SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nearly A Third Of America’s College Students Will Use Loans For Spring Break Trips This Year
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nearly A Third Of America’s College Students Will Use Loans For Spring Break Trips This Year Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
They will be the same ones that figure out suddenly when they are in their late 50s that they don't have near enough, if anything, saved up for retirement.

Posts: 9741 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
sorry for partying

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Former neighbor in Tucson was going to a "strip mall College". Got several student loans. Last was used to pay for a ()() job.
No, I never got to see 'em.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Only a third? I bet it's closer to 50%+.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Loan money used to cover living expenses being used to fund a trip? The horror! What's the difference between using loan money to buy beer on a Saturday night during the spring term vs buying beer on a Wednesday on a beach during spring break? Click bait bullshit.

The difference is that student loan money is for the goal, with a promise, to improve your value in society. Too many ignore the goal, violate the promise, don't gain any marketable skills, then they cry foul and expect the responsible taxpayers to pay for their partying.

Sidenote. At a college in Silicon Valley, one of the Pres' hand picked students commented during the opening day seminar, along the lines of "it is more important to get and use political clout in college than it is to get and use marketable skills".

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in college my spring and summer breaks were spent working at least one job to help pay for food and stuff for the next quarter.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work with a young lady that told me that she and her husband lived off of their tuition money and have no intention of paying it back . She said the government won't come after them for it anyway .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Not to too my own horn...

I never took a semester off (including summers) and I never went on spring break. I also worked while going to school and finished a 5 year degree in 4 years, and that includes spending the first year taking a variety of classes as I was undecided...

I was also dead broke, completely on my own, and failure wasn't an option. I did take out some students loans when needed, and have paid all of my loans back in full.

Kids these days think they are entitled to spring break, to whole foods, to designer clothes, a car, an iphone.... It's owed to them, so using student loans to provide these "necessities" is not unreasonable.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing some members don't see a problem with this.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gone are the days of working a part time job and saving up for the spring break vacation. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe with the OLD previous administration, but there is a NEW Sheriff in town !!! God Bless Smile

quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I work with a young lady that told me that she and her husband lived off of their tuition money and have no intention of paying it back . She said the government won't come after them for it anyway .

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took out loans (paid back early), but never went on Spring Break. Public drunkenness and mass spreading of STDs just didn't appeal to me.

I think it is foolish to add to your debt with a vacation, but so is a private school compared to state. Either way, I don't really care how they spend it as long as they aren't planning on "feeling the Bern" to get out of it.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Simple solution - The loan doesn't go to the student, it goes into escrow.

Funds are disbursed only for approved expenses: Tuition, books/lab fees, dorm/rent expenses and other legitimate expenses of which I'm not aware.

Any expenditure not on the pre-approved list has to justified and approved. A new I-Phone every year and any travel not directly related to education is a no go.

Just like the rest of us...you want to party and buy toys, get a fucking job.

Of course, I'm a prick and wouldn't lend them a dime toward any degree that didn't put them on a job track. Gender-fluid underwater basketweaving with a minor in Social Justice? Go fish.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:...I think it is foolish to add to your debt with a vacation....I don't really care how they spend it as long as they aren't planning on "feeling the Bern" to get out of it.

Good point.
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:....sorry for partying.

It's not the partying, it's expecting someone else to pay for your partying (given the portion of student loans that aren't repaid).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:....Of course, I'm a prick and wouldn't lend them a dime toward any degree that didn't put them on a job track. Gender-fluid underwater basketweaving with a minor in Social Justice? Go fish.

I have posted before, a college pres' hand picked student commented at the school year's opening symposium "it's more important for a college student to get and use political power than it is to get and use marketable skills".

The main theme in the public colleges around here is "social justice, equity, diversity, tolerance, inclusion"; which are defacto synonyms for anti-traditional America.