SIGforum
International Space Station crew aborts launch in Soyuz MS-10 - Crew safe (1 US / 1 Russian)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8230091844

October 11, 2018, 08:51 AM
RHINOWSO
International Space Station crew aborts launch in Soyuz MS-10 - Crew safe (1 US / 1 Russian)
Rocket is about to stage and drop it's 4 external boosters, you can see the plume start to fish-tail and the crew getting tossed around before they abort with a flash, then Russians cut to animated video of how the launch should have gone.

The crew of 2 landed safely and walked away from the spacecraft.

Boeing and SpaceX need to get their crew vehicles ready so we don't depend on Russia / Soyuz rides to space!

October 11, 2018, 09:44 AM
festus haggen
Hope they were wearing industrial strength Depends.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.
October 11, 2018, 10:20 AM
Hound Dog
Soyuz (can describe the capsule AND/OR the launch vehicle) is a reliable workhorse, having been in service (with upgrades, of course) for over 50 years. They are bound to have their off days.

After all, the US Shuttle has killed more astronauts (14) than all other spacecraft combined. . .

I do agree, though, that we need to get our act together. Relying on Soviet spacecraft to access space is a national embarrassment.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher
October 11, 2018, 10:39 AM
RHINOWSO
Oh I agree - law of averages is bound to catch up to Soyuz - they have had an incredible launch record after some initial failures back in the 60s.

And I'm glad we shut the shuttle down and moved back toward launch systems which protect the crew throughout the process as opposed to the "good luck" approach of the Shuttle.

I just wish the Commercial Crew Program was already flying - unmanned test flight are supposed to start in Jan 19 with crewed test flights in the spring.
October 11, 2018, 11:58 AM
walker77
quote:
I do agree, though, that we need to get our act together. Relying on Soviet spacecraft to access space is a national embarrassment

There is a scheduled manned flight from the cape in April.
October 11, 2018, 01:13 PM
Krazeehorse
quote:
Originally posted by festus haggen:
Hope they were wearing industrial strength Depends.

Probably a cheap Russian copy.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.
October 11, 2018, 02:29 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
I do agree, though, that we need to get our act together. Relying on Soviet spacecraft to access space is a national embarrassment

There is a scheduled manned flight from the cape in April.
Yeah, but those are still just baby step test flights. Unmanned, then crewed test flights, followed by the first legit crewed transport missions in the summer (assuming all goes well with the CCP).

The abort appears to be automatic after the first stage began separation and the launch escape tower was jettisoned. Apparently an issue with the second stage.

Regardless as much as I'd prefer our people ride US rockets up and back, that was a pretty dynamic abort phase for the spacecraft / launcher and both crew members walked away from the anomaly.

Some more information and photos (too large to post) here Soyuz crew safe after emergency landing
October 11, 2018, 09:08 PM
RHINOWSO
View from Russian TV feed.

October 11, 2018, 10:57 PM
sigmonkey
"Ballistic mode decent" in Russian; "Мы падаем, как гребаная скала здесь!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
October 12, 2018, 05:00 AM
BansheeOne
If you're playing Kerbal Space Program, you probably know Scott Manley. Here's a bit of analysis.

October 12, 2018, 05:27 AM
XinTX
Crew I've talked to that have ridden in Soyuz say it's a rough ride on a good day. Can't imagine what this one was like.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul