum board after it has been wet.

Yes, all the insulation is out of them. There’s one I am interested in and walls look good and no smell to it. The locking mechanism and pins look perfect.

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I dunno, water can be pretty powerful according to this guy:

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
So it’s a steel box, right? Nothing really inside? If they were significantly cheap then yea, I’d consider it for sure. Easy enough to strip the metal down, if necessary, and refinish.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun project. Make sure the welds aren’t compromised.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The flood water that inundated my sister's house in Houston had a lot of sewage mixed in with it, because the lines from under the streets backed up through the toilets and drains. Be careful to disinfect that safe and watch out for any sharp edges.

I probably wouldn't want to mess with anything like that, myself.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What brands and price? If they were less than $1,000 new, I wouldn't mess with them. On the other hand, if you could could pick up an otherwise nice Ft Knox for a couple hundred bucks.

Posts: 10909 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post