SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nearly A Third Of America’s College Students Will Use Loans For Spring Break Trips This Year
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nearly A Third Of America’s College Students Will Use Loans For Spring Break Trips This Year Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Why does this not surprise me Roll Eyes

Just over 30 percent of America’s college students with student loan debt admit that they plan to fritter away part of their federally-subsidized loan funds to pay for sun-and-beer-soaked spring break trips this year.

LendEDU, a student loan marketplace website, documented this startling fact in a nationwide survey of 500 students currently attending America’s colleges and universities.

The survey shows that 30.6 percent of debt-laden students say they are using student loan funds to pay for airfare and hotels, and to generally party hard on a super-fun vacation during their post-mid-term breaks.

Data from Orbitz obtained by LendEDU shows that 55 percent of America’s college students travel to some exciting destination for spring break. That 55 percent equates to 11,275,000 students taking vacations at some point.

LendEDU estimates that nearly 2.4 million cash-strapped students enrolled in U.S. colleges and universities will spend student loan money on thrilling adventures this year.

“Considering the severity of the student loan crisis in the United States right now, this number is severely disappointing,” LendEDU said in a statement sent to The Daily Caller.

Daytona Beach, South Padre Island, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Las Vegas are among the most popular spring break destinations among America’s college students, according to Travel Channel.

The LendEDU poll also shows that 23.8 percent of America’s college students admit to using student loan funds to buy beer and liquor.

Just under 7 percent are willing to say they use their student loans to buy drugs.

And 5.6 percent say they gamble or bet on sporting events with student loan funds.

Last week, LendEDU released data from the same 500-student survey showing that nearly half of all America’s college students have deluded themselves into believing that the federal government will forgive their student loans in spite of the fact that the federal government forgives only a very low percentage of student loans.

In reality, only about 10 percent of all college graduates will ever see any portion of their student loans forgiven under current loan forgiveness law.

Nearly 70 percent of all college students in the United States take on student loan debt.

Student loan debt continues to rise annually in the United States. Some 44 million Americans hold a grand total of $1.31 trillion in student loan debt, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York reported earlier this month. (America’s Total Student Loan Debt Is Hilariously Staggering)

To put this $1.31 trillion figure in perspective: The enormity of the U.S. student loan mess is almost as big as the entire economy of Russia, where the nominal gross-domestic product is $1.33 trillion annually.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03...eak-trips-this-year/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
You can't fix stupid.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Kids have been doing this for 40 years (or more).

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I remember freshman year taking spring break. I drove to Myrtle Beach with 2 friends in my 89 Civic hatch. We couldn't afford a hotel room so we slept in the car in the K-Mart parking lot. I paid off all of my student loans in 6 years.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7069 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Make colleges co-sign student loans.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I'd consider it money well spent. They will likely get more actual value out of the connections they make partying than the degree they are earning.

Don't get me wrong. I learned a whole lot in college, much of it quite technical. The important stuff I learned could have all been compressed into three or four semesters though, with the rest of the time I spent being devoted to filler courses like basketball, bowling, and a two semesters of American History that where all the lessons were written from the "losing" side's perspective.

The real value of my degree is the friendships I made getting it. Hopefully I won't need to make a career change any time soon, but if I do I have a number of people I know I can call who will find something for me. You can learn damn near anything by yourself out of a book without taking a class, but the connections that will really help you advance your life and career are priceless.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

You may be on to something. I can hear the but, but, buts already. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

You may be on to something. I can hear the but, but, buts already. Smile

It would effectively do what I've said we should do. Only use government funds (since they are the primary source of student loans now) to finance degrees that have a high chance of the student finding employment in their field at a salary level that can pay for the debt financed.

That means if their isn't a large demand for degrees like Woman Studies, or Classical Greek Literature they must pay for the degree out of pocket with no loans.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Nothing new. 25 years ago I knew a grad student who took out the maximum loans, but since she was teachers assistants, the school comp her tuition. And she flew to different parts of the world to explore on those loans.

