SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Don’t want to stay home? Get shot and killed in the Philippines.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don’t want to stay home? Get shot and killed in the Philippines. Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I don’t think this has been posted here, if so Mods or Para just delete this.

Just saw where the Phillines President Duerte has ordered the military and police to “shoot them Dead” of those who defy the Covid Lockdown. Remember him? He’sthe one who ordered his forces to shoot and kill drug dealers a few years ago, then took a verbal potshot at us over it.

Shoot Them Dead': Philippine President Orders Police, Military To Kill Citizens Who Defy Coronavirus Lockdown

In the Philippines, the 57 million residents of the country's main island, Luzon, are under strict lockdown orders to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Despite that, many in a Manila slum took to the streets Wednesday to protest a lack of supplies, arguing they had not received any food packs since the lockdown started two weeks ago.

The local government refutes those claims and clashed with protestors, ultimately arresting 20 people who refused to return home.

Later that night, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte took to the airwaves with a chilling warning for his citizens: Defy the lockdown orders again and the police will shoot you dead.

"I will not hesitate. My orders are to the police and military, as well as village officials, if there is any trouble, or occasions where there's violence and your lives are in danger, shoot them dead," he said in a mix of Filipino and English in the televised address. "Do not intimidate the government. Do not challenge the government. You will lose."

This sort of order is not out of character for the controversial leader, who is notoriously accused of presiding over extrajudicial killings of suspected drug dealers at the hands of police for years. Nevertheless, it marks a chilling escalation in the global fight against COVID-19.

According to Johns Hopkins, the Philippines has 2,633 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 107 deaths – significantly less than some other countries of comparable size.

So far, actions taken by authoritarian governments have proven most effective in stemming the spread of the virus – asking citizens to sacrifice privacy and some of their freedoms in exchange for public health.

Poland is making quarantined citizens use a selfie app to prove they're staying inside. Singapore is using Bluetooth signals between cellphones to keep track of who people come into contact with.

But Duterte's threat may be the boldest. "I will not hesitate my soldiers to shoot you," Duterte said in forceful tones Wednesday. "I will not hesitate to order the police to arrest and detain you. Now, if you are detained, I will leave it up to you to find food."

LINK TO STORY

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
You don't hear much about Dutarte's war on drugs much anymore.

I assume that means it was successful.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I lived in the Philippines for three years.

This isn’t a surprise to me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
You don't hear much about Duterte's war on drugs much anymore.

Either that or Filipinos (I can't seem to get any version with "Ph" past the spellcheck) are essentially ungovernable when they want to be. Whether it works or not, shooting people in the street kinda reeks of desperation.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Anyone who knows even a little about that man shouldn’t be surprised. I was expecting to see that headline in the news eventually.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Please tell me that this had something to do with a bar in Olongapo.

I envision you, shaved head much like Col Kurtz in “Apocalypse Now”, no real “army”... more like a “harem” of semi-naked Filipino women.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
You don't hear much about Dutarte's war on drugs much anymore.

Lighting your house on fire is a good way to get the kids out of bed in the morning, but it's probably got a few drawbacks.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't seem to get any version with "Ph" past the spellcheck

"Filipino" (or the feminine "Filipina") is correct. It comes from Spanish, and I don't believe Spanish has a "ph."

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far the majority of Filipinos I have spoken to are happy with what their president had accomplished for their country.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIP2000GLO,

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That murderous loon is always making up excuses to kill his own people.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
He has strong ties to the Marcos, who ruled that country for years. Corrupt leadership since 1965. None of this is surprising in the least. Politically, they are a case study in corrupt dictatorship. Duerte is literally crazy, a lunatic.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
That murderous loon is always making up excuses to kill his own people.

Maybe lots of people need killin'.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

I envision you, shaved head much like Col Kurtz in “Apocalypse Now”, no real “army”... more like a “harem” of semi-naked Filipino women.

I am convinced that the Marines would be a more efficient fighting force if each Marine did a six month stint at The Mariposa bar and grill in Olangapo.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
I can't seem to get any version with "Ph" past the spellcheck

"Filipino" (or the feminine "Filipina") is correct. It comes from Spanish, and I don't believe Spanish has a "ph."

Agreed, but the Filipinos themselves decided to call their country "the Phillipines" in English and "Republika Ng Pilipinas" in at least Tagalog (Cebueno and Visayan are almost as common there as Tagalog). Somewhere in there there ought to be room to call them "Philipinos".

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duterte is no different than all the unemployed guys hanging around the coffee shop/bar, bitching about their world, meanwhile their wives are off working and making sure the house is running right.

He talks big and bold, likes to use Dirty Harry & Rambo references. Many like him, as they see the results, the flip-side is the guy is a ham-fisted idiot, who thinks he's a big fish.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

I am convinced that the Marines would be a more efficient fighting force if each Marine did a six month stint at The Mariposa bar and grill in Olangapo.

Spent some time there myself as well as the Roofadora just down the street.

Filipino cops dont mess around. I saw them in action a few times breaking up bar fights

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is absolutely true!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
He's a murderous nutjob, and is probably the only one there who'd actually deserve it.

I fart in his general direction.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
... The Mariposa bar and grill in Olangapo.

Ahh, memories! Pitcher of Mojo and fried chicken(?)

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post