SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spring in WI means... Onion rings?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring in WI means... Onion rings? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted
Last night we made hot dogs on the grill. I was so happy to get the grill fired up.

However, the reason I really got so excited was for onion rings!

Growing up in WNY, there was a hot dog chain called Ted's. There's one in AZ, too.. Phoenix, I think? Anyhow....

Their onion rings, for me, are the stuff of legends. Once again, something I've worked diligently at recreating since moving away.

While I'm unwilling to pay the exorbitant prices to have Sahlen's hot dogs shipped in (even though I should, BOY do I miss those!!!), there are a few "decent" natural casing hot dogs available in the local grocery. So that just left the onion rings.

Last night, I think I finally nailed it.

I used vidalia onions. Sliced not too thin but not too thick, perhaps 1/4". One good sized onion made enough rings for two people as a side dish.

I sliced the onion, then disassembled all the slices into individual rings and let them sit on the counter for a few hours. I saw something on food network about places that allow their onion rings to "dry" a bit, so I tried it.

Then when it came time to fry them, it went like this:

Oil @ 375

Some AP flour and some salt mixed up, split into two large, shallow dishes (cake pans would work great).
1.5 cups milk with one large egg beaten in.

Dredge in one flour dish, then the egg, then the other flour dish.

I dredged all the rings, then left them sit in the last flour bowl until they were all done, then fried them all at once. I didn't time it, but I went until the crust JUST started to get a wee bit dark.

They were everything they should be. The crust was crunchy and flaky, the onion still had just a LITTLE bit of bite to them, they weren't mushy or slimy.

The only thing I'd change next time is I'd add a bit more salt to the flour.

Sorry, no pics, they were gone before they even cooled halfway to room temperature. LOL

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great recipe, but next time add some beer to the flour and salt mix!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I have neutered mags but I can go to Ted's or grab a pack of Sahlens. Ted's dogs are ok but the best chili sauce is at the place on Seneca St near the city line. I'll grab some onion rings, you grab some deep fried cheese curds and we'll meet in the middle somewhere.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post