SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car guys... let's talk Infiniti and Lexus for a moment, please.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car guys... let's talk Infiniti and Lexus for a moment, please. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good evening, SF. I've gone from a state of "I know exactly what I want" to "maybe I need to look a little more."

Preface: I'm not quite ready to buy a new car yet, but I'm all the time looking. I've got a "yuge" Nissan loyalty, with nearly a half-million miles on three Nissans so far. I love the VQ-series V6. I'l quickly admit that if my current SUV fails beyond repair, I'll likely switch to 4Runner. (Nissan killed the Xterra, and IMO it straight-up "Mommy-wagoned" the Pathfinder with the 2013 model.]

For several years now I've been staring at (drooling over) the Infiniti G35/G37/G50 sedans. I've driven several Q50 sedans, and the Sport version gets my goat every time -- the seat is just SO comfortable to me, and the car drives and handles SO much better than anything else I'm familiar with. It's decided: I'm getting a Q50. I want the S version, in Graphite Shadow, with the dark interior. My package and option list is made, my mind is made up, that's that. Done. (I'd even be tempted to pick up a Q50 Sport hybrid -- it's just SO darned quick! (Yes, the Red Sport 400 is on my wish list, but way too expensive.)

So. Last weekend, after spending a little time with an RX350 I ended up at the neighborhood Lexus store. I walked up to an IS300, and Mr Sales Guy was right there, ready to answer all my questions. The last time I drove an IS was back in about 2005, when they were equipped with the inline 6. Needless to say, the new IS is quite a step forward. Yes, I ended up driving one. It was white, with the premium package, 18" wheels (read: soft tires that don't last long Wink ), the dark interior, and a few other goodies. Holy smokes, it was comfortable, and it was ridiculously quiet. I got the feeling it was a bit smaller inside than the Q (after looking up dimensions, I find that it is, just a little). The back seat definitely isn't for full-size adults or even mid-teenagers, but that matters little to me. This car was just about perfect, except for being white. I liked the gray (Nebula) one next to it far better, but it had the Chateau (tan, to us regular folks) interior and didn't have the heated/cooled seats. If I could have swapped paint colors on the two, I'd have been set!

I talked with my Infiniti sales rep today -- he said, "You've changed from a buyer to a shopper." He's right. I spent a while today thinking of the practicalities:
* If I get the Q, then the Nissan store two miles from me (and from whom I've had great service over the years) can do most any routine maintenance work. Advantage: Infiniti.
* There's an Infiniti dealer about 45 miles from me in case of a need for warranty work or more significant repairs. The dealer I've been talking to is about 85 miles away, for whatever that matters.
* Infiniti offers a loaner when owners have to have work done; Lexus offers valet service. That is, the Lexus dealer (actually more like 85 miles away) would come to my little ol' town and pick the car up for maintenance/service work, and then bring it back. Advantage: Lexus.
* The Q comes with 19" run-flat tires. Yeouch! I'm sure the bill for replacing those will never be pleasant. The Lexus comes with soft-compound 18-inchers, so the bill might be a bit less unpleasant, though it may come more often. Advantage: undecided.
* Both are RWD, both are available AWD. The truth is, I'll keep my SUV until something drastic happens, so foul-weather driving is slightly less a concern to me. I'm fine with the idea of keeping the "good car" in the garage on snow days. For comparison purposes, I've considered only the RWD models. If I can't keep my SUV, then I'll be looking at the AWD versions.
* Infiniti's warranty terms are slightly better, at 60K miles vs 50K from Lexus.
* Here's the big one: the Q, configured as I'd like, will sticker for something like $10K more than the very nicely equipped IS I drove. That's significant. The IS I drove this past weekend was on a killer sale, so the difference in asking price is closer to $15K. That doesn't matter at this particular moment, but remains an important topic. Advantage: Lexus.

On a side note, the IS I drove was not equipped with navigation. Mr Sales Guy told me that there's an app -- Scout GPS -- that can be run from a smartphone and linked to the in-dash LCD for navigation. I'm not sure yet what I think of that. On the surface of it, that saves about $1700, plus the periodic $250-ish update cost. Heck, a very nice portable Garmin can be had for $250. On the other hand, phone-based GPS is limited in that there are places I go where cell service is zero. In-dash nav relies on GPS, and I've yet to get into an area where my Garmin won't get signal. Honestly, I don't think I'd mind not having the built-in nav. But I'm open to other input on the topic.

