SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Personal Record on Bench Press
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Personal Record on Bench Press Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I wear a 37" sleeve, and have since HS. I've always wondered why I can't press much, and a guy in the gym (who looked as if he'd know) told me it was my long arms. I've never done over 275, and that was pushing it. Legs? Pfft, crush it with them. Not so much on chest.

I'd love to break 300, much less your range. Well done.

Plenty of really tall guys with long arms have massive benches. Sometimes it's a matter of messing with your technique. Training supporting muscles more, altering grip width.

If you have long arms, I'm assuming you have long legs too.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good job.

My max was 400 clean no “lift shirt”. Offensive line training at the end of college. Never again. My shoulders and their “clicking”/pain will tell you all the flat benching did that.

Just be careful. Orthopedic surgeon told me the flat bench is the worst thing you could do for your shoulders. I tend to believe him.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Good job.

My max was 400 clean no “lift shirt”. Offensive line training at the end of college. Never again. My shoulders and their “clicking”/pain will tell you all the flat benching did that.

Just be careful. Orthopedic surgeon told me the flat bench is the worst thing you could do for your shoulders. I tend to believe him.

That's some solid weight. I've heard that excessively benching can be bad for the shoulders too over time, I started focusing much more on Dumbbell presses to allow the shoulder better freedom of movement.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the advise and I am totally down with it. I've been lifting for ~15 years now. I used to do mostly dumbbells but had a bad Pec tear that put me down for almost a year. I couldn't move the bar 3 months after. That's the main reason I've stuck with flat. I might try to ease back into them. Max I ever did was 125 lbs dumbbells but I used to rep 110 lbs 10+ a set. I have fairly long arms which really limits the amount you can do.

I apologize if the picture offends you but this is where I sit. I've tried to lean down but I don't have the time or energy.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Let's talk business.

How's your squat and deadlift?

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
That's great!

I maxed out at 325 when in college many years ago.

I lifted all thru high school and got up to 315 on the bench. I was 5'10" 195 pound offensive tackle. I got into ROTC when I went to college and started running and shedding the extra weight and got down to 173. I kept lifting and hit 325 on the bench. I haven't consistently lifted since then, when I have worked out it's been high rep low weight stuff. I really need to get back in the gym, it's just forcing myself to set aside the time to do it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
This is in jest Big Grin

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloLS5kTrV

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I wear a 37" sleeve, and have since HS. I've always wondered why I can't press much, and a guy in the gym (who looked as if he'd know) told me it was my long arms. I've never done over 275, and that was pushing it. Legs? Pfft, crush it with them. Not so much on chest.

I'd love to break 300, much less your range. Well done.

Plenty of really tall guys with long arms have massive benches. Sometimes it's a matter of messing with your technique. Training supporting muscles more, altering grip width.

If you have long arms, I'm assuming you have long legs too.

Yep, 36" inseam. Legs are no problemo. Chest and arms? Problemo.

OP, you're doing well, congrats on the milestone. Now take this 50 year old's advice, and don't slack off.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Let's talk business.

How's your squat and deadlift?

Rep 275 lbs on squat and 315 lbs on dead lift. I hate leg day.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post