SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carpet - Nylon or Polyester?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carpet - Nylon or Polyester? Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
Long story sort. Over the years the cats have ruined the carpet in a room with all the peeing in the corner so its time to replace it. This room is one of two joined together so we need to replace the carpet in both rooms for a total area of about 450sf. The original carpet is 12 years old so there is no exact match to be found.

So, the Polyester carpet is about half if not less than Nylon but Polyester does not hold up as well as Nylon. These rooms are used mot by the cats than by humans so they don't see a lot of traffic. Don't know how much longer we may live in this house. Maybe 10 years tops. If the cards fall right, I may be out next year but no guarantees on that.

The one thing I am not sure of is stain resistance. The cats prefer to have the soft carpeting under their feet instead of the cold tile when depositing that hairball on the floor.

I'd like to go cheaper but don't want to replace it in a couple years and end up paying more when putting in a better Nylon carpet. In another 5 years the rest of the carpeting may need to be replaced. I'd be fine replacing it then if need be.

Is it worth going cheap now of just bite the bullet and go with Nylon.

Thanks.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We solved the problem. Always in the past we have had houses with carpeting, but we have finally got rid of all of it. Our house is now all ceramic tile with the exception of the living/family room area which is hardwood flooring. I would never go back.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I would look at carpet made with nylon type 6.6 fiber made by DuPont or Monsanto for resiliency and overall wear and performance, or carpet made with Dupont SmartStrand PTT. (Not Pet polyester)
With either I would only consider BCF continuous filament fiber to eliminate any chance of pilling or fuzzing fibers. I believe Smartstrand is only BCF.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I put Mohawk brand everstrand polyester carpet in my basement. Made out of recycled plastic bottles water just beads up. Great for pets. I didn't use a pad because basement has been wet before. Not in several years but you never know. With no pad, a shop vac will clean up a mess. Dog pee beads up like water and is very easy to clean.

Menards usually $2 sq ft on sale right now for $1.50. I'd buy it again but be prepared for static shock. No worse than other synthetics but no better.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
Polyester or PET yard has a natural ability to resist staining, think of the yard like a carrot where the color and stain protectant is all through the yard, where nylon is like a radish the color stain protectant is on the out side of the yard. Nylon does wear better than polyester but I have replaced more carpet that "ugly outs" than wears out. Some of the new Soft Strand carpet cleans up stains very well. If you really dont want to deal with the source of the problem Charlie has the best suggestion. Pet stains usually end up in the pad.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wool

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gutpile Charlie:
We solved the problem. Always in the past we have had houses with carpeting, but we have finally got rid of all of it. Our house is now all ceramic tile with the exception of the living/family room area which is hardwood flooring. I would never go back.

whereabouts is that?

wouldn't enjoy ceramic tile in a house where almost half the year the outdoor temps are below 40 degrees

i think your concept would be fine for warmer climates

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Long story sort. Over the years the cats have ruined the carpet in a room with all the peeing in the corner so its time to replace it. This room is one of two joined together so we need to replace the carpet in both rooms for a total area of about 450sf. The original carpet is 12 years old so there is no exact match to be found.

So, the Polyester carpet is about half if not less than Nylon but Polyester does not hold up as well as Nylon. These rooms are used mot by the cats than by humans so they don't see a lot of traffic. Don't know how much longer we may live in this house. Maybe 10 years tops. If the cards fall right, I may be out next year but no guarantees on that.

The one thing I am not sure of is stain resistance. The cats prefer to have the soft carpeting under their feet instead of the cold tile when depositing that hairball on the floor.

I'd like to go cheaper but don't want to replace it in a couple years and end up paying more when putting in a better Nylon carpet. In another 5 years the rest of the carpeting may need to be replaced. I'd be fine replacing it then if need be.

Is it worth going cheap now of just bite the bullet and go with Nylon.

Thanks.

Give me a call. 10 years in fire/water and odor control clean up. My specialty was URINE from animals. 80% of that were cat related.

four two five tree zippy uno 0790

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^. Will do in the morning.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post