SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about flux core welding....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about flux core welding.... Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I'm repurposing some steel racks into overhead storage for my garage and the job calls for some light welding work. Back in high school I took a welding class and we did oxy-acetylene and arc, but not wore fed. Until recently I didn't know you could do wire fed without gas, I guess it's called flux core?

Anyway, it seems cheap and handy for someone who will be using it maybe 2-3 times a year...

So I'm hoping to get some opinions on this type of welding as a light home use tool. Also, is it reasonable to think I can figure out how to do it given previous experience (15 years ago though) or is wire fed difficult?

Lastly, and likely most controversial, Harbor Freight has one for about $80 after coupon. I've had a lot of success with many harbor freight tools for my limited use so it is a product I would consider, but maybe someone has experience they can share?

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 90amp harbor freight welder and it works ok on sheet metal and other light weight metals. It was worth the 80 bucks i payed 8 years ago for it.

If you have used any good welder you can definitely tell its cheap, but it can work for you, should be fine to put some angle iron together and sheet metal for an over head rack in a grarge

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Anyway, it seems cheap and handy for someone who will be using it maybe 2-3 times a year...
Better plan on buying flux holding oven to keep it dry enough or you'll be making a big deposit in the swear jar. Not only does flux moist flux core wire feed like crap, you're opening yourself up to hydrogen induced cracking.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Better plan on buying flux holding oven to keep it dry enough or you'll be making a big deposit in the swear jar. Not only does flux moist flux core wire feed like crap, you're opening yourself up to hydrogen induced cracking.

I'm
Afraid I don't follow... huh?

For what it is worth the current project is being built from 1" square tube that appears 1/8th inch thick.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

I'm
Afraid I don't follow... huh?

For what it is worth the current project is being built from 1" square tube that appears 1/8th inch thick.
The purpose of the flux core is so that your low hydrogen welding wire is welding and cooling in a low oxygen environment. When the flux absorbs moisture (e.g. humidity) and if the wire feed gun actually feeds it then the heat of the welding splits the water into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen in the weld as it transitions from a molten pool into a solid can cause cracking (i.e. hydrogen induced cracking).

Depending on manufacturer specs, you'll need to bake the flux core wire 6 to 12 hours to drive the moisture out.

In other words, you can get some really shitty welds if you leave flux core sitting on the spool and use it 2 to 3 times per year. I don't know how humid Modesto is, but in Houston unless you have an oven for your flux core most people don't get a 2nd use out of a spool.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I have done flux core and gas welding with my wire feed. I like the blue shield or argon a whole lot better than the flux core. YMMV.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post