SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Advice On Getting Father'-in-Law Bronze Star Citations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice On Getting Father'-in-Law Bronze Star Citations Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted
My FIL passed away 10 years ago, and we have since discovered that he earned 5 Bronze Star Medals in Korea. As a medic, I cannot imagine that the Army would just lavish these medals on him without some significant justification. We have his DD214, which is why we know about the 5 medals. Anybody ever go through the process?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The easiest way would be to contact your local member of Congress and havm them do it. They should know the routine and be able to cut through the bureaucracy.

As a government employee it is harder to ignore a congressional request then a routine one.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might try contacting a DAV representitive in your area for guidance or the VA.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Have you tried this?

https://valor.militarytimes.com/search.php?medal=7

There is a Veterans Service office here in the county. Maybe there is one near you.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
The easiest way would be to contact your local member of Congress and havm them do it. They should know the routine and be able to cut through it....

This. Since you have the 214, it will be easy for their military liaison to get the medals. Heck, they might even arrange a small ceremony!

This is a win-win: Your family gets the medals, congressman gets a press release.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Did they do DA638 back in those days? Just curious because it seemed like OP was asking for the citations.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As a retiree, I can buy all the medals I want. What we really need are the citations, which will give a narrative for the circumstances of the awards.

We never knew he had 5 BSMs until after he passed. Like many of his generation, he kept his WWII and Korea war service to himself. We really missed an opportunity there. Frown

Thanks for all the advice.

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the subject line too fast and did not realize you were looking for citations, not medals. Those may be at NPRC St Louis if they weren't lost in the fire.

You can request his records (I'm on a smart phone and can't copy and paste the link), but I'm sure a congressperson would get them fsster.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:
Have you tried here ?

http://www.americanwarlibrary....personnel/bronze.htm

Looks like the EXACT thing I need. However, I could not get it to work on either of my computers.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
THIS is the only way:
https://www.archives.gov
since the paper record warehouse burned down in 1972 all pair records were destroyed.
They seek your help in reconstruction veteran records. I recovered all of my Dads, when his house was broken into and the kids that did it sole of his. It took about a year.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8351 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post