SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best way to heat Mountain House type emergency foods
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to heat Mountain House type emergency foods Login/Join 
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
You just have to boil the designated amount of water. We have a jet boil and a biostove which uses sticks and has a tiny fan and generator to charge phones.

You could use a hot engine or a pot on your fireplace or your grill....

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Jetboil, you'll be glad you did.

https://www.jetboil.com/

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the suggestions folks...Ive gone to all the links provided.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Jet-boil fan. I have one in my pack, makes great coffee too!

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Yep, that JetBoil single burner stove looks pretty nice

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Yep, that JetBoil single burner stove looks pretty nice

I LOVE mine, so much so that it's my go-to gift for people that like outdoorsey activities. The igniter button broke on mine which surprised me, everyone else however has had zero issues with theirs.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Love my Jetboil.

I also made a cozy out of some metallic insulation material and tape. I went to the dollar store and just cut up a disposable insulated grocery bag. Keeps the food hotter as you wait for it to rehydrate and makes it more comfortable to hold.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Jetboil stove.
The basic Jetboil is just a water boiler, which it does extremely well.

I have the Jetboil Minimo which has an enhanced regulator that allows you to simmer stuff or to cook pretty much anything on it. With the pot adapter, you can cook on it using any pan. It also has a built in ignitor.

I have a MSR Pocket Rocket too but the Jetboil is just flat out fast when boiling water. I used to use an MSR Whisperlite but it is a pain to carry, assemble and light. Once, when the hose seals leaked on the Whisperlite, it set the picnic table on fire. I stopped using it after that.

My Minimo will boil 1 liter of water (33.8 oz) in about 2 minutes. You can get 60 minutes of boil time with one 100 gram canister. I use the 230 gram canisters, that I buy at Walmart for $5 each. I think you have to add about 6 oz. of water per Mountain House pouch, so you can get a lot of people fed with one canister.

There are some Jetboil imitators available online but I don't know where you will get parts if anything breaks. When I damaged my Jetboil burner, they had it repaired and returned to me in about a week and a half. The cost was $20 to refurb my burner.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Any link for that $50 rebate?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Mountain House rebate:

https://www.mountainhouse.com/...DayKitRebateForm.pdf

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
Originally posted by springnr:
A brick or cinder block rocket stove will boil water for dehydrated food.

Rocket stoves are cool. If you want something portable you can get something like a Kelly Kettle, which is like a rocket stove tea kettle.

They'll run on twigs and pine cones and the like.

4 - 5 years ago I stared at the Kelly Kettle and Emberlit trying to decide. In the end I managed to lay down until the feeling passed. Well maybe not, the Emberlit still taunts occasionally...
"I don't need much room"
"Next to the spare tire looks made for me"
etc

I do own a Jetboil for no chit, get er done now.

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I boil the correct amount of water.

Using a butane canister single burner "hot plate" daily, I've long since been measuring my water. I've two of these stoves. Next will be one which will burn alcohol, like 190 proof grain or denatured.

A two burner commercial range with a 30# LP tank is in a locked roll-up cabinet out back. Handy for smoky cooking. The big East Coast Power Grid Failure is a matter of time ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Kelly Kettle for my family.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post