SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carburated engine question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carburated engine question Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I'm hoping that someone can give me a little knowledge on what may be going on with my 73 Nova.

BACKGROUND:

-1973 Nova hatchback with a ZZ4 crate engine, approximately 40k miles on the engine, which is around 16 years old, I think.

- the car went into long period of storage, from late 2007 until Sept 2017. It was only started 2-3 times in that period. The lat time it was started was about 3 years ago. It was allowed to run the tank dry.

- Prior to bringing it back into regular service the Holley 750 carb was completely disassembled, soaked in cleaner, and rebuilt using a freshly purchased Holley rebuild kit.

- Let's assume we adjusted the carb correctly, at least as it relates to idle speed, curb idle, and float levels. We used a vac guage as the manual calls for and I think we got it right

- fresh gas

- New rubber hose from the hardline on the frame to the mechanical fuel pump, and new lines from the pump to the carb. New fuel filter as well.

THE PROBLEM:

If you get on the gas even moderately aggressively, even when the engine is fully warmed, it falls on it's face for a second, hesitates, then catches up. It devoped this problem before it was put up for storage. Shortly before it stopped getting used the engine got new plugs and a new HEI distro cap. I hoped the carb rebuild would eliminate the problem, but it didn't so there must be another problem somewhere else, but I don't know enough to know where to start looking.

Any help?

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spark advance, timing is where I would look.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
also check your accelerator pump.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
accelerator pump working? OR pumping too much gas?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you replace your fuel filter?

Check your fuel pump and accelerator pump.

Ensure no vacuum leaks.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Did you replace the power valve in the carb? Mechanical or vacuum secondaries?

Check the advance mechinism in the distributor, mechanical and vacuum. Is the vacuum advance connected to the correct type of vacuum from the engine (manifold or ported)? Manifold is below the throttle plate, ported is above.

As long as compression and valve timing are good it should be something in fuel or spark.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you haven't already replaced the power valve, I'd start with that.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know you said you rebuilt the carb, but that kind of stumble is more often than not an accelerator pump. Without running the engine, look down the carb throat as you stroke the throttle. There should be two streams of fuel pretty convincingly shooting out. And I know you said you adjusted the float level, but if there isn't enough fuel in the bowl, it will also stumble. The fuel pump, whatever type it is, should put out around 8 psi and pump a minimum of a pint every 30 seconds. (If the engine won't run that long with just the fuel in the bowl, that is a clue.) If all this is good, then look at the timing and advance. Pretty much what everybody else said.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Id lean towards accelerator pump. And verify the choke os fully open once at operating temp.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of my suggestions have already been posted....accelerator pump, dist advance and timing, etc. I own a number of carburated autos, as I can work on them....not on FI cars.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
Lean or rich tip-in may be visible on an aftermarket air-fuel gauge with wideband sensor. Innovate make one, as do AEM; there are probably others.

Data is a lovely thing...

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Does it pop back through the carb?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Accelerator pump circuit.

I'm really not a fan of Holleys, I prefer a QuadraJet.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Yes, new fuel filter.

Vacuum secondary...

Seems the consensus is the accelerator pump is the first thing to check... how can I troubleshoot that?

When I stroke the throttle while watching I do see two streams of fuel shooting out.

And let me add this too as it might help... when I hit the gas, whether at idle or while cruising it doesn’t immediately hesitate, it starts to rev up for maybe half a second before falling for another second then it catches and goes.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Checking the accelerator pump is pretty simple. Remove air cleaner and manually operate the throttle linkage to wide open. You should see two streams of fuel shoot from the squirter into the venturi. It's mounted ahead of and in-between the front two barrels. The volume and duration of the accelerator pump can be tuned but the first thing is to check it's working.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Check the fuel bowl float level also, had one that had a pin prick leak in it and gave me major headaches before figuring it out.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Maybe the jetting is wrong due the change in gasoline formulation.
Have you tried some non-ethanol gas?
Also check that the distributor advance is working properly.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Accelerator pump. The diaphragms on the pump as well as pull offs and other dashpots loose vacuum due to the rubber failing from setting, with fuel, dry rot and such.

Look at the simple, obvious and "free" solutions first.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Is the stumble at WOT or PT?

Those Holley's with vacuum secondaries have a lag when transitioning to WOT. That is why I prefer a mechanical secondary carburetor.

I had a virtually new 650 Spreadbore vacuum secondary that the only way I could make it dump the back barrels correctly was to put a machine screw and nut into the secondaries linkage as a stop to positively open them up. I got tired of screwing around with the diaphragm springs and checking adjustments until I was blue in the face with no improvement. Secondary engagement would occur but it was a smooth opening, not the instant four barrel "dump" that the car needed.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Try disconnecting the vacuum hose at the distributor. Could be broken wire at the HEI distributor pick up coil.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post