I'd like to know the brain trust's thoughts and experiences, particularly those from IS and Q owners. Thanks, SF.

Question:
Which would be your pick, and why?

Choices:
Q50
IS300

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Adding a note: I just learned that the 18" wheel/tire package gets me different sizes front and rear. That pretty well eliminates the "regular" rotation pattern. Heck, they're probably directional, too, meaning that [side-to-side] rotation involves removal from the wheels. Eek.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Infiniti, and have a 2003 FX35 that may last forever, but for $15k the Lexus wins

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’m a multiple Lexus guy, but I’m not nearly as particular about the little details as many of you. If it looks good, runs and rides comfortably, reliably, fine enough.

I have no use for in dash navigation. Those can’t be manipulated if the car is moving. If you realize you must change something you must pull over, stop, make the change and go on. Stuff that.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
In Consumer Reports most recent reliability survey of 500k owners reporting on their experiences with their cars, Lexus was found to be the top brand, but the IS was their least reliable model. Infiniti came in number 6 on the list, and the Q50 was their least reliable model. The trending problem is the manufacturers and models that are quick to embrace new technologies are the most problematic. This issue hammered Honda this year who fell out if the top 10 all the way down to 15.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both are beautiful cars but my vote is for the Lexus.

On a side note, the Lexus may be eligible for android auto and apple car play when it comes out on the 2019's.

That would be better than the factory navigation anyway in my opinion.

Maybe take an LC500 out for a test drive while you are there and let us know how it rides Big Grin

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
I owned an IS 250 (V6) and it was a great handling car but a little too snug for me. I’ve driven the turbo 4 as a loaner and it’s just not the same. I traded up to a used GS 350 and love it. The Scout navigation is terrible so I’d look for the real navigation if an option. Don’t have any info on the Q50 for comparison, but I’m a big Lexus fan based on reliability, features, comfort, and dealer service. I’ve owned 3 so far and will likely keep going back. The certified pre-owned are a great value. Good luck on your search and choice.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
Maybe take an LC500 out for a test drive while you are there and let us know how it rides Big Grin

There were two of those on the lot. I suspect they won't even let me close enough to breathe on one.
At $105K, I'd be half afraid to get within 30' of them. Wink

God bless America.

Picture of np149
posted Hide Post
I voted for a Q50 because I gots one! Wink

I came into owning it by happenstance a couple of years ago. My previous ride was a 2002 Ford Explorer that was long in the tooth. I decided it was time for a change, so I grabbed up a couple of buddies and went to the auto show to window shop.

I didn’t really have anything in mind when I went. I was just looking and seeing if anything caught my eye. Don’t you know, right where we walked in was the Infiniti displays and the bright red Q50. Boing! All it took was for me to sit in it for a few minutes and for the show hottie to go over some of the features. I was pretty impressed and signed up for their marketing.

By the time I was few displays away, their marketing team had sent me a welcome email. In comparison, several of the other companies took days, and some not at all, to email me. Plus one for Infiniti.

A couple of weeks later, I was ready to test drive some and went to three dealerships. Two of them left me hanging totally. The salespeople were all talking to each other or playing on their cell phones at the first two. After waiting 20 minutes at each without and offers of help, I left. The last stop was the Infiniti dealership.

When I went inside, I was welcomed warmly and three different employees introduced themselves. When I was finally introduced to the salesman, he took some time with me to go over features and my wants and needs.

While we were talking, he mentioned he had a like new 2014 lease turn in with 4100 miles on it (it was 2016). I took it for a test ride and knew it was good for me. The comfort of the drivers side was leaps and bounds better than what I had left behind. The sound system was great. The navigation system was alien to me, since I had never owned one. The thing was quick and handling was very responsive to me.

When I got back from the test, I knew it would come home with me. It was much less than the new 2016s, yet still comparable to them in most ways.

It’s been my daily driver since then and I love it. The entire experience was positive overall and I have no purchase regrets (other than the monthly payment, but that was budgeted for).

I got the Grey with dark Grey interior and I get a lot of compliments on it. The fit and finishis great. It has a reserve kind of quality to it. Not flashy at all. I like that it fits in well at higher end locations. I don’t feel out of place at a golf club for instance. On the other hand, I sometimes go into poorer neighborhoods and it blends in well there too because it doesn’t attract attention the way something more blingy would.

It is not built for hauling stuff or more than two people in comfort very far. I’ve stuck four in it, but it was a short run.

