SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who here use a password manager? Password manager OneLogin hacked.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here use a password manager? Password manager OneLogin hacked. Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I use a piece of paper...

It will never be hacked

I use a little black book.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This article I posted a while back in another thread. The guy who wrote all those passwords rules is now sorry. Good Read here:

http://gizmodo.com/the-guy-who...rules-now-1797643987

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use a little black book

Is this the cover?

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
We had this online password manager discussion not so long ago.

Where is the person who gave me immense grief and told me storing passwords on the cloud was "safer than keeping it on your computer at home"???

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
His info was hacked, his ID stolen and his life ruined. I think I saw him looking for handouts in a Walmart parking lot.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Funny.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
From the article it sounds like neither the App itself nor the type of encryption used in the app were hacked, in fact, but rather the intruder got into the Cloud Server / Data Center - which, apparently, stored the data in an easier to breach manner.

I like Password Managers, but I would never, ever, ever, ever store that information anywhere other than under my direct control, no matter whose "cloud"/data center.

This breach isn't so much an issue of Password Managers or Encryption, it's shitty gaps in the security of their data center and the practice of saving said data to the Cloud.

Which is a world different than "someone hacking a password manager app".

Fwiw

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Is this the old "if there are two barbers in a town you go to the one with the bad haircut" kind of thing?

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I use Dashlane.

Everything stored on Dashlane's servers is encrypted using your Dashlane password. Dashlane does not store your password and Dashlane has no way to decrypt your data even if they want to. Unencrypted passwords are never present on Dashlane's servers. Decryption happens ONLY on your device, not on Dashlane's servers, and new passwords are encrypted on your device before being sent to Dashlane's servers. If someone copied all of Dashlane's user data, all they would have is encrypted garbage.

Passwords are only stored on your devices encrypted, too, and you have to enter your Dashlane password (which isn't stored ANYWHERE) to decrypt them.

The downside to all this is that if you forget your Dashlane password, you're screwed, there is absolutely no way to recover anything.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I use Lastpass on my computers and phone and like it. As noted previously, the encryption key is not stored on their end, so the data they do store is virtually worthless without it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I don't knock the technology of symmetric encryption and the supporting cipher management schemas of these products. The stuff is utterly fascinating. The problem is the simple fact that by nature encrypted repositories are high value targets. And the more valuable the target, the higher the cost of risk mitigation. Because these systems are designed, implemented, and managed by humans, sometimes the bad guys win. If you want serious security, you'd probably need some scheme that the military uses to send messages to nuclear submarines.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
lastpass user here

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
That's pretty good, convincing people to store their passwords online.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:

This ^^^^^

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
We had this online password manager discussion not so long ago.

Where is the person who gave me immense grief and told me storing passwords on the cloud was "safer than keeping it on your computer at home"???

Yes this THAT thread

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sharing / storing passwords on the Cloud.

What could possibly go wrong?

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I use Dashlane.

Everything stored on Dashlane's servers is encrypted using your Dashlane password. Dashlane does not store your password and Dashlane has no way to decrypt your data even if they want to. Unencrypted passwords are never present on Dashlane's servers. Decryption happens ONLY on your device, not on Dashlane's servers, and new passwords are encrypted on your device before being sent to Dashlane's servers. If someone copied all of Dashlane's user data, all they would have is encrypted garbage.

Passwords are only stored on your devices encrypted, too, and you have to enter your Dashlane password (which isn't stored ANYWHERE) to decrypt them.

The downside to all this is that if you forget your Dashlane password, you're screwed, there is absolutely no way to recover anything.

I'm in the Dashlane camp, too, and for the same reasons. WSJ had a review of password-keepers in May of 2014 , and Dashlane was the best of the bunch at the time. This is from the article (which is three years old - several millenia in tech-years) but it shows the lay of the land as of then:

If you don't care about multiple devices, Dashlane free version does everything the paid one does, except sync across devices (phone, pad, laptop, desktop, etc.)

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I'm in the Dashlane camp, too, and for the same reasons. WSJ had a review of password-keepers in May of 2014 , and Dashlane was the best of the bunch at the time. This is from the article (which is three years old - several millenia in tech-years) but it shows the lay of the land as of then:
Here's a bit more recent review done by PC Magazine. It appears LastPass and Dashlane are the best of the lot. Best Password Managers for 2017

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The problem with many of these password managers is they force you to keep a copy of your password store on their servers. Two problems: If they close their doors (as happened with one such password management app): You're screwed. Secondly: Yes, your password store is encrypted, but, because that's explicitly what they're storing it's readily-identifiable as a password store and thus a high-value target.

If a bad guy gets a copy of your password store they have all the time in the world to begin attacking it. Even home-brew purpose-built "cracking farms" (multiple computers running multiple graphics cards each--the GPUs of which are very good for this purpose) can brute-force even the strongest encryption in a surprisingly short amount of time.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post