SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New York To Scrap Literacy Test For Teachers In The Name Of Diversity
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New York To Scrap Literacy Test For Teachers In The Name Of Diversity Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Sometimes my neck gets sore from shaking my head when I read things like this.

Prospective teachers in New York will likely no longer have to pass a basic reading and writing literacy exam, the Associated Press is reporting.

The state’s Board of Regents is expected to ditch the Academic Literacy Skills Test in part because black and Hispanic teaching candidates struggled to pass the exam, according to the AP.

Just 41 percent of black teaching candidates and 46 percent of Hispanics passed the test on their first try, compared to 64 percent of white candidates.

The multiple choice exam is meant to ensure high standards among prospective teachers, which many teaching preparation programs have struggled to do.

A December 2016 study by the National Council on Teacher Quality found that 44 percent of teaching programs “cannot ensure that most of their incoming candidates are among the top half of college students.”

A state task force recommended the board scrap the exam because of the number of black and hispanic candidates struggling to pass it. The board is expected to adopt the recommendations on Monday.

“We want high standards, without a doubt. Not every given test is going to get us there,” Pace University professor Leslie Soodak told the AP.

Soodak was a member of the task force that advocated abandoning literacy tests for teachers.

“Having a white workforce really doesn’t match our student body anymore,” Soodak added.

Opponents to the exam unsuccessfully attempted to have it struck down in court in 2015, arguing that it was discriminatory because racial minorities performed worse on the test than white candidates. A federal judge declined to strike it down, however.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03...e-name-of-diversity/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is still the case, but if you were a teacher in NYC, you had to get your Masters degree within 5 years of becoming a teacher.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Just want to clarify. Teachers. Those who are supposed to have the skills necessary to impart knowledge upon our children. Those who have graduated from high school and college with some sort of degree.

In NYC, at best, 36% fail a basic reading and writing literacy exam. Am I reading that right?

Almost 4 out of 10 of those in NYC with college degrees who are applying as teachers can't pass a basic reading and writing literacy exam?

I do believe I have discovered a problem.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I don't know if this is still the case, but if you were a teacher in NYC, you had to get your Masters degree within 5 years of becoming a teacher.

I believe that is still true.

What's scary is that these folks are supposed to have a at least a bachelors to get hired.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
In NYC, at best, 36% fail a basic reading and writing literacy exam. Am I reading that right?

Yeah, but the test is racist so you're imposing your white ethnocentric definition of "fail." Roll Eyes

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Keep the population stupid, keep them dependent. Its in the Dems playbook.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7506 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I just messengered a friend of mine in NY who is a teacher. She said the test was not that hard and she passed on the first go. She was actually rather pissed that they are talking about eliminating the test and especially pissed that would be teachers could not pass it.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Apparently, the Board of Regents members are even dumber than the applicants.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Like others here I have been a teacher in the past. Spent a year at a flagship black university. The lack of education on the part of the students was frightening.

Also did a school year teaching night courses at a local college.

Comparing the difference between the day students at that flagship university and the night school students here in Manassas, I can say the following:

Night school students were head and shoulders above the "university" students. They worked harder and I had to work harder to get them where we all wanted them to be.

The students at that black school were not stupid, they were not incompetent. They were sadly unmotivated, and poorly prepared for college level courses.

When my company called me back from that year assignment there were a lot of tears, and I was asked at least 20 times, "Who is going to care about us when you leave?"

I held 5 graded exercises there. Had 180 total students and I graded every assignment by hand as they were all essay type questions, or performance tests on computer skills.

And now NY wants to scrap a literacy test for teachers?!?!?!?!?

All I can say is, God help the students in that shit heap!"

So they just give up on getting literate and competent teachers and turn out even more uneducated students.

Since they are so concerned about literacy and diversity, maybe they can figure out that sending even more uneducated "diversity" students into the market place is not going to do anyone any good.

I will sign off now, as my blood pressure is spiking.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
At least now I understand why so many people are stupid.

Posts: 3449 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
“Having a white workforce really doesn’t match our student body anymore,” Soodak added.
But having an completely illiterate black workforce will most certainly match the student body. Well done, moron.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
My wife is a retired language arts teacher. Her kindest reaction to that news was a derisive snort. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
So teachers who are illiterate are going to teach illiterate students how to be literate?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
A December 2016 study by the National Council on Teacher Quality found that 44 percent of teaching programs “cannot ensure that most of their incoming candidates are among the top half of college students.”

Yeah, no shit. By definition, everybody can't be above average.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
This man says it better than I can.
Ethical Behavior

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Remember the movie "Idocracy"?

It's becoming more and more apparent that it was a wry documentary and not a comedy.
Confused

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I...

Wait...

Um...

Yeah.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I also just asked an NYC teacher and she said the test is pointless. They take 2 classes in the program that cover the material from the ASLT. If you fail the test but pass the courses you just submit your grades then move on. You don't fail out of the program. She also said there are 4 tests total and the ASLT is the easiest and must redundant. People who fail the ASLT remain in the program anyway then get weeded out by failing the CST. She said it's just $300 that's wasted because if you pass the ASLT test you still have to take the courses that are required and pass you anyway. Just another way for Pearson testing to make money.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Keep the population stupid, keep them dependent. Its in the Dems playbook.

Since the 2006 election cycle, I have seen the insidious truth of that statement demonstrated in a myriad of ways. Public education, perhaps being the most egregious example. Mad

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
So teachers who are illiterate are going to teach illiterate students how to be literate?
As Bobbie Burns was wont to say: "Ay hae me doots!"

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post