Overall, I like it a lot. I’ll look at Infiniti first when I am ready to trade up.

Posts: 236 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mercedes C class owner here.

I think the Q50 is a much better looking car on the outside, but the Lexus (F-Sport) wins on interior.

I think the IS is a bit smaller than the Q50 (and the W205 C-class), which ruled it out for me when I was shopping.

I drove a couple Q50s, none were the turbo engines, just the NA V6, and they lit no spark for me.

I imagine it's hard to wrong with either, but I'd personally put the Lexus a bit ahead of Infiniti.
I'd also maybe search a bit for an F-Sport GS over the IS, for the extra rear seat room.

My aunt had an 05 IS300 with a stick. Pretty much a non-turbo 4-door Supra, blast of a car to drive.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Have you considered the GS350 F Sport? This is what I currently drive and it's the best car I've ever owned. And hella fun to drive!

JP

Posts: 2048 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
If the IS is a little snug then maybe look at the GS.

I had a bad experience with Infiniti. Granted this was a 2005 G35 and things have changed. Manual transmission and the shifter rattled more than a blender mixing a margarita at anything above 3,500rpm. Multiple trips to the dealer and had the factory reps involved. Their response, "It's a performance vehicle you need to get used to some vibration and noise." They didn't like my response of I traded in a Camaro, if I'm complaining about noise and vibration, it's pretty serious. Three of us in the local SCCA club were auto crossing G35's and all of us had transmission issues.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go test drive a GS, the snug feeling will go away. You likely wont need the warranty near as much as the Q. We have a 350, quite likely the best vehicle we've owned, 90k miles on it. Worth every penny; i agree, hunt for a certified GS350 F Sport. Their red leather is nice.

Posts: 3593 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll mirror 2000Z-71 comments in that I had a bad experience with Infiniti. My 2005 G35 had the squealing brake issues start right after the warranty expired. I paid a ton of money to have it fixed and it always started again with 500 miles. Infiniti basically said tough luck after try #4 at fixing it. My Wife had been driving an ES350 and convinced me to look at the GS after I was considering a BMW and Audi. I bought the GS right after the test drive and couldn't be happier. I just hit 100K miles and it has been trouble free and Lexus service can't be beat. Fun to drive and very comfortable on long trips.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I vote Infiniti because the VQ engine is bullet proof. I have 320,000 miles on my Maxima.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I vote Acura.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
My dad always says, "You'll know it when you see it." Which car just feels 'right' to you?
A co-worker bought one of the Infiniti Q SUVs a few months ago, and it's been non-stop trouble for her. Closest dealership is in Lexington, KY, about a 2-hour drive from Huntington.

quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
I vote Infiniti because the VQ engine is bullet proof. I have 320,000 miles on my Maxima.

Almost. Valve cover gaskets/spark plug well gaskets will drive you multiple-ways-crazy. My '12 Maxima consumed oil, and after chasing many other areas of the engine...it was the spark plug well gaskets. On the rear bank of cylinders, next to the firewall. Once we changed those out...tight as a drum.

Go with the car that feels right to you, VT. Smile

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My wife has driven her Lexus over 200,000 and it's still doing fine with only minimal maintenance.
We live 30+ miles from any of the Japanese car dealers. Although we don't need them often having one 2 miles away versus 85 would be a serious consideration.
I wouldn't pay extra for built in navigation. We use the one in our pocket.
I would check the difference in fuel mileage. Ours does very well and other relatives with Nissan/Infinity have have found them to be less fuel efficient.
I would also check into any Honda/Acura options.
It would be hard to go wrong with any of the Japanese car options.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE
I have no use for in dash navigation. Those can’t be manipulated if the car is moving. If you realize you must change something you must pull over, stop, make the change and go on. Stuff that.[/QUOTE]

Not true for all vehicles. Every vehicle I've been in with in-dash navigation has the capability to manipulate the controls while the vehicle is in motion. The GPS for my BMW motorcycle has a default setting from the factory that prevents operating the GPS while the bike is in motion but you can go into settings and turn it off.

As to the OP's question I would go with the Lexus, better looking vehicle and a little better quality in my opinion but you can't go wrong with either vehicle

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
While waiting to pick up my Mercedes E350Coupe from routine service, one of the other people in line remarked about the loaner they'd been given: an IS250. "I now know what the IS stands for," he commented. "Incredibly Small!"

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post