SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Live Updates: United plane’s engine explodes after takeoff from DIA; debris falls from sky
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Live Updates: United plane’s engine explodes after takeoff from DIA; debris falls from sky Login/Join 
posted
BROOMFIELD, Colo. (KDVR) — Large chunks of metal rained down on northwest Denver metro neighborhoods Saturday afternoon after a United Airlines plane reported engine trouble.

LISTEN: MAYDAY call from crew of United flight 328
United Airlines confirmed flight 328 departed Denver International Airport for Honolulu at 12:15 p.m. Its crew reported an engine issue and turned back to the airport. It landed safely about 1:30 p.m.

Below are live updates on the incident:

4:35 p.m.: Some passengers have remained at DIA and plan to board another flight to Hawaii:

4:28 p.m.: According to United Airlines, 231 passengers and 10 crew members were aboard the plane, a Boeing 777. The airline says no injuries were reported.

4:23 p.m.: Images circulating online show the plane’s right engine on fire following the failure:

ORIGINAL STORY:

Debris landed in several neighborhoods, including near Sheridan Boulevard and West 136th Avenue, according to North Metro Fire Rescue.

BPD said no injuries have been reported.

While NTSB and authorities investigate the debris on the ground,

Video from Bennett — not far from Denver International Airport — shows a large, commercial airliner with smoke streaming from one of its engines.

Anyone who had debris land in their yard or near their home is asked to contact police at: 303-438-6405.

The National Transportation Safety Board is taking over the investigation.

United issued the following statement about the incident:

“Flight 328 from Denver to Honolulu experienced an engine failure shortly after departure, returned safely to Denver and was met by emergency crews as a precaution. There are no reported injuries onboard, and we will share more information as it becomes available. “

Video at the link: https://wgntv.com/news/metal-f...fter-engine-trouble/

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Dibs on the catalytic converter. Big Grin Those are all the rage here recently.

Yeah. I know. Jet engines ain't got 'em but that inconel from the turbine section ... sweet, sweet scrap dollahs!

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Ahh, no sweat. An engine service and some sheet metal work - bingo! Good to go! Big Grin

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Not something you want to see out your window...glad everyone is ok.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Donnie Darko lives?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Is that engine actually on fire or is that how it would normally look if you remove the cowling during operation?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that'll pucker your butt, no doubt

glad everyone landed safely

that maintenance inspector is going to have some explaining to do

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
The news helicopter was directly over my house. The explosion sounded like thunder. the cowling ring landed 3 blocks from us.

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^ Caption this photo....

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
^^^ Caption this photo....

Anyone for ring toss? Oh...wait!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Zoinks...a flying saucer...

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
How did that Giant Frisbee not touch the house or the truck?

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
How lucky do you have to be to have that land that close to your house and not hit? Actually, I'm wondering if it was moved there.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
So, if that would have happened about half way there, would they have been able to make Hawaii without a problem?

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
WOW! That guy with cowling next to his house needs to go buy a lottery ticket.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good thing that did not happen over the Pacific

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It hit at the edge of the garage.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Man they do not look real but the pic posted by braillediver and this one are on the Fox site with credit to Broomfield PD. The other two I found on twitter.

Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
A bunch more at this link:

https://www.thedenverchannel.c...-lands-safely-at-dia

We got asked to check our yards for pieces for the NTSB. That cowling ring hit and destroyed that poor guy's truck.

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post