SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car guys... let's talk Infiniti and Lexus for a moment, please.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car guys... let's talk Infiniti and Lexus for a moment, please. Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to throw a wrench into your deliberations. However, a good friend just got a Genesis and he can't stop talking about how great it is.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I don't mean to throw a wrench into your deliberations. However, a good friend just got a Genesis and he can't stop talking about how great it is.

Good point. The Genesis/G80 was in consideration for me when I Was shopping as well. Even with the V6, it's a very comfortable & capable car on the road.
I drove an Ultimate, so it was pretty loaded, but was still pretty reasonably priced as compared to new MSRP.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Sorry, I vote Acura.

Bob

Not sure I'd take a TLX, have read lots of complaints with the ZF9 in the V6 models.
With the 4cyl, the DCT is a lot better, but with a good bit less power.

ILX, would be a non-starter for me, really old platform & underpowered.

RLX does nothing for me, not particularly attractive & the Sport Hybrid had its issues as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Lexus all the way, but I would check out a few larger models as well. The IS series is tiny, especially in all wheel drive. The drivetrain for the front wheels impedes legroom for the front seat occupants, IIRC the passenger really gets boned.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Adding a note: I just learned that the 18" wheel/tire package gets me different sizes front and rear. That pretty well eliminates the "regular" rotation pattern. Heck, they're probably directional, too, meaning that [side-to-side] rotation involves removal from the wheels. Eek.

One of the guys I used to work with ditched his BMW 5 series and went to the Lexus model one grade up from the IS (GS?) as he was tired of the cost of tires based upon the different sizes for front and back. His new Lexus rode better, was quiter, was AWD and was just an all around superior car. It might not have been as fast but we don’t live in Germany so Autobahn speeds aren’t really an issue. At my same office, two of the guys had G35x G35Sx and my neighbor had a a G37x. They all, eventually, sold their cars and bought Audis. If performance is an issue, I’d look at the Audi over the Infinity G series. Having ridden the Infinity G series and Audi A4/A6s, I’d say the Audi takes the Infinity for performance and IIRC, has the same size tires too. I also have a friend that works for the local Mercedes dealer. I like Mercedes but I thin a Lexus beats them for quality. I’d get the next Lexus size up from the IS (GS), get AWD and not worry about a new car for the next 200-300k miles.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going through a difficult time. My wife is car-shopping. This happens every 4-5 years and it is nerve racking! She had a Lexus 300 some years back and loved it but now "cannot stand" the Lexus front end. Others, she can't stand the tail lights, claiming they sit too far out from the fenders. The sun visors have to be telescoping. Those little panels that slide out don't make the cut. The navigation display must be in the dash, not sitting up above it. Above all....must run on regular fuel. She's Dutch. If I say something good about one she likes, I'm being helpful. If I point out a possible shortfall, she may have overlooked, I'm being "negative". Sure hope she finds one soon Frown

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m not a Japanese car guy, but my sister and BIL are, so I’ve got to drive both an Infiniti and Lexus. I was able to drive their Infiniti sport sedan (don’t recall the model number) over 500 miles. I was a great car, as was the Maxima my BIL had. All that to say, while the styling of both cars is similar, I like the looks of the Q50 better and since you’ve had good luck with Nissan...

Posts: 13259 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The q50 is largely considered a tired design with tech that is long in the tooth. It doesn’t make the top ten in most reviews for sport sedans

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was evaluating the very same automobiles for purchase a few yeaRs ago. Then I looked at and evaluated a Genesis. Bought the Genesis. Saved a lot of money too. Same or better quality without the throw away dollars wasted on a name brand. Best car I ever owned.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have zero experience in new Lexus, but we owned a SC 430, and have driven a couple of IS 250. I never found that the actual daily driving performance was as good as the image and advertising.

It's kind of odd to say it, but to me, a Lexus test drives better than it daily drives. In daily use, it felt to me like a gussied up Toyota. Not a bad thing, from a comfort, quiet and reliability standpoint, but about as exciting on a daily basis as a glass of milk.

Cars with "personality" are always more fun than those that are too neutral. Lexus' version of perfection just doesn't fit my preferences.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Who styled the front ends of the latest Lexus (and Toyota) cars and SUVs? The Predator? Roll Eyes

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who styled the front ends of the latest Lexus

Since so many women from Windermere drive them, around here we call that look the "bitch pinch."

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
We traded my wifes BMW750L for a Lexus 460L.

Zero regrets, by far the Lexus is the best ride.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by np149:
While we were talking, he mentioned he had a like new 2014 lease turn in with 4100 miles on it (it was 2016). I took it for a test ride and knew it was good for me. The comfort of the drivers side was leaps and bounds better than what I had left behind.

[snip]

Not flashy at all. [snip] it doesn’t attract attention the way something more blingy would.

Thank you for the great review, np149!
I’m with you on the not-too-flashy thing… I’m not into bling.

quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
If the IS is a little snug then maybe look at the GS.

I had a bad experience with Infiniti. Granted this was a 2005 G35 and things have changed.

Thank you for the GS suggestion. I think as the progression goes, it’s IS, then ES, then GS. The GS I looked at briefly was $15K more than the IS. Ouch. Then again, I’m not opposed to the L-Certified plan.

I fully understand your frustration with the 2005 – I’ve driven a couple from that vintage as well, and there certainly has been a big improvement since then.

quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
I vote Infiniti because the VQ engine is bullet proof. I have 320,000 miles on my Maxima.

I’m with you! 284K on my Pathfinder with the VQ.

quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
"I now know what the IS stands for," he commented. "Incredibly Small!"

Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5, maxwayne and maxdog:
Genesis

I’m no fan of Hyundai, despite their YUGE advances in quality over the years. To be fair: the Genesis is quite a nice vehicle. The G37/Q50 was their target during development.

quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
he was tired of the cost of tires based upon the different sizes for front and back.

I talked to the Mr Sales Guy again today, asking about the 17” wheel and tire setup. The 17s get the same size all around, but… “most every IS coming through the port has already got the 18” upgrade.” Yee-ouch. I did surf Tire Rack for a few minutes today and found that replacement tires are not as horribly expensive as I had expected. I’m still no fan of the remove-to-rotate plan; that’s going to add maintenance cost.

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
to me, a Lexus test drives better than it daily drives. In daily use, it felt to me like a gussied up Toyota. Not a bad thing, from a comfort, quiet and reliability standpoint, but about as exciting on a daily basis as a glass of milk.

Cars with "personality" are always more fun than those that are too neutral. Lexus' version of perfection just doesn't fit my preferences.

I appreciate your comparison on test/daily drives, Artie. Thank you. And you’re right: the definitions of perfection are slightly different at Infiniti and Lexus. The Infiniti does have a bit more personality about it, while the Lexus is boringly reliable. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Who styled the front ends of the latest Lexus (and Toyota) cars and SUVs? The Predator?

Trivia time! Toyota was started in the 1930s as a division of Toyoda Automatic Loom Works, and the new “spindle” grill is a tribute to Sakichi Toyoda.

I think it’s not so bad on the IS, but cleaning the ES grille is gonna be an all-day job! Eek

quote:
Originally posted by Arties:
“bitch pinch”

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I've owned several Lexus: RX, IS, GS and the wife currently leases a Q that I drive more than she does. The Infiniti is a glorified Nissan. The Lexus does not feel like a Toyota, it's a Lexus. For me the choice would be the IS without hesitation. Honestly, and I never thought I'd say this, in car navigation is garbage compared to Waze right on your phone. All my cars have Navi, I use Waze exclusively so that's a non-issue if you ask me.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
in car navigation is garbage compared to Waze right on your phone. All my cars have Navi, I use Waze exclusively so that's a non-issue if you ask me.

I'm beginning to like Waze. I wish Garmin would integrate it into a portable GPS -- I look like a tremendous geek with a GPS in the windshield and my phone running Waze down below it. Heck, add a laptop in the passenger seat and I could have almost as many gadgets as a police cruiser! Razz

- - -

I just learned that the IS that I drove last weekend has been sold already. I almost want to say, "Whew! That takes the pressure off." Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Not at all familiar with Infinity, but multiple Lexus owner over the years (GX, RX), and Lexus was unrivaled for reliability and customer support, including my several BMWs and current Audi. "Drivers" cars they are not, but unequaled IMO for comfort and trouble-free ownership.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I've been driving toyota and lexus for a while. Have an es300 w/ 275,000 miles and RX300 with 175,000 and a Tacoma with 110,000.

Visited a parts factory for Toyota/lexus parts and the QA/QC is amazing. After seeing the factory I understand why the engines last so long.

Also have an infiniti but don't like it quite as much. I little clunkier and more plastic.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Is the IS300 you looked at the 4-cylinder turbo or the V6 engine? If 4-cylinder that is part of the reason for the lower cost compared with the Q50. I don't really like the drone of a 4-cylinder, and I don't care about the small MPG difference, so I would pay a bit more for the V6 engine.

The VQ is a great engine and the Q50 will probably have a sportier feel to it overall. I have owned several good Nissans in the past but the Lexus will likely have the Infiniti beat for long term reliability.

My 2003 IS300 just crossed 185k miles without needing a single repair. It's had oil changes, timing belt, brakes, tires, etc, but never needed a repair. I've never replaced a ball joint, strut, or even an exhaust gasket, all those parts are still original and going strong. Being RWD it's bad in the snow so the car is not perfect but it has been very good. The bulletproof 2JZ inline-6 will probably run forever while the rest of the car eventually deteriorates around it.

I have been planning to replace it with a newer CPO IS350 AWD when the time comes. However I would encourage you to look at the new Acura TLX as well. It may be a good middle ground between the Q50 and the IS300. It felt very high quality, a bit more sporty than the new IS350 but still very comfortable with all of the different dynamic driving modes. I test drove a V6 AWD model a couple months back and was extremely impressed. From a long time Toyota fan I wasn't expecting to like it nearly as much as I did. I would say that Acura is certainly leading Lexus in technology integration and updates, Toyota always seems a bit slower to adapt. The TLX has a more conservative look than the current Lexus design theme as well. New car shopping is the fun part, spend a little time to check out the TLX before you commit. You may be pleasantly surprised like I was.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Is the IS300 you looked at the 4-cylinder turbo or the V6 engine? If 4-cylinder that is part of the reason for the lower cost compared with the Q50. I don't really like the drone of a 4-cylinder, and I don't care about the small MPG difference, so I would pay a bit more for the V6 engine.

That's a good point, Brett. The IS300 has the 4-cylinder turbo, and yes, a closer comparison would be the 2-liter Q50 -- the 3-liter does cost more. I've compared those two, and for the 1-2mpg difference, I'd grab the 3-liter every time.

quote:
The VQ is a great engine and the Q50 will probably have a sportier feel to it overall.

I can't argue that at all.

quote:
New car shopping is the fun part, spend a little time to check out the TLX before you commit. You may be pleasantly surprised like I was.

The shopping can be fun, for sure. I hadn't really considered Acura (not a fan of the local dealer). However, after being dead-set on Q50 and suddenly taking a liking to the IS300, I guess I should be even a bit more open-minded and have a look at Acura too.

God bless America.