SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some Times the Rabbits Just Gotta Go
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Times the Rabbits Just Gotta Go Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
So here's the deal; the neighborhood is overrun with rabbits. So bad in fact most lawns here do not need mowing and there are pellets EVERYWHERE.

It is not unusual to see three to five of them in a yard and anytime of the day. And if there's five in the neighbor's yard, there'll be one or two in mine. All times of the day/night.

My backyard is a layer or two thick with pellets and the damn things (rabbits) just cross under the fence when the dogs realize they're out there. Oh and the bulbs which were planted about 10 years ago and flower twice a year - gone.

It's war.

So now here's the question - what is the quietest .22lr round available (used in a 77/22)?

Short of waiting for the coyotes to move in for the easy meal(s), are there other options?

TIA

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I like the Gemtec 22lr subs. I had a situation with a squirrel squatting in my garage attic. He liked to hide acorns under my Corvette’s car cover, so he had to go.

For extra stealth, go start your lawnmower and leave it running while you take the little bastards out.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Check the law before discharging firearms near homes.

That aside, a suppressed air rifle may be a good way to go.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
CB caps. CCI CB Shorts seem pretty quiet in a 19" barrel, too.

This may be one of those cases where you lower your exposure with a good .22 air rifle, though.

May I also suggest a bit of chicken wire along the bottom of the fence just to give the dogs a fighting chance?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
The quietest 22 round I've ever heard (non-silenced) is the Aguila .22 Colibrí.

My Sheridan pellet gun is louder.
(I'm not a lawyer, don't get busted, YMMV, yada, yada, yada)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try a good BB / Pellet Gun!

You can get a good Beeman or Benjamin for under $200 and get the job done.

https://www.airgundepot.com/sm...ting-air-rifles.html

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8337 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Contact your local falconer (no joke).

Their birds will make short work of this, and there will be no waste.
Even if they just trap them and store the meat for their hawks.

We had a situation like that in this area. Fox moved in like nobody’s business, the fox population in the area ended up with mange, etc from the subsequent population explosion.

Damn bunnies were everywhere for a while. I’ll never forget seeing a mama fox floating about 5 bunny bodies in the channel we were taking our small craft through- teaching her kits to swim across the channel. It was surreal, seeing those floating carcasses and all the little kits peeking out from the shoreline while mama looked on..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5309 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Gemtechs here, with a suppressor. Now that's fun right there, I don't care who you are.

They work great for deer too. One to the forehead...problem solved.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just regular .22 standard velocity or Target
Short's work just fine, I use them in either a Winchester 1890 pump or a Winchester 74 auto, both chambered for the short cartridge for our little garden raiders.
They're quieter than the neighbors 177 air rifle and do a better job

More & more SIG's and a bunch of Smith & Wesson revolvers

Posts: 654 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: April 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Cb quiets out of a 522 is pretty quiet. Mostly action is all you here

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I 2nd the Colibri .22lr, just the primer is loaded , no louder than my .22 pellet rifle. Use it in my 6 inch 617 with a grip laser.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Wally world has some decent looking air rifles for decent prices. Both 17 and 20 cal.

I tried CB shot, other "short" rounds in my 22. Not accurate, at all.

I checked with my nephew who works at CCI factory that produces 22 ammo. He said that unless the rifle is chambered specifically for those "short" rounds they would not be accurate enough. Something about the space between the slug and where it engages the rifling. Slug already started wobbling.

Figure there must be something to it as my pump action 22 will hold 1/4 inch groups at 40 yards with no problem. Shooting those "shorts" I have seen groups as large as 4 inches.

In short, good/decent air rifle, which will also not cause problems with firearms in residential areas.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Can you send them here? I like rabbit...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12769 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
The quietest 22 round I've ever heard (non-silenced) is the Aguila .22 Colibrí.

My Sheridan pellet gun is louder.
(I'm not a lawyer, don't get busted, YMMV, yada, yada, yada)

For use in a rifle you want "SUPER COLIBRI". The regular Colibri can stick in the barrel of a rifle.

Posts: 26896 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
It might make sense for you to get a small game permit in case someone complains. Be careful.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
If your neighborhood is overrun with rabbits and you start shooting them, where you gonna hide the bodies?

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
If the dogs can't keep them at bay, I doubt you could with a rifle.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I thought this was going to be about somebody getting pregnant.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I'd want to regularly eat rabbit that has been munching on all the chemicals that get sprayed on most suburban lawns,

Might be ok to feed the dogs.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
If your neighborhood is overrun with rabbits and you start shooting them, where you gonna hide the bodies?

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post