SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Cavalier King Charles dog owners
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Cavalier King Charles dog owners Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
We are looking at acquiring a Cavalier King Charles puppy. We've been without dogs for some 10 years since our last Maltese had to be put down at 17 years old. Hurt us a lot, but we're over it now and we stay home much more now since we retired, so a loving dog will be a welcome addition. As I understand it the CKC Spaniel is about as loving as they come. Insite is welcome.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My cousins daughter raises them, she is around Denton. I don't know if she has any right now.

I'll have to shoot a message to her sister. Let me see what I can find out.

We lost our Papillon/King Charles dog 18 months ago. Smartest dog I ever saw.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
My aunt had one years ago. Great dog and very good natured.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I understand it the CKC Spaniel is about as loving as they come.
How is that different from any dog? I am not going to criticize your preferred breed, but "loving" applies to pretty much all of them. Dogs honor us so much, seems a shame to limit the possibilities, especially when there are so many out there. Find/adopt/"rescue" a dog that has few other options, it's the right thing to do.

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My friend's wife has two and despite the froofy look, they're great little dogs. I've been around these two for years, and have dog sat them.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have 2, a 13 year old Blenheim (rust over white)Male, and a tricolor(black, white and tan) 11 year old female. Got them as puppies, both Irish stock, after we lost our Giant Schnauzer.
These two are great companions, good watchdogs, hardy, and funny. They lost their hearing about 18 months ago. Otherwise, still easy to deal with.
If you are going to consider getting one, plan on 2, as they do better as a pair. Research the breeder and make sure you check with other owners of the pups, get a good vet.
There are good books out, Juliette Cunliffe’s “Cavalier King Charles Spaniel” published by The Kennel Club Books, is our go to for their care.
One of the posters made a good point about rescues and the same tips play for them. Love your dogs, whatever you decide, because they pay that love back ten times over.
Regards,
Blackhorse4

Posts: 87 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
My cousins daughter raises them, she is around Denton. I don't know if she has any right now.

I'll have to shoot a message to her sister. Let me see what I can find out.

We lost our Papillon/King Charles dog 18 months ago. Smartest dog I ever saw.

A referral would be great. Finding a respected breeder within driving distance has become quite the chore.

Architect, as to all dogs being loving... of course that's true. But this bread is especially so. Calm, very little barking, easy to train. They love to sit on your lap and they are small enough to do that, and yet with their spaniel background they will eagerly chase a stick 25 yards into the lake, and go into hunting mode if you walk them in the woods. No, they would not make a hunting dog, but the instincts are very noticeable.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Ben Williams and I work for the same company; he works because he has to, but the King Charles are their first love. Central AZ should be driving distance to TX

http://www.spoiledspaniels.com/

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best, best, best Dogs in the world.
So friendly. Mine loves everybody and everything.

Posts: 53 | Registered: October 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a King Charles Cavalier / Havanese mix dog that is now 14 years old. Extremely smart, very dedicated and loving. I would recommend either of the breeds for their great disposition and intelligence.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work with a woman who rescued a KCC that had a loser owner who put it's eye out. The dog is as sweet as honey and very friendly despite it's first horrible two years.

Anecdotal I know but I have never heard a bad word about the breed.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
We have two right now that are three years old. They are amazing cuddle dogs. We have never had them growl or be aggressive towards our seven year old. One always has to be touching you in some way or another when you sit or lay down. We got these two when the last one passed. She was 14 years old, deaf and blind. She finally passed of hear failure. Just watch out for eye issues since they bulge out some like a pug.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine's wife is on her second one. Seems like a nice enough little dog but it's entirely too "precious" (yeah, I know it's her) and I can see how she fell in that trap.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A pal of mine has one of those, very smart pup. He is single and average looking but that dog is a chick magnet. He gets dates with women that wouldn't even give him a passing glance in normal conditions. I guess I should get one, LOL!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
We found one. A male 10 weeks old. He wasn't eating at all when we brought him home... I guess being plucked from his litter mates put him off. After a day we got him to eat and now there's no stopping him. Sock to keep his beautiful ears from dragging in the food dish. He's a sweet heart that loves to run and play, but also loves to cuddle for hours on end. A joy.[IMG:left] [/IMG]

-D.H. Lawrence

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What a cutie....

Enjoy many years together.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
There might be a mean Cavalier somewhere in the world, but I've never seen one in any of my practices. Great, great family dogs. Congrats!!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Here is patiently for mommy to get his dinner ready. He's doubled his weight in two months, but is still pretty small. The vet guess 12-15 lbs. mature weight. 95% potty trained. When excited there is still a few accidents but he's on his way.

-D.H. Lawrence

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new pup

Looks well bred.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the tick situation is in your area, but the dog I referenced above "escaped" for 4 hours the other day. Low to the ground and long hair, after she was found they picked over 50 ticks off the little thing. Eek

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post