SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chuck Taylor of ASAA has passed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chuck Taylor of ASAA has passed Login/Join 
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted
I searched and did not see it mentioned here, but apparently he died 5 May.

I remember reading his articles in Soldier of Fortune way back. I am sad that I did not get to take a class with him. I tried to sign up for what would become one of his last classes, and it was full.

Oddly, I cannot find any sort of funeral arrangements, or even an obituary. Maybe that's the way he wanted it.

In any case, my condolences go out to his family and friends. We have lost another pioneer of modern weaponcraft.

RIP

http://chucktayloramericansmallarmsacademy.com/

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad. I was fortunate to take one of his classes. He was a good instructor and early icon.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
Sad. I was fortunate to take one of his classes. He was a good instructor and early icon.

Same.

The Founders of modern firearms craft are definitely entering their sunset years.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BILL JORDON
JEFF COOPER
ELMER KEITH
RAY CHAPMAN
SKEETER SKELTON
CHARLES ASKINS
REX APPLEGATE

RIP ALL!
I know I've missed some. these are off the top of my head.

Posts: 371 | Location: The once great state of California | Registered: November 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Argh - I’m sorry to hear this and thank you for posting this. He was a staple of my early “gun years” reading gun magazines, too.

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Mr. Taylor. I remember fondly reading his articles in various gun rags in the early 90’s. Part of my appreciation for the 1911 and BHP is due to his writings.

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I read a lot of his articles back in the day. He was a good one. RIP Chuck.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'll always remember his highly touted 175k+ round G17 articles.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I thought this was going to be about the Converse guy...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I read a lot of his articles and several of his books, then in 1996 my wife and I had the chance to attend a defensive pistol class with him in WA state.

Good guy!

R.I.P. Mr. Taylor, and thank you for your service.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I'll always remember his highly touted 175k+ round G17 articles.

I re-read one of these in the past few weeks (to see if it was a 2 or 3 pin variant...it was a 2 pin gun).

His Combat Handgunnery (4th Ed). book is also a good addition to your library.

His 'Combat Master' standards were also anything but a walk in the park, especially the 4 Weapon certificate. With CT having passed, it will be interesting to see if there will be any more 'Combat Masters' (I believe CT may have had to personally witness the 4 weapon master test? Another other previously certified Master has to witness the Handgun test?) There certainly weren't many. Front Sight and Force Options may still offer the 'Prep Courses' (guess time will tell).

There was this simple posting on his website...the rest seems to have been shut down:

http://www.chucktayloramerican...cademy.com/index.htm

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sad. I always liked reading his articles in the gun mags.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DEPUTYBILL:
BILL JORDON
JEFF COOPER
ELMER KEITH
RAY CHAPMAN
SKEETER SKELTON
CHARLES ASKINS
REX APPLEGATE

RIP ALL!
I know I've missed some. these are off the top of my head.

Go get a class from Clint Smith while you can. Although Clint has said he will probably still teach classes for a few weeks after he is dead.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Interview with Taylor from about a year and a half ago...that last ~5 minutes, with his observations of what's going in currently in society are enlightening.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...hgwFXrp0&app=desktop

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

posted Hide Post
I always though he was the real deal compared with many other writers. Seemed like he sort of disappeared a few years ago and I didn't see any more writings from him.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I attended Orange Gunsite 250 class taught by Jeff Cooper and and Chuck Taylor. Both were superb instructors and the training really stuck with me over the years(1982 class).Chuck spent much more time with us and really made sure that we got the basics before proceeding. I got a chance to talk to Chuck after classes and found him to be a very intellectual and thoughtful person. I was fortunate to have spent time gaining a valuable life skill along with the chance to interact with Chuck Taylor. I am sad to learn of his death.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I never met Mr. Taylor, as many here have, but his publications about firearms were very influential in my formative years of shooting.

Anything he wrote, was not drivel, but sound advice and very interesting.

I guess we people who respect firearms, will look back on his era as the golden age ,as Mr. Taylor, and his compadres during those years walked the walk.

Thank you Chuck.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kind of guy. I wish I could have met him and shoot the shit with him because him and I are deon the same page.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He did one of the original "torture tests" of pistol, using a Glock 17, which he bought new, when Glocks were new. Far from swirling it around in a bucket of sand or sticking it in the freezer, he shot it underwater, then left it there for six months. He travelled to alaska and shot in conditions that were freezing the camera, and traveled to Arizona and shot it, then left it buried in a stream bed. Two hundred fifty thousand rounds later, and several decades, he concluded it worked.

I recall one of his articles discussing shooting an intruder with a high power, in the dark, and the implications of preparedness.

Definitely a been there, done that kind of guy.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I thought this was going to be about the Converse guy...

You're a half century off for that obit. Eek

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post