SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AT&T robocall blocking service
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AT&T robocall blocking service Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“AT&T is rolling out a free robocall-blocking service to its mobile customers, becoming the first major wireless company to automatically block spam phone calls. But customers who want all the bells and whistles, including the ability to automatically send all robocalls directly to voicemail, will need to pay $4 a month.

The new service comes after a June ruling from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission permitted phone companies to offer robocall-blocking services on an "opt-out" basis. That allowed AT&T to roll out the service to all customers rather than requiring them to take the time to "opt in" to call blocking, the company said in a statement.

The free service automatically blocks suspected fraud calls, such as calls from fraudsters claiming they are from the IRS and demanding money. But robocalls, such as telemarketers calling to sell medical equipment, are flagged in the free version, and consumers then can manually block the caller or send the call to voicemail.

The service with the most protection, which automatically sends suspected robocalls to voicemail, will cost $4 a month, as noted by Ars Technica…”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...h-a-4-monthly-catch/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We recently switched from Verizon and noticed several calls coming through as ATT SPAM: etc on the phones, so they are telling us not to answer, then you just block the number.

Works for me!

What I'd like is for iFone to have the option to immediately reject an incoming call and/or block it without having to open up the recent calls. When you see a spam call, just click a button on the screen for hang up and block caller...

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I do like the change that puts Spam Risk or Telemarketer on the inbound calls.
With a few exceptions, I don't answer calls from numbers I don't know, so a small win to help weed them out.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15152 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“AT&T is rolling out a free robocall-blocking service to its mobile customers, becoming the first major wireless company to automatically block spam phone calls.

Firstly: Awfully nice of the thing that calls itself "AT&T" these days, being as they're one of the beasts responsible for enabling it in the first place.

Secondly: Their claiming a "first" is a flat-out lie. (Surprise!) T-Mobile has had automatic identification or blocking (your choice) of calls identified as telespam for at least a year. Maybe two.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
after paying to receive phone service from whatever provider you have

why should you have to pay ADDITIONAL to NOT get certain phone calls?

you're paying to get calls, and now paying to NOT get calls

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
after paying to receive phone service from whatever provider you have

why should you have to pay ADDITIONAL to NOT get certain phone calls?

you're paying to get calls, and now paying to NOT get calls

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just like the Mob. Create the problem and then sell you the solution. Big Pharma does the same. Market Oxycodone as non addictive and then sell Suboxone as the solution. Good business.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more nhtagmember! These MF's call me all day long. I have blocked almost all number combinations possible. It's the spoofed numbers that get through to me. I just don't believe that these phone companies don't have the ability to tell that these calls are originating in other countries, or that they are spoofed numbers. No way in hell I am paying them to block calls.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
You do realize that a lot of those calls actually come from subsidiaries or companies in which AT&T, Verizon, etc. have sold your number to right? Now they want you to pay for privacy? This is like the banking industry selling your financial data then making you pay to protect it against identity theft. No way will I ever pay for these services.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I'm paying for it and it works..

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently received a call showing as ATT Alert: Telemarketer. It wouldn’t show me the number without answering. I answered and it was not a telemarketer. It was an insurance company from a lady who rear ended my wife’s car. I had been waiting on that call. They can keep their screening crap and just show me the number. I can decide if I want to answer it on my own.

Posts: 102 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
What do they do with the automated calls from VA, physicians associated with universities, etc that rely on automated calls re scheduled appointments, and related notifications? Are these considered robocalls?

Please forgive the lack of knowledge, I use my phone 99% of the time as a, well, phone. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The fox has been in the hen house for a long time, as it is in many other industries, with the revolving door between uncle sam and the private sector, at all levels from local to national to international. I agree I dont want to pay campanies who value profits above integrity and serving their customers, particularly when they purposely contribute to the problem themselves. At my elevation it smells really bad stinky.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post