As a side joke, I wonder how many Bern-outs figured out if college was free, they would lose this perk and have to work to have the money to pay for their spring break trips.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
You have to list what types of loans allow this. We never have received the loans ourselves, they went directly to the college. Some students do get a Pela grant, which is not a loan but money used for expenses. I don't buy into 1/3 of College students use their loans for Spring Break. Statistics can be made to read however you want them to read.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leavemebe:
You can't fix stupid.

But you can finance it!

Making schools co-sign? Won't do a thing. Loans have been guaranteed to them since the government took over the program, it's in their interest for the amounts to be as high as possible. And a lot of it is a mechanism for plowing money right back into the progressive campaign engine

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So not only do they want someone else to pay for their "education" they want someone else to pay for their vacation.

What a deal for the taxpayer!!!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
You have to list what types of loans allow this. We never have received the loans ourselves, they went directly to the college. Some students do get a Pela grant, which is not a loan but money used for expenses. I don't buy into 1/3 of College students use their loans for Spring Break. Statistics can be made to read however you want them to read.

I remember the school getting the first check, and I would get the left over to cover books and other expenses through the semester. I went to a private law school. I can see the students at the State run law school up the street getting a bigger 'refund' from the school if they took out the same amount. And my friend above taught a 100 level class and helped keep the lab open while earning her masters degree. She had almost no tuition and her student loan check she used to fly around the world.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first semester I taught at a community college, I was in for a shock. The first day of one of the classes I taught I had 38 people show up for class the first day. I was in shock. The class was a PLC advanced class. Most of the time there is a lot of individual help needed by the students and I wondered how I would accomplish that. I gave a 5 page test the first day to see where everybody was at in their understanding of PLCs. One guy signed into class and then left immediately. A few who had signed in, glanced over the test and told me they could not answer one question on the test. They left. By the second class, I only had like 15 people and 2 of those dropped.
It seems that there are "students" who borrow the college money and then do not go to school and live and party off the money until they can no longer get anymore loans. One guy who was in that very class explained how his daughter had racked up 70k in student loans and was still a Freshman in college. This was all according to him without his knowledge of what was going on.
Most of the guys in the class were young and working their way thru college and told me they know the first day of a class which people who will not be back and that it was rampant in schools.
Then yet we have politicians who want to forgive student loan debt and make the taxpayers take the hit?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
(I)t's in their interest for the amounts to be as high as possible.

Of course it is! That should be one of the most obvious things about any guaranteed loan program: The more money students have available to spend on tuition, the more schools can charge, and that’s what they do. There is no incentive to schools for loans to be restricted, and the last thing they’re concerned about is how the students will ultimately pay them off.

Henry Hazlitt warned of the inevitable consequences of government-subsidized loads 70 years ago in his book Economics in One Lesson, and his predictions have been realized to a capital T.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
What's the problem? Borrow money for an education, spend a good chunk of the borrowed money to party, get a degree, but can't get a job (or continue to party). Then cry some sort of wrongdoing by society, and let the taxpayer pay your bill. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
(I)t's in their interest for the amounts to be as high as possible.

Of course it is! That should be one of the most obvious things about any guaranteed loan program: The more money students have available to spend on tuition, the more schools can charge, and that’s what they do. There is no incentive to schools for loans to be restricted, and the last thing they’re concerned about is how the students will ultimately pay them off.

Henry Hazlitt warned of the inevitable consequences of government-subsidized loads 70 years ago in his book Economics in One Lesson, and his predictions have been realized to a capital T.

I believe I have seen stats showing a strong correlation between the growing amount of student loan money available and growing amount of tuition.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
We all benefit from Spring Break. Big Grin

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
It's because of student loans I didn't have to work while I was at school. I racked up $18,000 before I graduated. I was able to pay it off in about 5 years.

Posts: 11157 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loan money used to cover living expenses being used to fund a trip? The horror! What's the difference between using loan money to buy beer on a Saturday night during the spring term vs buying beer on a Wednesday on a beach during spring break? Click bait bullshit.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post