SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So What Is Up with HP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So What Is Up with HP Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
why would anyone feel the need to hide a keylogger in any piece of software if your intention was NOT to spy on people to begin with?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Huh.

Local loss of confidentiality. Check.

The human interface, everywhere. Yup sure is.

Was looking at HP laptops today at a local store.

Drew my attention to the Lenovo Yogas instead ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was a debug build that should have been a release build. Easy enough to do but a very bad thing to have happen. It seems like their driver OEMs should get a few more sets of eyes on their release builds. Is it malicious? Probably not but it could be.

Touchpad Driver Today

Audio Driver Discovered in May

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
When I was doing IT work for the local school system, and before I asserted control over ALL computer purchases, one of the grammar schools bought a half dozen HP units.

Bloatware out the wazoo. Funky drivers. Proprietary hardware. Didn't play well with non-HP printers.

After the first one, I just formatted them right out of the box and did a clean install of the Windows System du jour (95 at the time, IIRC) and built a driver disk from drivers downloaded from the 'net.

In short, a YUGE pain in the ass. Put me right off anything HP other than laser printers.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Wow, I would not just limit this to just HP units. This crossed my mind many years ago. If you wanted to spy or gain access to some very sensitive info a keylogger with a way to access it remotely or have it sent periodically. Now where do most of our computer, components and their drivers come from? Not the U.S.A. Can we trust Microsoft, sorry maybe going a bit tin hat on you all lol.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
HP once was the go-to name for printers everywhere I worked and in everyone's homes. I never owned one of their computers as I understood they were very proprietary in components selection.

I have an old HP laser printer that is no longer supported with new drivers - even though HP still sells the toner.

On Sunday one of our elderly members complained that her new wireless printer never seemed to work. I asked her if it was an HP. She asked "How did you know?"

I would stay away from HP computers and consumer printers like the plague.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using HP printers for decades with almost no problems. We had a bunch of IIPs that lasted longer than some employees and a IV that was still cranking when our specialized software lost compatibility.

My luck with combo fax-scan-print-coffee makers have been a bit less splendid but good enough.

I made the mistake of buying a Dell color laser which is exceeded in its uselessness only by its complexity.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
HP once was the go-to name for printers everywhere I worked and in everyone's homes.

Yeah, once upon a time. That has not been the case for better than fifteen years. Last HP printer I bought was eighteen years ago, and it wasn't a pimple on the backside of the 4MV it replaced.

quote:
I never owned one of their computers ...

Nor have I, after the first.

HP used to make great printers. The best. They used to make great calculators. The best. They also used to be a top name in test equipment. No more.

Now all they are is a second-rate computer and printer manufacturer. Oh, and some second-rate network gear.

quote:
I would stay away from HP computers and consumer printers like the plague.

+1

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
My question is; how do you know on any computer that you are not buying keyloggers or spyware straight out of the box? It's really scary thinking about it.

There are those like myself who do not known enough about computer programming to be able to tell and I guess that is what they count on. If you look at the installed programs, even if you suspect something you are scared to uninstall it since you don't really know what it is.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
My question is; how do you know on any computer that you are not buying keyloggers or spyware straight out of the box? It's really scary thinking about it.

There are those like myself who do not known enough about computer programming to be able to tell and I guess that is what they count on. If you look at the installed programs, even if you suspect something you are scared to uninstall it since you don't really know what it is.

There is A LOT of information on the internet that is easily understood by those of us who know little about computers beyond using them. Information about bloatware, processes, and unknown files.

Each time I get a new computer, phone, or tablet I go through each process, program, or app and search the internet for information about them.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:

Hate to burst your bubble. Look up "superfish" and Lenovo. All the big manufactures screw up with drivers and viruses/malware/problems. It happens more often as not from all of them at some point or another.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's hard to tell which products are actually designed and 'built' by a company versus products that are design and built by a third party with a big company brand slapped on it. I try very hard to avoid the latter.

The last time I purchased a notebook, I considered 3 that I believe to fall into the former camp: Apple, Microsoft Surface Pro, Lenovo Thinkpad T or X series (the old IBM pedigree).

Ended up with the Surface Pro and have been relatively satisfied so far.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:

Hate to burst your bubble. Look up "superfish" and Lenovo. All the big manufactures screw up with drivers and viruses/malware/problems. It happens more often as not from all of them at some point or another.

+1

... bubble burst ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think there is a difference between the arm whose roots are as local PC maker in PRC vs the arm whose roots are in IBM and was the PC design and engineering arm in Japan.

I avoid the former (Ideapad, Yogas, etc) and am okay with the latter (generally Thinkpad T/X series).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post