SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My other PC hates me today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My other PC hates me today Login/Join 
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted
For the life of me, I cannot get it to recognize the ethernet connection. Tried everything I can find on line. Plug another computer to the same line, connects fine. No matter what I do, this thing just sends me the "Jersey salute".

Sorry, had to vent. And have another martini.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Maybe hardware failure with the ethernet port?

Have you eliminated the possibility of a bad cable?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
We all have our bad days don't give up never give up.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Eliminated damn near everything. Plug an old laptop into the same cable, works fine. Take that PC to another room with a different port, nada. Plug in old laptop, works fine. Removed and updated the Ethernet drivers. Nada.

The gods of tech hate me today.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Winsocks reset?

Another idea: other day had a computer that grew a proxy setting out of thin air.

Also, check that lan settings box is set to auto detect.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Did the Winsock reset, and the DNS flush. Still no dice.

posted Hide Post
Bad network card? About $10 or $15 for a new one, worth a try?

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Checked if connections is set to audodetect?

0-0

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree it sounds like the NIC is shot. Might try another adapter as suggested or connecting directly to another machine via a crossover cable.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Is this a W10 machine? Are you sure it has not turned your Private Network into a Public one?

Also, have you tried pinging any website from the commnd box?

0-0

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:

Take that PC to another room with a different port, nada.
When I asked about the possibility of hardware failure of ethernet port, I meant the port on the PC. I should have been more specific.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
I had already tried another adapter. Have one of those USB ethernet adapters. Same results.

It would hiccup from time to time and lose connect. Been doing that about once a week up until a week ago. Then one day it did 5 times in one day. I'd go reboot the switch for the network and it would come back. But a few days ago it did so 5 times in one day. So I replaced the switch (Netgear Gigabit switch) with a new one. Started up and ran all day. That afternoon it failed for good. Now I can go reboot the switch and it will connect, but only for a few minutes and then it drops off again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: XinTX,

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
What kind of antivirus/ firewall software do you use? Disable/uninstall retry?

Does your computer get an IP address but will not not get on internet or will it also not get a new IP?

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of antivirus/ firewall software do you use? Disable/uninstall retry?

None. It's a PC I only use for gaming and a little browsing. Don't even have email on it.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Can you be more specific on the error issue at hand?

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had already tried another adapter. Have one of those USB ethernet adapters. Same results.
That won't necessarily work if you haven't used the adapter before and the device drivers don't install. It's kind of a catch-22, don't have a connection to install the drivers to get a connection. Wink

Have you looked at Device Manager to see if the adapter is operating?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Do you at least get blinky lights at the connector? Or is it dark?

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Have you tried going to the device manager and uninstalling all Nics?

Uninstall, Refresh (find new hardware)
Uninstall again if it finds the drivers from the library and keep uninstalling and refreshing until it runs out of stored drivers to use.

Then, provide drivers from another source.

Report.

Another tip. When trying to connect to your network while having issues, DISABLE all other NICs. Once you restablished the faulty NIC connection and are happy THEN enable other NICs back.

0-0

Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this a W10 machine? Are you sure it has not turned your Private Network into a Public one?

Noticed now on both machines the network is showing as a Public network. Need to figure how to revert that. Though after wrestling with it for two days I'm not eager to go poking around with settings right now.

But now it's working again. Original setup before I started having problems was from the modem in our study (that this PC is connected to) into a switch, from there to a router in my room that the other PC connected to. I thought the issue was with the switch, so I swapped it out for a new one. It ran fine for a day before I lost internet at the end. So I swapped out the router so now the 'network' was router - switch - switch - PC. Never could get it to work. Even eliminated one of the switches, still no dice. So yesterday on a lark I drug out the old router so now it was modem - router - switch - PC. Ran all yesterday afternoon just fine. Though for the life of me I don't understand why. The switches I was using are both NetGear unmanaged switches.