SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Measles in Europe
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measles in Europe Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted
I was stationed in Baumholder West Germany in the early 70's and keep up with some of the things going on there. Below was posted today about the Measles problem in Europe. You think it's coming in with all those fine refugees they let in?

Baumholder Military Community
4 hrs ·
Family Members Vulnerable to Measles Outbreaks in Europe
There are measles outbreaks in several European countries. Almost all cases have occurred in individuals not properly immunized against the disease. The most seriously affected countries are Italy and Romania. However, France, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Ukraine are seeing a significant number of cases and Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Iceland, Hungary, Portugal, Spain, and Sweden have experienced a few cases.
Measles can be a very serious, even fatal, illness and is especially severe in babies and elderly persons. However, there is a very safe and effective vaccine available to prevent this disease. The vast majority of Americans are already immunized against measles, having received at least two doses of the MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) vaccine in early childhood.
Two groups of people in the American military community are particularly vulnerable to measles infection:
1. Family members who were not subject to the US immunization schedule as children, for example, foreign born spouses. To help protect your family when traveling around Europe, we recommend that you review your shot records to ensure that everyone is fully vaccinated against measles.
2. Children under one year old traveling to high risk areas. Children under one are too young to receive the first regularly scheduled measles vaccine. This is a concern if they are travelling to an area affected by a measles outbreak. In such cases, US authorities allow for the early administration of measles vaccine to provide protection until the regular measles series can be started at 12 months of age. This early dose can be given as early as six months. However, this early dose is additional and does not replace the first shot in the normal immunization schedule.
If you would like to discuss protecting your infant with an early dose of measles vaccine, or would like assistance reviewing your family members’ immunization status, please schedule an appointment with your Primary Care team.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
You think it's coming in with all those fine refugees they let in?

Wherever it “came” from, the underlying problem is the antivaccination delusions that many people today suffer from.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47408 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My daughter had gotten her second dose of the MMR vaccine less than a week before she and my wife traveled to France. I was debating whether it was a good idea to get the shots right before they flew, but I'm glad now that she did get it after reading that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Hey! That's part of the tactics we used to reduce the Native American population and eventually take over their domain. I'm glad to see the Mooslims have learned this tactic and will soon own Europe. (Sarc).

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
TB and HIV in EU are also increasing recently.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.../03/170320120359.htm

Posts: 9502 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I am over-vaccinated. Due to the contact I have with internationals, I had my doctor give me a couple of boosters for MMR and TDAP.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
It's not just Europe now.

A recent outbreak of measles is the latest public health problem among Somalis who live in metropolitan Minneapolis-St.Paul, Minnesota, home to the largest Somali community in the country.
Measles now joins active tuberculosis as a public health problem within Minnesota’s Somali community.

“During the five years between 2010 and 2014, 732 cases of active TB were diagnosed in Minnesota. Of these, 81 percent, or 593, were foreign-born. Of foreign-born cases, 50 percent, or 296, were refugees, according to “The Epidemiology of Tuberculosis in Minnesota, 2010-2014,” a report published by the Minnesota Department of Health,” Breitbart News noted in October.

“Twenty-nine percent of the 593 foreign-born cases of active TB diagnosed in Minnesota [between 2012 and 2015], or 161, were attributed to Somali born migrants. Almost all Somali migrants to the United States have arrived under the federal refugee resettlement program,” Breitbart News reported at the time.

“The Hennepin County measles outbreak grew to 20 cases Monday, after eight new infections were confirmed. State health officials said all the cases have occurred within the Somali-American community, and they urged parents to get the measles vaccine for themselves and their children if they are unvaccinated,” the Star Tribune reported last week:

The outbreak is expected to produce many more cases and could exceed the 2011 outbreak of 26 cases, according to Kris Ehresmann, infectious disease director at the Minnesota Health Department.

So far, all of those who have caught the measles in this outbreak are 5 years old or younger. Exposure has occurred at several day care centers.

Since the first case was detected two weeks ago, health investigators have been trying to identify anyone unvaccinated exposed to the virus, which is highly contagious. It can take up to three weeks for measles symptoms to develop.

“The Health Department recommended Monday that the schedule for a second dose be accelerated for any Somali-American children who had received the initial shot, which they said is a common practice during outbreaks,” the Star Tribune reported:

“The Health Department recommended Monday that the schedule for a second dose be accelerated for any Somali-American children who had received the initial shot, which they said is a common practice during outbreaks,” the Star Tribune reported:

The eight new infections in this outbreak include for the first time at least one baby under 12 months, an age group that has been of concern to public health officials because they typically lack immunity protection.

Investigators have examined the vaccination records of 16 of those infected, and none of them had received the MMR shot. Records for the other four are still being collected.

Measles symptoms include coughing, a sore throat, fever and a blotchy skin rash. It can lead to pneumonia and encephalitis, or swelling of the brain, and in same cases is fatal.

“According to a health department official, Minnesota’s Somali immigrant community has been a particular target of the anti-vaccination movement, colloquially known as ‘anti-vaxxers,’ ” Mic.com reported last week:

“They’re very much engaged with and targeting this community,” Kris Ehresmann, infectious disease division director at the Minnesota Health Department, said in a phone call Wednesday.

According to Ehresmann, anti-vaccine groups began to target the Somali community around 2008, amid concerns about autism among Somali-American children. Anti-vaccine groups started reaching out to the Somali community and showing up at community health meetings, she said, disseminating misinformation linking autism to the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine, or MMR.

