SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to NYC for 4 days, any advice?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to NYC for 4 days, any advice? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It has been a long time since I lived in that area, but I always liked the Museum of Natural History, and the Planetarium.

I remember getting off the escalator on the second floor of the Planetarium and seeing a sign that informed me which direction for the Solar System and rest rooms. Yeah, probably needed the mens room, it was a long trip to the Solar System. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
It's been years since we were in NYC.

One time we booked the Novotel on Times Square. through Priceline. It's a French hotel, we had a great room looking to Times Square, very inexpensive.

We loved the Museum of Modern Art.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'll second McSorley's Old Ale House, a great mid afternoon stop, grab a seat, order a light or dark, some cheese and crackers, its a gotta go location.

https://www.zagat.com/r/mcsore...d-ale-house-new-york

Plenty of good suggestions already, stay out of cabs, very expensive, learn the subway routes and take it if you need to cross town or go a significant distance. No Mansplaining LOL

Go to Canal Street for some hustle and bustle, street hawking, fake rolex, Louis Vutton, etc, it's not about getting the fakes but the experience is fun, and haggling with a guy that wants $200 for a fake rolex that will sell it for $20 if you put him off enough. Its a cash only place.

This is a good basic tip article on the place.

http://www.allny.com/shopping-...-deals-new-york.html

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
As was already mentioned Juniors next to the Marriott Marquis in times square is good food, breakfast, lunch or dinner, cheese cake, cookies...

Patsys on 56th for Italian, where the rat pack dined!

Rays famous for a slice, Nathans for a dog.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Papaya King, try it out, they are all over the place.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Peter Luger's for steak.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Katz's deli is great, but don't lose your ticket.

Do you like shows? Day of show tickets (on Times Square) can be productive, but a little hit and miss.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a potato Knish from a street vendor with deli mustard and some salt and pepper. Yum!!

Visit Grand Central Station if you can, and walk around the main area as well as the some of the other areas. There is an intersection area of four different hallways, I can't remember exactly which one, but one person faces into one corner and another person faces into the opposite corner, which is maybe 25 or 30 feet away, and the acoustics will allow you to have a 'normal volume' conversation with each other!

ETA - I just looked it up. It's called 'The Whispering Arch' or 'Whispering Wall', etc. Just search the interwebs.

Consider a trip to the Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island?

Keep head on swivel, eyes scanning and wallet and purse secure.

Have fun!!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born in NYC and went to high school there. Bring your running shoes and WALK. Forget the bus, take a subway when you need to cover distance or a taxi. Walk from the Battery, Wall Street up to Columbus Square by Central Park. Stop by the local neighborhood restaurants to fuel up, forgo the tourist traps. WALK and see the sights and get a guidebook. And... wherever you go, keep your wits about you.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello

I am regularly visiting NYC for work. Our offices are in Times Square and have spent way too many nights in the "crossroads (or as I call it "armpit" of America".

Food

There is a John's Pizza on 44th towards 8th. Really good NYC pizza. The apps are also great. They only sell whole pies. The theater crowd heads there before hand, so I suggest 730pm or after.

Burgers - Skip Shake Shack. Head to 41th and 8th where Schippers - much better.

Shows
Over on 47th and Broadways is the TKTS They sell discounted theatre tickets.

Hop on and off

There are a couple different ones. These annoy me on the way from hotel to work. DO NOT take their first or second price, walk away and head to the next one. Prices change on the number of people and weather.

If you cannot get tickets to the Statue of Liberty, still head there and take the boat to the island, walk around. It also stops at Ellis Island. That is definitely worth the stop.

Another alternative is to do the circle line cruise around Manhattan.

Depending on timing a Yankees or Mets game is worth it.

Shoot me an email if you want to chat more and can give you touristy or non touristy things/places or eats.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Katz' Deli the last of the real NY Jewish delis
Keene's Steakhouse-the best in Manhattan. Period
In NY traffic signals are merely suggestions, be really careful crossing the street. Ask me how I know.

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
We just got back, my wife and I got at least on once a year for a conference I attend. So we are absolutely tourists but I have found some places I like and we avoid the tourist traps.

Try 2nd ave for a real kosher deli, it’s not too far from where you are staying.
http://www.2ndavedeli.com

Russ and daughters is a unique appetizer shop with a cool history.
https://www.russanddaughters.com

Pizza suprema is amazing for a quick slice of pizza.
http://nypizzasuprema.com/index.html

Also, walk and ride the subway, we took our 10 year old for her birthday and walked an average of 8 miles a day and she loved every minute. Good luck and have fun.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post