SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hard Drive replacement ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard Drive replacement ?? Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
Have been thinking of replacing my hard drive it is a 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA drive if, I change it out can I go with a 1Tb or 2Tb 7200 RPM drive and, if I replace it will I have to re-buy my operating system or can I continue to use the one I have.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Can you swap out for a larger drive? Absolutely. Can you keep your operating system software? You should be able to. What software is it and how old is your PC?

Have you considered adding a SSD drive instead? Load your operating system on it, and relegate your existing 500gb drive to storage only. That should speed up your system quite a bit as well.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You can transfer an identical copy of your smaller 500gb hard drive onto the new larger drive. Many new hard drives purchased in retail packaging comes with free software to do this. If you don't get free software, then Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image will work.

If you have a desktop computer, consider just adding the second drive as additional space, and move your files over to give the operating system room to breathe.

Also, if you can afford it, I really recommend going with an SSD instead of a 7200 RPM drive. The performance gain is really really worth it.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Have done that several times. The last time was to a 1 TB SSD. Pricing on the solid state drives is still a good bit higher than SATA but their speed is worth it in my opinion.

There may be other programs but I have used HDClone. Works fine going from smaller drive to larger or to equal capacity drives. Works easiest when you have a set of cables or USB connection so you can clone from current drive directly to the new one. Then physically swap them after the cloning process. There’s probably a YouTube video out there somewhere.

Pretty sure you can download a free copy of HDClone from CNET or other sources.

Michael

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
What is the problem you are trying to solve? If you just need more space, like Aeteocles said, you can add another drive, either internal, or external, and move your files (photos, music, video) to the new drive. 500Gb is plenty of space for the OS and programs.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I just did that not long ago.

I swapped a 1 TB drive in to replace a much smaller one. There is a device that you put both drives in, press the button and in a while everything on the small drive is on the large drive. You bolt the new large drive in and it’s like nothing happened, except you have a larger drive.

That device was provided to me by a listmate, gratis, and I have it in trust to hand to the next guy in need.

Might that be you?

Shoot me an e-mail.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I've used Macrium Reflect to clone one drive to another. I'd recommend it.

I'd also recommend an SSD for the OS drive, and a large drive for storage space.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Can you swap out for a larger drive? Absolutely. Can you keep your operating system software? You should be able to. What software is it and how old is your PC?

Have you considered adding a SSD drive instead? Load your operating system on it, and relegate your existing 500gb drive to storage only. That should speed up your system quite a bit as well.

PC is 5 or 6 years old the model is Pavilion 20-b010.
My main purpose is to speed up my machine, it is sluggish and things load slow. I have used IE 11, Edge, Chrome, & Wataerfox. some things take a long time to load such as miniclip 8 ball pool which takes mminutes (8-12) to load and sometimes never, my cursor freezes up and on IE11 I get a lot of recover page notifications.

My thinking was if I swapped out for a new/clean hard drive it might clean up some of these problems.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Based on what you just said above, cloning your drive to a new drive may not necessarily fix your issues.

If you have the installation disks and the key for your OS, I would recommend installing the new drive as the boot drive with a fresh OS installation and use the old drive as storage. You will need to reinstall applications too, but the data/picture/what have you can remain on the original drive as storage.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

PC is 5 or 6 years old the model is Pavilion 20-b010.
My main purpose is to speed up my machine, it is sluggish and things load slow. I have used IE 11, Edge, Chrome, & Wataerfox. some things take a long time to load such as miniclip 8 ball pool which takes mminutes (8-12) to load and sometimes never, my cursor freezes up and on IE11 I get a lot of recover page notifications.

My thinking was if I swapped out for a new/clean hard drive it might clean up some of these problems.

If you copy the old drive to a new one, chances are excellent you'll copy the problems, too.

IMO what you need to do is clean up the existing drive/OS.

Back up your critical files to an external drive or cloud folder.

Then, assuming the problem drive isn't nearly full, which would be a problem itself, the first thing I would do is uninstall all programs I was certain I didn't need.

Next, I'd download Ccleaner and run it, using both the file cleaner (I don't recall exactly what it's called, but it deletes temp files and such) and also the registry cleaner. You may have to run the registry cleaner multiple times before it finds no more problems.

Of course, you also need to be sure you have a good antivirus installed, up to date, and working. It would be a good idea to also download and run Malwarebytes.

Doing these things will likely make a big difference, in my experience.

posted Hide Post
New HDD isn't going to solve your problem. New SSD might make it a little bit better, but not worth the $$$. That PC has an AMD E-1 processor, which was slow when it came out.

1. Take Rusbro's advice (especially backing things up). This will help & is free.
2. Reinstall OS - free if you have all the disks/keys. HP probably left a restore program/partition in the computer, it will 'reset' everything back to the day you bought it quickly & easily.
3. Spend 5-600$ for a new machine. 1-200$ isn't going to do much, if anything for your current machine, it's guts aren't upgradeable. You can get a good refurb i3 for ~200, add a monitor/keyboard/mouse and you're less then 400. Anything with an intel 'core' processor from the last 4 years will eat your machine for lunch.

Try 1 & 2 first, I think you'll notice the difference, but it's only a matter of time before that machine is obsolete for things that use CPU/GPU power - like games.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

A "larger" HD won't solve the problem unless you are out of hard drive space.
However, after many, many years of IT work I have seen spinning hard drives deteriorate performance over time.
That being said while replacing with another spinning drive will help but only marginally ~ replace with a SSD drive will make much more of a difference.

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a 256 GB SSD for the OS and regularly accessed files keeping the 500 gig for archival storage.

That'd be the only hope of speeding up the fundamentals.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Try adding another user account. I've been having problems with my Win 7 Premium. We have an admin account and a "non-privileged" account for every day activities.

Adding a new non-privileged account and removing the old non-privileged account seemed to restore performance. Not as much as wiping the drive and re-installing the OS, but it's much better than it was. Takes all of 10 minutes or so to do. Maybe a little longer if you have to re-configure Outlook, etc...

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
miniclip 8 ball pool which takes mminutes (8-12) to load and sometimes never, my cursor freezes up and on IE11 I get a lot of recover page notifications

I think your existing hardware is more than sufficient for what you're trying to do and that your problems are OS/software related. The pool game looks to be a browser game - not anything requiring new hardware.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Think of your computer as a workbench. Every time you do something, you take a bunch of materials and tools out and work on your project a bit. When you start your next project, you use the materials and tools already on your workbench, take a few more things you need off the shelf, maybe put some things back. Over time, your work bench gets cluttered up with the random bits and pieces of leftover projects. At some point, you start a project, and midway through you have to stop your project because the fucking clamp you needed is holding another project together.

Computers are the same way.

You can try to cleanup the workbench by moving some stuff off of it, and trying to clean up the bits and pieces without disturbing the projects you are working on. This would be backing up your data and running programs like CCleaner to get rid of the bits and pieces.

You can try to add a second workbench to give yourself more space to work, but the first workbench is still going to suck.

You can try to buy a larger workbench to replace the first and move everything over, but it's still going to be just as disorganized.

Or you can just dump everything in the trash and start over with brand new tools and a fresh workbench. This would be reformatting your hard drive and reinstalling the OS and programs. This can be done automatically using the recovery partition in your computer if it has one, the installation media that came with your computer, or with the software key stored within your computer or on a sticker somewhere and some fresh installation media that you've downloaded and put on a USB or CD yourself.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post