SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Personal Record on Bench Press
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Personal Record on Bench Press Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
I'm not sure how many of you guys lift, but this was a big one for me. I started lifting weights my Sophomore year in college and weighed in at 160 lbs at 6'1".

Now, I am 34 with a kid and I can barely find time to work out. I only get to go 3-4 days a week on my lunch for 30-40 minutes.

In college, the best I could do was 315 lbs max bench at around 195 lbs lean and that was working out 4-5 days a week and 1-2 hours sessions.

Today, I did a clean 325 lbs. It feels awesome to be the strongest I've ever been at this age. I'm sitting at 6'1" and 208 lbs.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Remind me not to criticize the Panthers in your presence. Razz

Congrats!

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve never maxed out because it always seemed like a great way to cause an injury. Nowadays I just try to stay in shape and generally tend towards lighter weight/higher reps. If memory hasn’t failed me I think my best was about 285 for 6 reps at 5’11” and 190lbs.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right on! I like weights too. Last December I was working on my max deadlift and I did 275 3 reps with wraps, I was pretty happy so I know the feeling.

I stopped working on max though, I alternate 5x5 variations and endurance sets of 12-15-20 reps. I'm 54 now and I do more biking/hiking/jogging than weights.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thanks ya'll. Don't get me wrong, my typical bench set is 135 for 12, 185 for 10, 225 4 sets of 10, 135 burn out. I did 135 lbs 42 times on burn out after the max. Then I did incline Big Grin. I also like to do 10x10's. Usually, 195 lbs or so.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I always laughed when guys would spread their hands out to wear it was about a 4" lift.

I dunno, maybe that is "Legit" Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
About the only thing I could do with 325 pounds is snap a humerus or two and crush my chest.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great! I have tried to keep my strength up as I have aged (nearing 50)...

I use dumbbells almost exclusively now. I tore my right pectoral pretty severely barbell bench pressing awhile back so I am getting back into the swing of things. I have about 85% of my pre-injury strength.

I could previously do sets with 70lb dumbbells pretty easily now I am back up to 55lbs... I'm getting it back baby!

My all-time max in my 30s was 275 (I weigh ~160). When I can get back to sets with 70lb dumbbells I will be happy.

How's your squat? I set a goal a couple years ago I wanted to squat my bodyweight on the bar (160) for 10 reps. Can do that pretty easily now.

I also run a couple times per week to toss in some cardio.

ETA: I was watching the documentary the other night on Netflix regarding the Crossfit Games - The Worlds Fittest Man or whatever. Bonkers what they can do (although I scoff at the kipping pullups... Big Grin) The women are beasts too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmnZnHDt1KU

Best way to stay in shape is to not get out of shape! Big Grin

------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I think at my peak strength, I couldn't even hit 170. Big Grin

I believe that men peak in their early-mid 30's for physical conditioning. At least that was true for me. It wasn't as much of forcing things at that age. It's like at that age, you just know your body so much better and get so much more out of it than you did in your 20's.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yikes! Be careful. Today's bragging rights could easily turn into decades of pain and disability.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Way to go man. Congrats. The magic happens after 3 plates.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6966 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Congrats 4EVA, that's a great lift!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I stopped lifting seriously about 10 years ago. I got into running and cycling, so the extra upper body mass was a hindrance. One day in the gym I wanted to see if I could bench press 315 lbs. To my surprise, I repped it five times. Never tried lifting that much ever again.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Nice! Keep it there.

I try to keep maintain my one rep max around 315lbs at all times.

If I begin to have trouble with that weight, I know I'm slacking.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I never max out, as I just focus on warming up and going to failure every set. Currently at 3X flat @ 160, then 3X incline @ 135, then 3X decline @ 155. Then I’ll finish off with 3X fly’s @ 130. Failure each time anywhere from 9-12 reps. Decent for me as I’ve got 10 years on you and a torn muscle in my right arm. The injuries suck and the older I get the more I warm up, stretch, and focus on form.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Here's a bench press max chart that'll give you an idea what your max is without having to max out.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I use to lift a lot in my younger days...3 hours/day 4-5 days a week in HS and 2hrs/day 5 days a week in college. Most I ever did was around 325 lbs. I could walk in and do 250 for reps any time. That was 20-25 years ago...now if I lift weights, 135 lbs, my arms go numb for months at a time. Stick with lower weight and higher reps and be happy. It sucks when you get older.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That bench is awesome, but that heavy clean is what I’m jealous of. My max clean is 250. My goal is to get 3 blues one time in my life.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I wear a 37" sleeve, and have since HS. I've always wondered why I can't press much, and a guy in the gym (who looked as if he'd know) told me it was my long arms. I've never done over 275, and that was pushing it. Legs? Pfft, crush it with them. Not so much on chest.

I'd love to break 300, much less your range. Well done.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
315# in college but not since. And I didn't keep it for long, worked up to it, maxed it once, then got busy and stayed in the mid-200s for a long time.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post