Since then, the population has seen a “steady decline in MMR vaccine rates.”

“At least one high-profile figure in the anti-vaccine movement has made special trips just to speak to Somali immigrants. In 2011, Andrew Wakefield, a man who has been called the “father of the anti-vaccine movement,” showed up in Minnesota in the midst of what was then the state’s first major measles outbreak in years, the Star Tribune reported at the time,” Mic.com added.

Ehresmann said that wasn’t Wakefield’s first trip to speak to Somali families in Minnesota — she believes he visited once before, in 2008, when anti-vaxxers were first arriving to spread misinformation.

Wakefield, the now-disgraced British doctor who published a widely shared and subsequently discredited paper implying a link between vaccines and autism, traveled to Minneapolis to hold a private forum for Somali immigrants. The meeting was described at the time as a “support group” for families of autistic children, the Star Tribune reported.

Hennepin County is also the site of two recent cases of active tuberculosis at local public high schools, as Breitbart News reported in February:

Another case of active tuberculosis (TB) has been diagnosed in Hennepin County, Minnesota public schools, local officials confirmed on Wednesday.
The new case has been diagnosed in “a person at Central Middle School in Eden Prairie,” KARE TV reports.

This marks the second time in two months Hennepin County Department of Health officials have confirmed that a person at a public school in the county has been diagnosed with active TB.

In January, Hennepin County Public Health Department officials reported that a person at St. Louis Park High School had been diagnosed with active TB.

The letter to parents from St. Louis Park Public Schools informing them of the case of active TB in January was sent in three languages: English, Spanish, and Somali, Breitbart News reported.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...as-somali-community/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
TB and HIV in EU are also increasing recently.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.../03/170320120359.htm
TB is increasing here in the US from all the unhealthy people crossing the border, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
Hey! That's part of the tactics we used to reduce the Native American population and eventually take over their domain. I'm glad to see the Mooslims have learned this tactic and will soon own Europe. (Sarc).

Where is your sarcasm located--in the entire post, or just Muslims in Europe. There may be a follow-up.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
TMats--Entire post.

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
TB is increasing here in the US from all the unhealthy people crossing the border, too.

flashguy

Same happening here in UK. Until about five years ago there was 100% zero TB here. Now it is commonplace.

Middle Europe is the breeding ground.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Greco, since you said you were being sarcastic, I'm not certain if you were serious about deliberately targeting Indian tribes with disease epidemics as a means to kill them off in large numbers.

The British were reliably accused of targeting Indians at Ft Pitt in the 18th century. While epidemics raged through most American Indian tribes--especially during the first half of the 19th century, there is no evidence that the American government explicitly targeted tribes. Granted, that may be because they did not want to leave tracks, but most epidemics seemed to just follow westward movement of exploration and appears to have been spread incidental to the gold rushes and settlement. Pioneering American we hardly sophisticated about epidemiology

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
TMats

See: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/p/pl...n=main;view=fulltext

However, immigrants overrunning the border without being examined for contagious diseases does constitute a major health hazard.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Putting blame where it's due...not all vaccinations are equal. A friend of mine brought a mumps outbreak back from Canada in early 2016. CDC was involved. Big pain in the ass...and everyone, he included, had been vaccinated.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
My daughter is an MD and the anti immunization loons drive her and her colleagues crazy with their junk science.

I was involved with Rotary for many years and it is the goal of Rotary to wipe out polio by providing or supporting immunization programs worldwide. It is heartbreaking that polio is resurgent in some areas due to ignorance, superstition, and religious beliefs getting in the way of child immunizations. It just follows that other diseases will see a resurgence as well. We have dodged the bullet on the really bad ones like ebola and plague and the like but the risk grows with migration and population density

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Coincidentally to this thread, my 5 yr old came home from Kindergarten today (she goes to school in Paris, FR) and said that in class today they talked about "shots". She told the class she has had many shots at the doctor. (she's fully up to date with the US vaccine schedule) She told us several other kids said they have never had shots before. I guess it is not required here, and it is scary knowing the outbreaks of things like Measles coming through. I'm not sure why those other parents don't see the risk to their kids and others. At one point we used to live in Kommiefornia where there was also a huge issue with people not immunizing their kids.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is heartbreaking that polio is resurgent in some areas due to ignorance, superstition, and religious beliefs getting in the way of child immunizations.

There's just no excuse for this one. Polio was still an active scourge when I was a kid in the 50s...iron lungs, walking with crutches if they were lucky enough to get up, etc. And then Dr. Salk did his thing and we were immediately on the way to that shit being eliminated here in the states. If some of today's skeptical parents had ever seen the consequences of those illnesses up close and personal, they'd probably change their tunes regarding the tested and proven vaccines we have available today.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:

The germ theory of disease wasn't developed until centuries after Columbus. Viruses after that. Measales, diphtheria, and smallpox were the big killers. It's regular agreed that 90% of the population crash in the Americas was due to disease. The Native Americans had little to no immunity. The Europeans had some immunity from having lived with the disease.
Measales is highly contagious. You have to have almost 100% of the population vaccinated to keep it under control.

The Great Plains smallpox epidemic is an example of how disease can spread.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...ns_smallpox_epidemic

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Lost the hearing in my right ear from measles.

Ironic that the vaccination came out one month after my hearing loss.

Firehouses distributed it on sugar cubes.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Everybody always talks about the diseases brought to the New World but they have pretty much proven that Columbus brought the French disease(Syphilis) to Europe from the Americas. Seems like anytime foreign groups of people have moved they bring something with them.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post