SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to NYC for 4 days, any advice?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to NYC for 4 days, any advice? Login/Join 
posted
I'll be meeting my wife in NYC later this month for 4 days, planning on staying in time square and doing a hop on hop bus tour for 2 or 3 of the days, there is one that includes admission to a lot of the touristy things we were looking at.

I was last there in 2004 and was wondering if there's anything we need to do or avoid?

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Don't wear a pocket clipped knife seems to be the most common warning these days. I mean, beside don't go. Big Grin

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I can carry on my work credentials I'm not checking a bag so no gun or knife for me, were planning on staying around time square this time

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Do the 9/11 memorial and museum.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
The hop on hop off water taxis....

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3475 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Great street food.
My favorite was always the Sabrett's hot dog cart; sporting an orange umbrella.
Order two with mustard and onions and a YooHoo; chocolate soda.
Trust me.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a boat tour? We really enjoyed this one:

https://www.circleline.com/cru.../best-of-nyc-cruise/

Spring for the Premier tickets. Much better experience.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
JOHN'S PIZZA BLEEKER ST!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
There used to be a lot of indian resteraunts on 6th street. Chinatown can be interesting, try Ten Ren tea.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
A few of my favorite places:

http://becco-nyc.com/

https://www.katzsdelicatessen.com/

https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

You can carry a fixed blade of less than four inches, no folders, but make sure you keep it concealed. When I'm in NYC I'll usually carry a neck-knife under my shirt. It's not much, but it's better than nothing at all.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said, don't clip your folder in your pocket. See the 9/11 museum and memorial.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Take a walk through a Central Park. Visit the Met museum. Empire State Bldg visit, Statue of Liberty. Visit the battery and walk up through Wall St. Stay below 96th St Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Take the Staten Island ferry. It’s free and will show you the best view of NYC, and the statue of liberty.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Do the 9/11 memorial and museum.

This. Take a ride up to the top of the tower as well. But if you can only do one, do the museum.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If staying in or around Times Square hit Juniors cheesecake!

NRA Life Member

Posts: 813 | Location: Tuscaloosa, AL | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Great street food.
My favorite was always the Sabrett's hot dog cart; sporting an orange umbrella.
Order two with mustard and onions and a YooHoo; chocolate soda.
Trust me.
You mean DWD's(dirty water dogs), Lived in NYC for over 30 years, saw a coffee/bagel cart vendor use water from a fountain, never bought cart food again, hmmm maybe roasted chestnuts when it's cold.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
No trip to NYC is complete for me until I go to the Dead Rabbit on Water Street. It's right down by the wharf and on the actual area where "Gangs of New York" took place. Call ahead and get a spot in the "parlor" upstairs.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Don't play 3-card monty or any of the other 'street games'.

Even if people seem to be winning crazy amounts of money... right in front of your eyes...

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If you are a comedy fan and aren’t sensitive I would suggest going to one of the comedy clubs. My choice would be the comedy cellar in the village. It wouldn’t be out of place to see big stars like Jerry Seinfeld or Chris Rock working out a set in the middle of a weekday night. Go check out the intrepid too. Not sure if the museum of television and radio is still open. Peter Lugers steak house mcsorleys pub if you want old New York flavor. I think Lincoln drank at mcsorleys.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Great breakfasts Rustic table

unique meal - Luksus

Drinks Please don't tell

Fine dining Per Se

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post