SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got One! -- Mazda shifted 143 more 30th Anniversary Miatas to the US
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got One! -- Mazda shifted 143 more 30th Anniversary Miatas to the US Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
I confess -- Since the summer of 1989, I’ve really wanted a Miata. The moment I first heard and then saw, an NA first year production rumbling down the main drag in VA Beach. A tuned exhaust note in those days was unheard of, so far as I am aware... In a day not that far at all from the K-Car, this car truly stood out. It emitted sports-car-fun in every sense. I never did get one, though I was close many times. I was always in a position where it would be my only car,.. and in Western PA, that’s not easily argued to be the best move.

But now, I’m fortunate to be in a position where a Miata could be a summer indulgence. Still, I'd held strong against the siren call until the moment I read the announcement about the 30th Anniversary Limited Edition. I immediately tried to register for the initial US allotment of 500 (of 3,000 total production world-wide). I missed it by just a bit, but I signed up for the wait list. They'd sold out of the first 500 in 4 hours. Just a few weeks ago, Mazda announced a shift of 143 more 30AEs from the original 3,000 to the US market. I got the email just Tuesday and with only 24 hours to decide, I chose the impetuous route, and I locked mine in! In that action, I could choose the traditional soft top or their new RF fastback with an automatic retractable top. As sweet as that was, I chose the soft top…. and a manual transmission, of course!

The 30th's hallmark is the special orange color, but it also comes with Bilstein shocks, Brembo brakes, Ricaro racing seats, an LSD, and special Rays forged alloy wheels. And a bunch of infotainment nonsense. 30 years later, the car is in the neighborhood of twice as powerful, still naturally aspirated, still comes with a manual transmission option, and is only 200 pounds heavier. Amazing!

I’m sure it will deliver the day the snows start and the salt truck goes by, but…. Waiting hath begun.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats! An ND was top of my list before life pushed me into a truck.

Also, you picked the right combo with the soft top & MT.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh hell yeah!

What’s the wait time?

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I owned a 1999 Miata base (not the 10AE) and traded it for a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata. These were great little cars for summer fun in Montana. I sold the last one to move into a Honda S2000.

Since the S is no longer made, my next ragtop may be another Miata - when the time comes. Maybe a 40AE.

Enjoy the wind in your hair.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always had a soft spot for the Mazda Miata. I have come close to buying one a couple of times, but it's not a practical everyday car.

I dated a girl that had one, a first generation. It was modified a little. Man that thing was fun to drive. Not crazy fast, but it sure handled like it was on rails!

Enjoy a great sports car. It's awesome that you are able to get an anniversary addition.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have owned 3 BMWs, 2 Porsche 911s(have one currently) a muscle car or three a muscle truck or two, Honda S2000 etc. etc. so you might think I may have a snide comment to make about your Miata.

Well truth be told I am a car guy and have owned a Miata and anybody who thinks they are a car guy and makes snide comments about a Miata is surely no car guy as they are damn near one of the most fun drives you will ever have. They are FANTASTIC cars. Enjoy it in good health and rev her out, they are meant to be played with.

That ND is gorgeous. Congrats and enjoy.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Oh hell yeah!
What’s the wait time?

It will seem like forever. I'm assuming 10 - 12 weeks. Which is fall.

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Beautiful car, nice get!

And like cslinger says: guys who make comments to the contrary don't know squat about sports cars and probably have never set tire on a real track.

I tell them two things; A. Being able to drive a mild car to its full potential is worth much more than being able to mildly drive a car full of potential. And B. There is little in life as satisfying as the perfectly executed corner.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Fall is the BEST time for a vert’ Turn the heat on, drop the top and enjoy.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
There is little in life as satisfying as the perfectly executed corner.

Particularly if you're in 3rd gear and you lift off the gas and let the engine scrub the speed a bit as you enter, and once you're nicely planted in the corner, you lay into it with that locked up (no torque converter slop) feel.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Sunz out, top down. I pass a Mazda dealer every day. I really like the look of those cars. That one has all the good stuff on it. I’d suggest you start looking for a good cap. Smile

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Very nice, congrats!
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Oh hell yeah!
What’s the wait time?

It will seem like forever. I'm assuming 10 - 12 weeks. