SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When did wind chill start becoming a factor?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
When did wind chill start becoming a factor? Login/Join 
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I worked on the North Slope for a number of years, when it gets down to -60 and the wind starts up, metal starts to change properties and the people working aren't in the best of shape.

We used to get reports on conditions each day,Fairweather medical put them up. I saved one of the most memorable. Smile

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 168 | Location: Idaho | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I've been to Texas (Dallas) once, in January, and I was uncomfortably warm. I have NO desire to visit in July. Wink

I could say the same thing about Portland during the 9 months of rain in the year. Razz

It is an acquired taste, in the south we pay for mild winters by having hot summers.

-------
Mr. Doom and Gloom
If you are having gun problems I feel bad for you son,
I got ninety nine problems but a jam ain't one.

Posts: 12901 | Location: KITD/FOHS | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I've been to Texas (Dallas) once, in January, and I was uncomfortably warm. I have NO desire to visit in July. Wink

I could say the same thing about Portland during the 9 months of rain in the year. Razz

It is an acquired taste, in the south we pay for mild winters by having hot summers.

Yeah, "hot" and "cold" are very subjective things. I grew up in northern Montana and to me anything above about 70 is "hot". When it gets to 85 I pretty much just shut down and don't go outside. I hate August. "Cold" is anything below about 30 to me, and "really cold" starts at about 10; to most of my friends who grew up around here "cold" means anything below about 55.

Posts: 3033 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: February 12, 2007Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45ROCK:

That's not near as brutal as will be seen by folks further north, but its pretty bad for us.

The point were cold endangers life and limb, it is brutal.

So says a man lying under a down comforter with.... 1, 2, 3 cats.

====Nice is overrated====

Posts: 17062 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Wind chill calculations have changed a couple times. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ddc/?n=windchill

Personally just give me the temperature and I'll adjust because I can see and feel the results of wind. Now when people say "it's supposed to be 15 degrees tomorrow for a high", I have to ask is that temperature or windchill? Often they don't know because they just recall hearing it somewhere on the radio or whatever.
If it's 10 degrees outside one should know it'll feel a lot colder up on a mountain with 40 mph gusts than working in the pine grove in the valley. Motorcycle riders certainly know wind chill well and must factor in a third variable "wet" (evaporation factor) as well.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 3210 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's meaningful info… or it was. But it's been absorbed and dumbed down into or society with "..it feels like.."

Instead of saying "It's 20 degrees, but with a high wind chill factor making it much more dangerous."

Instead we get "it's 20, but it feels like 10." Roll Eyes (WTF does that mean?)

Posts: 9953 | Location: born and bred in the briar patch | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
I don't get the hate for wind chil factor or heat index. The actual temperature means very little, especially if your working outside. It's going to be 0 here tomorrow. I could deal with that, but -20 with the wind chill, I'm not going outside any more than is absolutely necessary. It's just like heat index, working non stop in 95 degree weather is not a big deal in the southwest, but here, even at 85 degrees, you might have to plan for a lot more breaks to avoid heat stroke due to the high heat index.

Posts: 4050 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I agree that wind chill is relevant. I guess I'm more annoyed during the summer reporting when weathermen give a heat index, which is a subjective, unmeasurable number. Wind chill, for sure, can be measured and certainly good to know if you're going to be outside.

Wind chill is not a measurable number. It's just as subjective as heat index. By definition, it's the supposed temperature a person feels factoring the air temperature and wind speed, which are measurable. The formula has changed, and the wind chills reported today are warmer than what they used to be.

Posts: 451 | Registered: November 05, 2012Report This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead we get "it's 20, but it feels like 10." (WTF does that mean?)

The point is to give people an idea of how they should dress and what they should expect.

20 with a windchill of 10 is much different than 20 with a windchill of -10.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 20000 | Location: 8419 ft in Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
The point is to give people an idea of how they should dress and what they should expect.

How do they know what to expect? They don't know what anything is. It's 30, but they say it feels like 15. But when it's 15 they hear it feels like 6.

I'm all for wind chill warning, but the "feels like" is bullshit.

Posts: 9953 | Location: born and bred in the briar patch | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:

How do they know what to expect? They don't know what anything is. It's 30, but they say it feels like 15. But when it's 15 they hear it feels like 6.

I'm all for wind chill warning, but the "feels like" is bullshit.

As long as they emphasize that it is the wind, I see no issues.

What I would wear for 20 degrees and no wind is different from what I would wear for 30 degree with a 10 degree windchill. Namely a windproof layer vs more insulating clothing.

-------
Mr. Doom and Gloom
If you are having gun problems I feel bad for you son,
I got ninety nine problems but a jam ain't one.

Posts: 12901 | Location: KITD/FOHS | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Sensationalize, Hell. It has a direct effect on how fast exposed flesh starts to freeze. Spend a decade's worth of winters living in the Canadian Shield and you'll learn to pay real close attention to the wind chill factor.

Wind chill is vital, if you are calving, lambing or your mares are with foal you will learn about wind chill real quick. MG

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
I agree that wind chill is relevant. I guess I'm more annoyed during the summer reporting when weathermen give a heat index, which is a subjective, unmeasurable number. Wind chill, for sure, can be measured and certainly good to know if you're going to be outside.

Wind chill is not a measurable number. It's just as subjective as heat index. By definition, it's the supposed temperature a person feels factoring the air temperature and wind speed, which are measurable. The formula has changed, and the wind chills reported today are warmer than what they used to be.

Bull. I can put a thermometer outside and it will measure much colder with a strong wind blasting up against it. The same thermometer in the heat will measure the air temp regardless off the humidity.

"Collectivism is intolerable."
~M. Levin

If you can't do something smart, do something right.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Out of Jersey, Into Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bull. I can put a thermometer outside and it will measure much colder with a strong wind blasting up against it. The same thermometer in the heat will measure the air temp regardless off the humidity.

That is not true. Your thermometer, an inanimate object, can't feel the wind at all. Wind chill is all about the perceived temperature by a living being.

By your theory, how is the air temperature measured?

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is not true. Your thermometer, an inanimate object, can't feel the wind at all. Wind chill is all about the perceived temperature by a living being.

By your theory, how is the air temperature measured?

Y'all are right. I was talking out of my ass. My bad.

~M. Levin

Posts: 4881 | Location: Out of Jersey, Into Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you still hate the reporting of wind chill and heat index?

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Do you still hate the reporting of wind chill and heat index?

Yes, fucking hate it. In fact, I hate the reporting of wind chill even more now. Wink

~M. Levin

Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
The wind chill factor (what I used to think was the "windshield factor" when I was a kid) is more than just perception; it has to do with the transfer of heat from the body by convection (e.g., the moving air). I think the science is that the warmth transfers faster, the faster the wind (there are probably other factors, like altitude and relative humidity, but in general, moving air transfers heat faster than still air, because more molecules come in contact... the same idea is behind the fan in front of the radiator...).

When did the windshield factor become important? When the news media morality overtook the weather reports, and they went from meteorologists to salesmen/saleswomen intent on hyping the weather.