SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's better than MacCallan 12?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's better than MacCallan 12? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For under a hundo I like Laphroaig, Ardbeg Uigedail, and Lagavulin 16. Talisker and Soringbank are nice too.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Here's another great scotch, it's a blend of single malts. Monkey Shoulder - sells for around $30 to $35 a bottle. I'm drinking a dram of it now Smile

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not inexpensive, but my favorite is 21-year-old Glenfarclas. Last time I bought it it was about $100/bottle.

I also prefer bourbon, with my favorite being Blanton's. When I can't afford that or it's not available, I get Maker's Mark.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I heve not had McAllen for a long time. So these may not be 'better'. But the suggestions should not be far off. I assume that you do not want a liquor that punches its way out of your mouth.

1. Redbreast Lustau. Eff'ing delicious!!! Buy it now delicious!! An award winner delicious!
2. Suntory Hibiki. Light but not wimpy. A nice vanilla-tannin note. Elegant bottle.
3. Jameson's Caskmate Stout. A nice Oreo cookie crust aftertaste. Not as wimpy as regular Jameson's.
4 Dewar 12 Yr. Sweet but not cloying nor candy-like. Similar to no. 3. Not expensive. Clean finish.
5. Kentucky Vintage bourbon. A Willett bottling.
6. Antique Weller. It goes without saying.
7. Bell Meade Sherry Cask bourbon. I have not tried it but if you like a sherried whisky...

Good luck, these suggestions assume that you like dram that you don't need to work about.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mr kablammo,

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I like Macallan 12, which is matured in sherry casks.

If it is the sherry influence you like, you would probably also like Aberlour 12, and especially Aberlour A'bunadh. Also look at Balvenie 12. Glenmorangie Lasanta is also very, very good.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I like bourbon a lot more than scotch but my favorite scotch is Dalwhinnie.

this,

however my favorite scotch is Caol Ila

bowmore 12 yr is not bad

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Great single malt scotch, under $100:

Balvenie Doublewood 12
Clynelish 14 (kind of hard to find)
Highland Park 12 or 15
Springbank 10
Dalwhinnie 15
The Arran 14 (also hard to find)

Some of the Islay malts like Lagavulin, Laphroig and Ardbeg are also very good, if you like the taste of peated whisky. It's an acquired taste!

friend suggested I try balvenie double wood

it was delicious

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Highland park is good.

You can get macallan 15 for just under 100.

I miss the days of $80 18 and $325 25 year.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
A Speyside "twin" from halfway around the world would be the Yamazaki 12.

Unbelievably smooth.

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Here's another great scotch, it's a blend of single malts. Monkey Shoulder - sells for around $30 to $35 a bottle. I'm drinking a dram of it now Smile

Picked up a bottle of this for $28 on sale. Figured it was worth a shot Wink

Same store had Dalwhinnie 15 on sale for $48.99 so I grabbed one of those. Right next to it was Macallan 12 Sherry cask for $49.99. Is already grabbed the previous two and didn't want to drop $125 + on booze so I left that. After leaving it was all I could think about so after we went to dinner I went back and grabbed one. I was thinking I should grab a few for that price but even this one was pushing it. I told the lady at the counter I figured I better come back before they figured out the mistake they were making. When she rang it it it rang at full price ($58.99, still not too bad) but they corrected it for me. I told her I told you so! I should buy a case at that price!

It got me thinking wondering if they overcharged me on the earlier purchases. Went back to the truck and looked and yep, they charged me $33.99 for the Monkey Shoulder. Brought it back in and the refunded me the difference. Then I noticed they'd taken the sale sign down on the Macallan Frown At least I got one while the gettin was good.

Anxious to get home and crack open the Delwhinnie 15.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Quite a whirl. I'm sipping Knob Creek Rye for $23. Its chasing thai Drunken Noodles. Enjoy the prize.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Give the Dalmore 12 a try as well. Pretty darn good IMO

Was at a corporate event a few moths back at a 5 star resort. As I was about to order my drink during an event, the main guy putting it on from the company comes up next to me and asks what want. Said I was gonna order a scotch, figuring a nice 12 year maybe 18, open bar after all. Guy orders me a double Macallan 25 and tells them to be sure to bring me another when I'm done.

Heaven in a glass, mate. Heaven in a glass.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Talisker 10. Several years ago it was a good $10 cheaper than the MacCallan, but the price has equalized recently. The market adjusts! I also recommend Glenmorangie "The Quinta Ruban" 12 Year Old Port Cask and the Glenmorangie La Santa.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Oban 14

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I'm a fan of Oban 14

That's funny. I just popped back in here to recommend this. I'm sipping on it right now in fact. It's excellent. It reminds me of my Dalwhinnie.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
I've become very smitten with us. I can't believe How smooth it is.

For just us add some Redbreast 15 that was very very good, but followed it up with a little MacCallan 12 which confirmed that it is still my favorite.

What else does the hive recommend that might tap the MacCallan 12 for scotch or other whiskey for under $100 per bottle, preferably well under $100?

Not 100% certain of the current price but I think Macallan 15 year is around $90 and is better than the 12 year.

Macallan 25 year is probably the best I have ever had but it was costly when my wife bought me a bottle in 2003 and last I checked it was going for around $1600 at one of the local large liquor outlets.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
I don't like peaty...

Glenlivet Nadurra
It is a single malt.

Proof varies but is in the 105 to 111 range depending on the batch.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
Macallan 25 Wink

Under $100 bottle, not $100 dram Smile

Was going to say, at $100/bottle, I'd take a couple cases. For medicinal purposes only, of course. Wink

I got a bottle of that as a gift some time ago when the cost was merely outrageous. Now, of course, it's astronomical.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
bowmore 12 yr is not bad

For something close to Macallen, the Bowmore 15yr would be closer. It's an Islay that's been aged in Sherry casks and is the only Islay scotch I will drink.

Oban 14 is fantastic, but a local shop has lot of Oban Little Bay for $49.

Glenmorangie Lasanta 12yr is similar to Macallan and $5-10 cheaper.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Had a healthy pour of the Dalwhinnie 15 last night (a double too ease my old man knee pain). While it has not taken the throne for my favorite in the cupboard, it's easily the most complex I've tried so far. I've never experienced that in a whisky. While I'm no expert in describing the elements, it started with a sweeter honey/vanilla, then to some type of spice and out of nowhere it has a looonngg finish of smiley peat that rolls out in your mouth like rolling out a red carpet. The peat is just strong enough to hang with you but not as crushing as a Laphroaig.

I'm anxious to share this with my friends to get their opinion.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post