SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Painting my new shop - What equipment do I need?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting my new shop - What equipment do I need? Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
My new 20x26 wood working shop will soon be finished and I need to get some heavy stain on before the weather changes.

I've looked at HVLP systems, airless system and I'm currently looking a pressure pots. I need to cover rough sawn cedar boards plus the trim. I 'assume' that I will need primer followed by 1 or more coats of the final top coat. The house has something my contractor calls a paint stain. It appears that it is a heavier type product something close to paint consistency but not so heavy as to hide the grain of the wood.

This will be a long term investment, the house will need another coat in the next few years as well so no need to totally cheap out.

What say you?

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Rough sawn cedar? Am I crazy for recommending a pump up sprayer?

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Wood siding I assume. Furred out or applied directly against house wrap, foam board, Zip System, etc.?

If there's an air space behind your siding I'd be inclined to brush on two coats of a solid hide stain which can be applied direct to wood or over itself so no primer needed. While you're at it caulk well around every window, door, etc.

But if wood siding was applied directly against something I'd probably want a very breathable stain (semi-transparent or penetrating type, to permit moisture that absorbs into the wood siding to escape out.

BTW congratulations on your nice new shop! Post some pictures if you get a chance. I'm about to start one myself.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s the rough sawn? T-111 or actual boards?

Paint stain is probably just a solid color stain that looks like it’s been painted

What ever the first coat is, it will soak it in...stain, primer... whatever

What’s longevity of a product your looking for? What type of color?

I’d spray and back roll rough sawn anything

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Professional Airless stain in Five gallon pails, with someone back brushing beside you. Both on a man lift you move along. Did a 45 by 30 RV garage in a day. T-111 rough sawn cedar.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do this for a living. For what you are talking about (as I understand it) the economics are just roll it on. Spray and back roll is silly. Pick what you like (at the end of the day the stain paint thing really doesn't matter, I'd paint it).
the trim you will have to brush but ok.
there simply is no need to spray anything this size. The waste would be silly. But if you insist you want airless spray ok. The cost will never be recovered, but its fast.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post