SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some Times the Rabbits Just Gotta Go
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Times the Rabbits Just Gotta Go Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Hasenpfeffer.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I'm using Aguila super Colibri .22LR on the rats in the chicken houses.

Pellet guns make more noise.

You MUST use a bolt gun.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
If your neighborhood is overrun with rabbits and you start shooting them, where you gonna hide the bodies?

I just toss them towards the wash, and they're gone by the next day (coyotes or vultures). We have the same problem. As has been stated a couple of times, a spring piston air rifle is effective, but loud. I now use a 10/22 with regular Federal ammo (1200fps). We have a lot of separation from neighbors, and it makes about the same amount of noise. I am just careful about my sightline and what is beyond the rabbit. It is illegal in AZ to take game with a firearm within 1/4 mile of a residence, (and that includes using an air rifle), so technically I am illegal. But there is no end to the bunny population, it seems. The cottontails can go right through a chain link fence. Not under it, but through one of the diamond shaped holes. That's how they evade the dogs. We've only had one caught by one of our sighthounds (who are bred to chase game and run it down) in the 15 years we have lived here. We have a goodly number of black-tailed jackrabbits, too, but they don't get inside the fencing.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have a 22 cal pellet gun with scope that will shave a hair off a gnat’s ass. So it would work well in shooting a gnat off a hare’s ass.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Check the law before discharging firearms near homes.

That aside, a suppressed air rifle may be a good way to go.

This, a strong (spring loaded or pump) .22 air rifle would be my choice and aren't that expensive. Pellets are very cheap. A lot of cities allow the discharge of air rifles in the city but not .22 LR. You have to check your local laws......Heck, you can get air rifles that will shoot .50 cal at 900 FPS.

I just bought a Crossman 1200 FPS phantom hunter rifle and it came with a scope for less than $60, but it's .177 and that won't be enough for rabbits (humanely anyways IMO). It's pretty damn quiet for a spring loaded air rifle....but they do make pump air rifles in .22 that are pretty quiet

If you're dead set on .22LR the Colibri ammo or CCI cb shorts, or Remington CB caps.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd go .22 air rifle and avoid the hassles of a "Firearm". Plus, you can buy or make a suppressor for it since it isn't a firearm.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

You MUST use a bolt gun.

Yup, a 77/22. The MK III was a tad loud.

Picked up some CCI Quiets in Yuma to test. A couple hours before tonight's full moon and they are already out (three in the back)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
If the dogs can't keep them at bay, I doubt you could with a rifle.

-

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Yeah, I'd go .22 air rifle and avoid the hassles of a "Firearm". Plus, you can buy or make a suppressor for it since it isn't a firearm.

I'd be careful with that... It may not be a firearm, but building a suppressor for it may still be very much a felony. I certainly wouldn't want to have to explain the difference between the cans for my firearms, and the non suppressor device that looks an awful lot like a can, sans paperwork and tax stamp.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

I'd be careful with that... It may not be a firearm, but building a suppressor for it may still be very much a felony. I certainly wouldn't want to have to explain the difference between the cans for my firearms, and the non suppressor device that looks an awful lot like a can, sans paperwork and tax stamp.

It is a "firearm" in AZ when used for the purpose of taking game. This according to the local AZ G&F guy. That's why I went to a 10/22 instead.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I've hired an assassin to kill a raccoon that keeps eating my kitteh's food every night.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just notify your local Chinese restaurant that your neighborhood was tons of wild rabbits all over the place......the rabbits will be gone in a weeks time guaranteed and the chicken chow mein will taste a little likeeeeee rabbit!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Just notify your local Chinese restaurant that your neighborhood was tons of wild rabbits all over the place......the rabbits will be gone in a weeks time guaranteed and the chicken chow mein will taste a little likeeeeee rabbit!

I'll probably just gut em, skin em, bone em out, and boil em up for the dogs.

Neighbors are rather fed up with em too.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post