SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who here use a password manager? Password manager OneLogin hacked.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here use a password manager? Password manager OneLogin hacked. Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
The problem with many of these password managers is they force you to keep a copy of your password store on their servers. Two problems: If they close their doors (as happened with one such password management app): You're screwed. Secondly: Yes, your password store is encrypted, but, because that's explicitly what they're storing it's readily-identifiable as a password store and thus a high-value target.

If a bad guy gets a copy of your password store they have all the time in the world to begin attacking it. Even home-brew purpose-built "cracking farms" (multiple computers running multiple graphics cards each--the GPUs of which are very good for this purpose) can brute-force even the strongest encryption in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Logmeonce gives you the option to store on YOUR computer Not the cloud.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I'm using LastPass. The interface is not always perfect and it's a bit "in your way" sometimes, but it works well in my opinion.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Many of my IT clients solve the problem by just taping their password to their monitor. Eek

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem with many of these password managers is they force you to keep a copy of your password store on their servers. Two problems: If they close their doors (as happened with one such password management app): You're screwed. Secondly: Yes, your password store is encrypted, but, because that's explicitly what they're storing it's readily-identifiable as a password store and thus a high-value target.

If a bad guy gets a copy of your password store they have all the time in the world to begin attacking it. Even home-brew purpose-built "cracking farms" (multiple computers running multiple graphics cards each--the GPUs of which are very good for this purpose) can brute-force even the strongest encryption in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Dashlane uses AES-256.

The best algorithm currently known for breaking AES takes, on average, 1/4 the time of brute forcing it.

So how long would that take?

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1279619

Here's a 2012 article where they conservatively estimated that 128-bit AES would take the then-fastest supercomputing cluster in the world about 1 billion billion years to brute force.

Using the best exploit currently known, we could get that down to 250 million billion years.

256-bit AES is 2^128 times harder to crack than 128-bit AES.

That's about 300000000000000000000000000000000000000 times harder.

That is far from a "surprisingly short amount of time," at least as long as you use a reasonably secure password. If your password is "password" or "dog123" or something, all bets are off.

AES could always he cracked tomorrow, of course, but there are very strong mathematical arguments that there shouldn't be a significant exploit.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Yeah, there are a bunch of them out there now. My preference is LastPass with 2 factor auth.
<snip>

CNET reports some vulnerabilities in LastPass:

“No, LastPass isn't flawless: A vulnerability privately reported in September 2019 was a scary flaw that could potentially compromise passwords. But the company patched it before it was known to be exploited in the wild. It was one of several vulnerabilities that have been discovered in LastPass over the years.

More recently, however, privacy concerns emerged around LastPass's Android app when a privacy advocacy project discovered seven web trackers within the mobile app.

In light of these privacy concerns and LastPass's new restrictions on its free-tier service, we're currently in the process of reevaluating LastPass's rank in our list of top password managers. Read our LastPass review”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...st-password-manager/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I used Last Pass years ago - but then they got hacked. Since then I use note cards and store them in my safe.
Certainly not perfect, but they will never be read by hackers.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've been using 1Password on my Mac for many years now. I use the stand-alone version, not the newer web version, so my encrypted vault is stored locally. I have it on 2 Macs and my iPhone. The master vault is on one Mac, and the other two devices sync with that. Syncing is done on the local network, with no cloud involvement at all.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Bitwarden with a self hosted setup is where I’m moving from iOS keychain.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
What's the scoop on the iphone native password manager?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I've been using 1Password on my Mac for many years now. I use the stand-alone version, not the newer web version, so my encrypted vault is stored locally. I have it on 2 Macs and my iPhone. The master vault is on one Mac, and the other two devices sync with that. Syncing is done on the local network, with no cloud involvement at all.
I have a "how to" question about this. I too, use the non-web version on two Macs, one at home and one in my office at the hangar, and also in an iPhone.

Right now, everything is synced through the cloud, DropBox if I remember correctly, or might be iCloud.

