SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Live Updates: United plane’s engine explodes after takeoff from DIA; debris falls from sky
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Live Updates: United plane’s engine explodes after takeoff from DIA; debris falls from sky Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
United owes that guy a truck.
An expensive truck.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Is the max landing weight the same as Max takeoff weight or sound they have dumped fuel. It didn’t seem like they were airborne long enough to burn it off.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t matter. In an actual emergency you can land at any weight. It will trigger overweight landing inspections and whatnot but that is the least of your concerns. In that scenario you get it on the deck as soon as you safely can.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Interesting listening to the video Jelly posted the pilots apparently had enough control of the aircraft to be able to fly further East and land from that side instead of making a direct return as first suggested by the controller.

Also interesting is that the engine was still on fire when they landed. I would have thought by shutting off the fuel and hydraulics to the engine the fire would have gone out..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Speaking only from my experience on the B737, you would be surprised how well the plane actually handles on one engine. It is VERY controllable and stable...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of the takeoff briefing in the cockpit will include the dump time; dump time applies if the problem is such that it allows the time to do the fuel dump. Generally with a fire, it's more important to get back to a runway, and one isn't going to take time to run a fuel jettison.

As part of the briefing, we'll discuss the amount of dump time in minutes (eg, if we have to return, 23 minutes of fuel dump, etc), but also that if we're on fire, we'll do an immediate return and accept the overweight. We'll plan the runway for that event, which may not be the departure runway. It may also not be the departure airport, if a more acceptable option is nearby (longer, better facilities, better approach, etc). In some cases, it's more appropriate to turn around and land opposite direction.

Engine firefighting capability is largely restricted to the accessory section of the engine where the fuel pumps, hydraulic pumps, etc, are located, and in some aircraft, the pylon area that attaches to the wing. When the exterior of the engine nacelle has separated and the engine is exposed, there's nothing to contain the firex agent to extinguish the fire, and it is lost. Cutting off fuel, bleed air, hydraulics, and electricity reduces the ignition sources and fuel, but there's also an oil tank in there, and the oil and any fuels that have escaped, will burn until consumed. With the nacelle damaged, direct airflow turns the fire into a blow torch.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Not something you want to see out your window...

"Don't look, just fly."

Even if it hadn't hit my car, I'd a drug'r over there and throw'd it on top of it. Wink

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Also interesting is that the engine was still on fire when they landed. I would have thought by shutting off the fuel and hydraulics to the engine the fire would have gone out..
I was wondering if that was the synthetic engine oil burning.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Is the max landing weight the same as Max takeoff weight or sound they have dumped fuel. It didn’t seem like they were airborne long enough to burn it off.

I sure as hell wouldn't be dumping fuel out of the bottom of the plane with the engine on fire!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuel dump is away from the engines. Fuel is pumped into a crossfeed manifold that is connected between tanks and engines, and sent to jettison valves near the wingtips. Dump rate is several thousand pounds per minute.

Bear in mind that while the engine may be on fire, the fire is not at the dump valve, and there's a an extremely high volume of ram air flowing between the fire and the fuel dump, isolating the two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sns3guppy,

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah. That won't buff out.

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Thanks, scratchy:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:

Great job on this video.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Juan Browne knows whereof he speaks. From 2012:

Pilot Thomas “Juan” Browne describes landing on one engine at LAX on flight from Hawaii.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
The video and report were excellent. Mr. Browne provided a calm, rational review of the event and detailed the procedures.

Training, well developed procedures and compliance to those procedures brought this event to a good outcome.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That was a good video he put together

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Juan Browne's explanations of the simulation training, flight planning, and pre-flight briefings of how to handle emergencies was extremely reassuring for us who are airline passengers!

Thanks, Jelly. I subscribed to the Blancolirio channel.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ His previous video gave a good explanation of how the decisions were quickly made as to which direction, etc, related to the questions asked above. You might watch it too.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on a plane that did something similar (at least to me the lay person) huge fireball down the side of the plane and pilot eventually announced we lost an engine. It obviously worked out and I'm glad it worked out for these folks here.

I know its a testament to the airframe and such but to this day I need to be about 4-5 sheets getting on a plane and have exhausted all alternatives previously.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post