SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Charges Implicate NYPD Brass in Gun Pipeline
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Charges Implicate NYPD Brass in Gun Pipeline Login/Join 
posted
http://www.courthousenews.com/...-brass-gun-pipeline/

MANHATTAN (CN) — Escalating a probe of the New York City Police Department, new criminal charges unveiled Tuesday accuse a former lieutenant, two former officers and an ex-Brooklyn prosecutor of feeding gun licenses to “cottage industry of parasitic profiteers.”

“When police officers violate their oath in this way, they not only betray the public they have sworn to protect, but their fellow officers who do their jobs the right way, remaining faithful to the duties they owe to the public and to each other,” Acting U.S. Attorney Joon Kim told reporters.

The Tuesday morning press conference marked Kim’s first since the firing of his predecessor, Preet Bharara, who opened the NYPD corruption case last year.

“We continue today what we started a year ago,” Kim said.

The original complaint had accused high-ranking officers including of providing “cops on call” to businessmen who bribed them with flying a private jet with a prostitute to Las Vegas for Super Bowl weekend.

Though prostitutes, luxury travel and entertainment still abound in the new charges, Tuesday’s filings link the NYPD’s Licensing Division to a business that boasted an ability to expedite gun permits.

Sgt. David Villanueva has pleaded guilty to corrupting the NYPD’s licensing division, the newly unsealed records show, joining his colleague Richard Ochetal, who announced his cooperation with the government last year.

“The information that they provided, along with the other evidence we’ve gathered, paint a devastating picture of pervasive corruption at the licensing division,” Kim said.

Prosecutors also nabbed a secret October plea from gun license broker Frank Soohoo. Court papers show the 55-year-old working with Villanueva, Ochetal, ex-Lt. Paul Dean and former officer Robert Espinel.

“Specifically, in 2015, Dean and Espinel, along with Villanueva and Ochetal, went to two parties at Soohoo’s store, at which Soohoo arranged, at Dean’s request, free food and alcohol, and for dancers and prostitutes to attend at Soohoo’s expense,” the 26-page complaint states.

Last year’s indictment charged businessman Alex “Shaya” Lichtenstein with plying Villanueva and other licensing department contacts with bribes to help arm a Hasidic neighborhood watch group known as the Shomrim.

Apparently envious of his subordinates in the department, Dean attempted to extort Lichtenstein to keep this “pipeline” flowing to him, prosecutors say.

“I’m done watching people make money off of my back,” Dean allegedly griped in a recorded conversation on Dec. 8, 2015. “I’m the one whose signing off on everything, I’m the one who’s taking care of everything. you’re making money you, and dozens of other people.”

Prosecutors say Villanueva and his wife even honeymooned in Hawaii on Soohoo’s dime in late 2015.

Soohoo also picked up the travel and lodging a year later for Villanueva and Ochetal in the Dominican Republic.

The complaint quotes Dean as bragging that Villanueva “should buy his wife a shovel, because they would make so much money that they would have to dig themselves out of it.”

In return, the officers stocked Soohoo with already-signed “pink slips” — a type of NYPD gun license — that the broker would sell to his clients, prosecutors say.

Soohoo also allegedly paid $2,000 for Villanueva to approve a carry license for his client, who had prior convictions for gang assault and rape.

Court papers do not identify the client who received the weapon, but NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill told reporters that the department flagged 440 of the licenses as “suspicious” and suspended about 100 to date in an ongoing review.

“We’ve replaced all the supervisors left, and we’ve increased the supervision,” O’Neill said.

Despite emphasizing the department’s transparency, O’Neill would not commit to a request by Courthouse News that the department release a report it has prepared on its internal investigation.

The former Brooklyn prosecutor newly implicated by the scandal is John Chambers, 62, who was in office between 1983 and 1985. The government says Chambers gave Villanueva tickets to Broadway shows, sporting events, an $8,000 watch, sports memorabilia and cash to grease his own license-expediting business, which operated at the website nygun.com.

“You know I have that 1500 in an envelope in my office for u — so you can pay off the credit card,” Chambers told Villanueva in a text message, according to the complaint.

U.S. Attorney Kim told reporters that the men sometimes also passed off bribes hidden in magazines.

Prosecutors say Gaetano “Guy” Valastro charged $1,250 for a training course and helped customers get their pink slips. The 58-year-old Queens man’s business was called Valastro Academy.

Dean, Espinal, Chambers and Valastro will face a federal magistrate this afternoon. The bribery and extortion charges against them carry maximum sentences ranging between 15 to 20 years

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been going on since the Sullivan Act was passed. It's an open secret, I believe the Knapp Commission investigated it as well. Nothing will change in NYPD as long as the grass eaters exist.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
This should become the Second Amendment Foundation's next lawsuit, one aimed at doing away with NYC's authority to regulate firearms.

The system was utterly corrupted, from the very top to the very bottom. That corruption is a civil rights violation as it denied law abiding citizens their individual right to KEEP and BEAR arms. It is no different from how the sheriff's office in Neshoba County, Mississippi conspired with others to not bring the murderers of Andrew Goodman, Michael "Mickey" Schwerner, and James Chaney to justice in 1964.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Not surprising.
I had forgotten about the Knapp Commission. That was the one that put the "Happy Hooker" in the news.
These big cities need to do this more often than every 40 years.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
So am I reading this right, to get a concealed carry permit in NYC, I had better be very well off to pay for this kind of upstream corruption?

This is why I am so thankful Texas has Preemption, which roughly means that the Cities cannot have laws or regulations that go against state law.

Glad to see ADA Kim picking up where the last guy left this.

Hopefully they find a link to Schumer in this too!

Perhaps this will allow the common citizen to be able to obtain a carry license.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
So am I reading this right, to get a concealed carry permit in NYC, I had better be very well off to pay for this kind of upstream corruption?

This is why I am so thankful Texas has Preemption, which roughly means that the Cities cannot have laws or regulations that go against state law.

Glad to see ADA Kim picking up where the last guy left this.

Hopefully they find a link to Schumer in this too!

Perhaps this will allow the common citizen to be able to obtain a carry license.

HK Ag

I was listening to an interview this morning where the guy said he had to pay $10,000 for the "right" lawyer to help him get one, and even then it was not a guarantee.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post