SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone received tickets for a car you no longer own?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone received tickets for a car you no longer own? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yeah I donated a beat down old wreck like 15 years ago. Those places that heavily advertise near end of the year. Then they resell them at auction. Well the tow truck that picked it up had all the paperwork in order and I sent my release of liability to the DMV that same day. They parked it somewhere and got a ticket. Took a few hours of my life to get it straitened out. Thankfully I saved all the paperwork.

Much more recently I traded a VW when I got my truck and a few weeks later got a ticket mailed to me because whoever the dealer resold car to ran the toll bridge and the camera caught him and sent me the ticket. Same deal. Hours of my life to fix it.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Yes, but at least it won’t be my tag and I have a copy of bill of sale. Wink

Did you read the thread?
Yes, it's not my tag and I have a copy of bill of sale... but I'm still out the time it takes to prove that I sold the car.

quote:
I traded a VW when I got my truck and a few weeks later got a ticket mailed to me because whoever the dealer resold car to ran the toll bridge and the camera caught him and sent me the ticket. Same deal. Hours of my life to fix it.

Exactly. Hours of my life to fix it.

... and hours of the prosecuting attorney's office to deal with me when they could be going after the guy who actually committed the offense.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I got a call one day from the Suffolk Co NY impoud yard about my blue Honda. As I never owned a Honda automobile I was a bit confused. After a brief discussion with the deputy it was determined that the Honda only had two wheels, and yes, it used to be mine. I had traded it in to the dealer I got it from, and the next buyer never registered it.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Yes I have had a similar issue. At the time I lived in Germany. Called back to USA 3 times dealing with it. I did not keep a bill of sale. The last time I talked to them I told them I was no longer living in USA and bot coming back for some time. That settled the matter. Everything went away. They tracked me with the VIN not license plates.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
Have sold some off road vehicles lately, and snowmobile trailer. I let the guy use the plate to sled trailer, to drive home and also DMV.

Told to either send me plate back via priority registered mail, or the paper proof that plate was cancelled and re registration. Never a issue.

I always made it clear if I didn't have there's terms met in 5 days, I'd report the plates stolen to police, and all the buyers info.

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Yes, but at least it won’t be my tag and I have a copy of bill of sale. Wink

Did you read the thread?
Yes, it's not my tag and I have a copy of bill of sale... but I'm still out the time it takes to prove that I sold the car.

quote:
I traded a VW when I got my truck and a few weeks later got a ticket mailed to me because whoever the dealer resold car to ran the toll bridge and the camera caught him and sent me the ticket. Same deal. Hours of my life to fix it.

Exactly. Hours of my life to fix it.

... and hours of the prosecuting attorney's office to deal with me when they could be going after the guy who actually committed the offense.

Well you do know an attorney right Big Grin

Sue the guy that didn't change the registration for your hourly rate times the amount of hours required to fix it...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Co worker, Sally bought a nice car at a police auction in L.A., got it for about half price. 3 weeks later it was towed from the mall where she worked, for being stolen and for out standing warrants. It had been used in a car jacking. I always wondered how that ever turned out. She paid $3,500.00 for it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Well you do know an attorney right Big Grin
Sue the guy that didn't change the registration for your hourly rate times the amount of hours required to fix it...

It wouldn't be worth suing him... he's a deadbeat. He's even had his phone disconnected. Probably judgment proof.
I wish I hadn't given him both keys. I'd go get the car...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post