SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Watch Battery - Bad surprise, happy ending
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watch Battery - Bad surprise, happy ending Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
On Sunday afternoon I looked down at my trusty Luminox to check the time and saw that it was 11:46. Given the fact that I was starting to get the mid afternoon munchies, it wasn't dark, and the second hand wasn't moving, I reasoned that my watch had stopped. Drat.

Monday was a busy day so Tuesday I started looking for a watch shop and found one close that did replacements & repair on all dive watches. Nice little shop, awesome guy. Then came the surprise....

He called out from the back room and asked me how long the watch had been dead. I told him that as far as I knew, the time the face showed on Sunday morning. He brought the battery out and showed me that it was just starting to leak fluid. Had I waited any longer, even just a few days it might have ruined the watch. He thoroughly inspected and cleaned the internals, luckily no damage.

Once the battery was replaced and the watch pressure checked he brought it back out and we talked. He just had a client bring in a nice watch that had been dead a week. The battery had leaked and ruined the internals.

His advice: When a watch stops, especially one that is expensive or has sentimental value, get it in as quick as you can for inspection & battery replacement.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bit of thread drift but is it just me or has the quality of all batteries gone to shit over the last few years. It seems like I never used to have leakage and damage problems unless a battery was left in a device dead for a long time. Now it seems that I get leaking batteries on a monthly basis and have had some good equipment messed up. What gives? Cost cutting or some environmental regulation/changes in the batteries.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have one battery powered watch and I only use silver batteries in it.

All my others are autos now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I thought watch batteries were lithium...and generally solid and not prone to leaking?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This is just another reason why I will only own solar powered watches from now on. My current solar Seiko keeps perfect time and charges with any light source.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I know that Duracell alkaline batteries are complete pieces of shit nowadays. They sometimes leak even new in the package. I won’t buy any of their junk anymore.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I'm in the thick of it. My father's stainless steel quartz Omega has been locked in a box for 10 years. Local Omega won't touch it, too old they say.

It's as plain as you can possibly imagine. Not worth a full rehaul at Omega but also the oy I will ever own an Omega.

Just scared of hearing what another watch repair might diagnose if it take it there...

0-0

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I know that Duracell alkaline batteries are complete pieces of shit nowadays. They sometimes leak even new in the package. I won’t buy any of their junk anymore.

Even Eotech recommends the use of Energizers in their HWSs.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16318 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
The Luminox uses Swiss Rhonda quartz movements.
They're around $30 for a replacement if it was bad.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post