SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's better than MacCallan 12?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's better than MacCallan 12? Login/Join 
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted
I've become very smitten with us. I can't believe How smooth it is.

For just us add some Redbreast 15 that was very very good, but followed it up with a little MacCallan 12 which confirmed that it is still my favorite.

What else does the hive recommend that might tap the MacCallan 12 for scotch or other whiskey for under $100 per bottle, preferably well under $100?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BRL,

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Better is a matter of personal taste, but when it comes to Speyside whiskey I'm quite fond of Cragganmore. My favorite "bargain" single malt is Highland Park, but it's a fair bit smokier and less sherried than what you may be looking for.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's better than McCallan 12?

Your first child?

Lagavulin 16 is good.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The McCallan 18

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Macallan 100..............or maybe not:

http://www.foxnews.com/food-dr...say-it-was-fake.html

"Wei, a Chinese tourist who was visiting Switzerland with his grandmother, had reportedly purchased a small taste of 1878 Macallan Scotch from a Swiss hotel for the whopping sum of more than $10,000 — only to find out the whiskey might’ve been fake after getting home from his trip..............."

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Lagavulin 16 is my favorite Scotch, but if you don't like "peaty," you won't like it.

If you're interested just in "smooth," then the older Scotches, or blends, are in order.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
McCallan 12 yr Double Cask Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2179 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Scotch, McCallan 12 is my go to.

But Bushmills 16 is by far my favorite whiskey right now. Ridiculous smooth. About $80 a bottle if you can find it.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Macallan 25 Wink

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I like bourbon a lot more than scotch but my favorite scotch is Dalwhinnie.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by southernmaninla:
McCallan 12 yr Double Cask Big Grin

Tried this last week and it was good bit I much prefer the 12.

I don't mind, actually can enjoy, a peaty Scotch. Tried Dewars a couple of weeks ago since that was all that was available at the Legion. Was pleasantly surprised for a $26 bottle.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

What are your top bourbons?

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
Macallan 25 Wink

Under $100 bottle, not $100 dram Smile

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:

Wheesh... could go all night. Makers Mark Cask Strength, Stagg Jr, Elmer T Lee, Eagle Rare, Knob Creek Single Barrel. Check out the bourbon thread down in The Lair if you want to immerse yourself.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Great single malt scotch, under $100:

Balvenie Doublewood 12
Clynelish 14 (kind of hard to find)
Highland Park 12 or 15
Springbank 10
Dalwhinnie 15
The Arran 14 (also hard to find)

Some of the Islay malts like Lagavulin, Laphroig and Ardbeg are also very good, if you like the taste of peated whisky. It's an acquired taste!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
https://www.whisky.com/whisky-...nie-double-wood.html

I stick to the Red Breast myself ( my wife is the McCallan fan in the family), but the double wood did impress me.
Your mileage may vary....

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I love my Dalwhinnie 15. It's so smooth I could finish a bottle in one sitting I imagine.

The Glenlivet 18 is my favorite Scotch at the moment. I get it in France for around $50 per bottle.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Laphroig

Had a chance to sample this at my favorite liquor store (44th & France Liquors) along with some others and while at the time I wasn't so much into the peaty Scotches, it was very good. Definitely a palate crusher with the peat. As my horizons expand I'm thinking to give these types a try again.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:

Bookers (careful with this one, its 127 proof)
Blantons
Eagle Rare
Four Roses Single Barrel

At least these are my favorites that are actually available without selling a kidney just to get on a waiting list.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
If you decide you like peat, Lagavullin is the king. Laphroig Quarter Cask is suprisingly good as well.

My personal favorite is Talisker. It's got a good bit of pepper on the palate, and is fairly smokey, but doesn't have the heavy iodine peat flavor. It used to be fairly reasonably priced as well, but it's been creeping up the last few years.