SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody looking into the 2020 Ford Explorer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody looking into the 2020 Ford Explorer? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I drove an ST version very briefly yesterday. I'm not typically an Explorer fan, but I was fairly impressed.

On the one hand, I have the "rectal glaucoma." That is, I can't see my @$$ paying $55k for a danged Explorer.
On the other hand, the sedan I've really been wanting (and equally can't see/afford) is roughly the same price.

I like an SUV. There's plenty of room for me and the dog, plus whatever gear is going wherever with us. Typically, it's relatively ready for crappy weather. Often the ride isn't as nice and the fuel mileage is not as good as a sedan.

Comparing the 2020 Explorer ST and the sedan I want, I get this:
400 horsepower? Check. (5500 RPM for the Ford, 6400 RPM for the sedan. Both are 3.0-liter V6 units, each twin-turbo.)
Nice interior, leather goods (a first for me), and good outward visibility? Check.
AWD / 4WD? Check.
Fuel economy? Similar between them... 20 for the Ford (18/24), 22 for the sedan (19/26). Downgrade to the 300HP XLT, and the Ford gets 22.
Fuel? The sedan requires premium, I don't know for sure about the Ford.
Towing? The Ford says, "Can do!" The sedan says "Ehh, maybe... just a little."
Warranty? Ford: 3/36 basic, 5/60 powertrain. The sedan: 4/60 basic, 6/72 powertrain.
Corrosion warranty? Ford offers 5 years, the sedan offers 7.
Seating: Ford 6, maybe 7. The sedan, 5 max.
Weight: The Ford is chunky, at 4700 lb, roughly 700 more than the sedan.

Expected longevity is important -- I'm one who keeps a vehicle a long time.

By now you're asking, "okay, vthoky, what's the sedan?" It's the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport... I've been drooling over this one for three model years now.

Having taken the three-mile Ford test drive yesterday, I almost had myself convinced that the Ford was as good/quick/comfy/slick as the Q, with a much larger cargo area.

I realize this Explorer is "all-new" and many will say "don't dare buy one first-year." Don't worry: I've got a while to wait still before I can buy a new vehicle, if I decide to even buy new at all. But that doesn't stop me from studying, comparing, and dreaming a little.

I know what I think of the Q. I'm curious what you guys and gals think of the 2020 Explorer.

God bless America.

Posts: 13426 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had heard there were problems with the Infiniti 3.0 motors. Google it and you will see them to make an educated decision for yourself.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few points about driving an SUV over a car. Visibility. I love being able to see over the cars in front of me on the highway, same with parking lots and being able to see the next row over. Flexibility, I like being able to go buy bulky stuff at Costco, HD, Lowe's etc. and simply throwing it in the back, especially with the fold flat seating. My eco boost is rated for regular unleaded.

I ordered a 2018 Ford Expedition Limited and took delivery June 1st,2018 (2018 model) and one of the earlier ones delivered. So far I haven't had any issues with it and have about 10k miles on it. I'm very happy with it. It replaced a 2008 E.B. Expedition I had since new that was very very good to me......Paid $36k for it, TRADED it into the dealer and they gave me $8500 trade in and was almost 11 years old and 100k miles. I get Plan D, so that was the actual trade in price. The Expeditions are good driving cars. Sticker was $39k on the 2008, and a similarly equipped 2018 was $66k. You just have to get used to the sticker shock. The explorer is nice to drive and a bit more nimble than the Expedition.

You didn't give a time line...….aside from mentioning not in a rush......but the new model will stay more current much longer.....or by the time you buy the infiniti might have changed models.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm curious what you guys and gals think of the 2020 Explorer.

the changes I prefer in ANY pick-up/SUV from a mere mortal 'sedan anything' are marked by my life style & string of useful adjuncts to 'just driving';

I need to be able to haul stuff, tow stuff, go off the mall parking lot, head down that gravel road, etc. Sedans don't respond well to the demands of utilitarian driving near the Oregon Outback, with logging roads, firewood, fishing expeditions, kite flying, camper hauling, dump runs, compost hauling, and a raft of other things important to what I do in my normal days.

Plus I like to hop in a rig & drive to Montana now & then regardless of the weather blowing through. I like to take stuff that keeps me comfortable on such journeys, and maybe haul stuff back I come across. Maybe lay down & take a little stretch out nap in back, eh?

Sedans are just too limited, regardless of their various advantages. Any decent SUV has better seating position & better road view; they ride just as well if not better, and have more than ample amenities to keep me warm, cool, soothed, or lumbar supported as needed.

The Explorer will do all those things, the sedan will do almost none of what ~I~ want.

Good luck on finding your motoring desires.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I know a few people that have an Explorer and they like it a lot. I would go with that, especially over an Infinity.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I have the 2015 variety and I wouldn't buy another if I stole the money. A constant stream of repairs from sun roof to the glove box that falls open. The not so trivial engine work that has got to be a burden. This isn't my first ford, two explorers, a Bronco a long time ago and a 2002 King Ranch that is still my daily driver {spouse drives the Explorer} and this one has broken my Ford habit.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 55k I'd buy a Toyota 4 runner or Highlander over the Explorer. I've owned several Toyota cars and trucks and have had great success with them. I don't know anything about the Infinity so can't comment other than to say they are great looking cars.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
At that price. Get a Toyota Highlander instead..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2015 Explorer and we are very happy with it thus far (just cracked 50K miles).

I like the looks of the 2020 and the fact that it's RWD. We will probably give them a good look in a year or two. Until then I'll be watching from the sidelines.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I bought a Honda Passport earlier this year over the Ford. The Ford was much more expensive and as a result has a much steeper depreciation curve. I see used 2019 Explorer Limited with under 15,000 miles for $34,000.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
For that price I’d also consider the Acura MDX. Much nicer, higher quality, and reliable than the Ford. Resale will probably be better too since Ford dilutes their retail sales with mass fleet and rental company sales. I’d prefer the 4Runner over both but I understand not everybody likes the old school truck feel of the 4Runner. The MDX will drive much more like a sedan.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine just bought one, but it isthe 4cyl model. He doesn't like the auto shut off feature.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
A friend of mine just bought one, but it isthe 4cyl model. He doesn't like the auto shut off feature.

There's a button to depress on the dash board that turns the auto shut off feature off.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I had heard there were problems with the Infiniti 3.0 motors. Google it and you will see them to make an educated decision for yourself.

I had not heard of that… I’ll look into it. I do know that the VQ and VR series engines were listed in Ward’s top ten for years on end. The VQ in my current SUV has over 300k miles on….

quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
logging roads, firewood, fishing expeditions, kite flying, camper hauling, dump runs, compost hauling, and a raft of other things important to what I do in my normal days.

I understand. I’m an SUV driver now, and the utility of it is evident most days… like this morning, when I was picking up 8’ material for work and put it inside the vehicle.

quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
A friend of mine just bought one, but it is the 4cyl model. He doesn't like the auto shut off feature.

I’m not a fan of that either. I know why it’s there, and I know it can be defeated. It would be defeated if I bought the Ford, that’s for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by several:
also consider …

I could easily go to a 4Runner, for the durability and long-term reliability. I could consider Highlander. MDX and Passport are good looking; I haven’t driven either.
That said: I do certainly appreciate the suggestions for alternates, though at the moment I’m more specifically interested in opinions on this new Ford.

God bless America.

Posts: 13426 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post