Here's my question: If I wanted to take the cloud out of the picture, but still keep the two Macs (in different locations) synced, could I make the iPhone version the "master" and have the Mac desktop installations of 1Password sync automatically whenever the iPhone connects to the local network? If so, how to set this up?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If everything's sync'd via iCloud, I really wouldn't worry about it. The keychain, itself, is encrypted, then the data is again encrypted in iCloud storage.

In such a case the odds of against anybody ever getting what's in your keyring are astronomically high.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
If everything's sync'd via iCloud, I really wouldn't worry about it. The keychain, itself, is encrypted, then the data is again encrypted in iCloud storage.

In such a case the odds of anybody ever getting what's in your keyring are astronomically high.

Maybe:
In such a case the odds against anybody ever getting what's in your keyring are astronomically high.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Maybe:
In such a case the odds against anybody ever getting what's in your keyring are astronomically high.

Yes. Corrected. Thanks!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they close their doors (as happened with one such password management app): You're screwed.

Not so with Dashlane. (and probably most of the others) You can occasionally down load a list of all of your stored passwords. Print it out , or make a digital copy which in either case it's then up to you to secure the downloaded list. Safe? off site? in your wife's bra drawer?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
1Password

Same here. I like it. I only use local storage for the password vault.

I use 1Password also after some studying up on the topic. I used to have a list of sites with passwords but the passwords are in code. But reusing passwords was easy. When I started using a password manager, it was like the feeling you get after years of regularly hitting your shin against the table - it felt such a relief. I have 257 individual passwords / logins.

For website logins that I want to keep especially secure, I learned one trick. When you record a new password or change to a new password, save the password to your password manager but before saving to the actual site, add another string of characters that you memorize.

That way, even if the password in the password manager is decrypted, it still won't work because it doesn't have the second part which you only memorize.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I am my own 'Password Manager', and I'm unhackable....100% secure! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8876 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Bitwarden is a good option. It's open source and the host option is affordable ($10/year if you need functionality beyond the free tier).

You can also self host an instance if you are so inclined.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Keypass and sync IPhones, Macbook Pro, Window 10 and wifes Iphone by using Dropbox as the master repository. The database is encrypted so is OK on dropbox, no website has my stuff to get hacked. pretty basic but effective and cheap. Open source. I did donate as it is only fair.
https://keepass.info/

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
It is tempting to this so, but it is hard, if not impossible, to reconcile that approach with the need to maintain a different password, of sufficient variability and complexity, for each use case/login. Very few people have that good a memory.

Even then you are vulnerable to "false flag" attacks, e.g. a website that masquerades as another prompting you to enter a password that has value on the forged site.

So the truth is that you can be "hacked" through social engineering and other methods. Mitnick's "The Art of Deception" provides many examples of how this might occur.

Trusting one's integrity, intellect, and abilities has proven flawed for many many people. It may be wiser to acknowledge one's own limitations, and use a tool, like a password vault, to help overcome them.

So as to not veer too far off the topic, the password vault I have found that best fits my use profile is called "b-folders." It does not save to the cloud by default, and uses device-to-device syncing. Its biggest shortcoming is that it isn't available for iOS. I also use the Apple Keychain on macOS and iOS.

Posts: 6466 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
It is tempting to this so, but it is hard, if not impossible, to reconcile that approach with the need to maintain a different password, of sufficient variability and complexity, for each use case/login. Very few people have that good a memory.

Even then you are vulnerable to "false flag" attacks, e.g. a website that masquerades as another prompting you to enter a password that has value on the forged site.

So the truth is that you can be "hacked" through social engineering and other methods. Mitnick's "The Art of Deception" provides many examples of how this might occur.

Trusting one's integrity, intellect, and abilities has proven flawed for many many people. It may be wiser to acknowledge one's own limitations, and use a tool, like a password vault, to help overcome them.

So as to not veer too far off the topic, the password vault I have found that best fits my use profile is called "b-folders." It does not save to the cloud by default, and uses device-to-device syncing. Its biggest shortcoming is that it isn't available for iOS. I also use the Apple Keychain on macOS and iOS.

In addition, I use Dashlane's password generator and use the longest password allowable by the particular site, with upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols. Hand typing these is very tedious.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post