SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Visit with the Gray Ghost today Col. John S. Mosby
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visit with the Gray Ghost today Col. John S. Mosby Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Traveling through Warrenton, VA today I got to stop and visit the gravesite of the Gray Ghost himself. I am a “War Between the States” enthusiast, and Colonel Mosby was one of my first heroes as a young child. It was humbling and awesome.

I realize in today’s world these men are demonized but that’s all a matter of opinion. I respect men like Col. Mosby and can’t help but think if more men were to emulate him we’d be the better for it.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much too late to do anything for anyone. My great grandfather took a mini ball to the chest in 1862 from a Reb. Which, also like you I am not not demonizing anyone as I served -as did my father (WW2) and my grandfather (WW1 also killing Germans) and we all learned that you'all in the the south are fantastic folks. Different, but solid and good. Better warriors than northerners, by far.

My mother, getting ready to check out the other day (being just shy of 100 years old and all) noted that her Grandmother sewed Quantrills black shirts. So it turns out that like most Americans, I have lots of relatives who served on both sides. A quick check of the roster of the Quantrill raiders that attacked Lawrence Kansas showed that her (my great grandmothers) brother was in that battle. Turns out that all they wanted was what we want over 100 years later. To be left alone in peace to farm, work, raise a family, etc. Sadly, it was not to be. A quick read of any civil war tome quickly shows that the good folks from the south were more badass and tough than anyone could ever imagine. Col. Moseby was one of thousands. Don't ever tear their statues down or forget that history. More than simply respecting this col or that General, we should salute every damned reb who served and sacrificed do much. It's shocking how much the south and southerners endured. Our country is the worse to this day because of that war.

Best to you all my brothers. Let us all avoid the needless bullshit thrown our way going forward. Sorry but I'll apologize anyway as I'm still a bit of a Yankee.

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's a good book.

Posts: 2206 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
The thing about the Civil War that many forget is, that every fatal Minié ball killed an American.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Civil War nearly destroyed us as a nation. I had a maternal relative killed in the war. As child, I visited his grave and it was amazing to me that a family member gave his life in the conflict.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15973 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
My hero as well, even named a dog after him. What better name for a gray mischievous Akita? Best damn dog I've ever had.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11743 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Better warriors than northerners, by far.

That's for sure.

Posts: 1535 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a military history fanatic but have not studied the War between the States like one would think especially after living in Richmond, VA for over 16 years.

With that being said Colonel John S. Mosby is one I have studied closely along with Col. John H. Morgan.

An interesting individual, a great tactician along with a great post war life and career.

"After the war, Mosby became a Republican and worked as an attorney, supporting his former enemy's commander, U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant. He also served as the American consul to Hong Kong and in the U.S. Department of Justice."

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
It really saddens me to see what the new Left is trying to do by re-writing history. I don't care on what side your sympathies lie, the fact of the matter is that all who served were patriots, answering their country's call to arms. Let's never forget: It was a CIVIL WAR. The outcome could have been two countries. Abraham Lincoln skewered the Constitution to keep it one, and died as a result.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Abraham Lincoln skewered the Constitution to keep it one, and died as a result.

You say it like its a bad thing! But at least he died.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18381 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I had a similar reaction when I first visited the grave site of Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson and the tomb of General Robert E. Lee in Lexington, Va.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6704 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We stopped by Gettysburg in 2012 and listened to a discussion about a raider in Virginia. I asked my then 14 year old son, who he was talking about. He stopped eating his ice cream cone to say "I think John Mosby". I, of the far western theater knew of our local raiders Quantrill and Bloody Bill but had been unaware of Mosby. A couple books when we got home took care of that. Thanks for the pics!!

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Loudoun County use to have John Mosby Days in the Spring with camping out of reenactors at the Mt Zion Church with horses and typical camping equipment of the period .

Loudoun County recently acquired more land around the Mt. Zion Church and across the road.

https://www.novaparks.com/parks/mt-zion-historic-park

There are some big trees around the church which has been restored and lightning hit one of the trees and luckily it fell away from the church om July 2017.

Numerous signs have been added to note the events that occurred during the Civil War.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 41,

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post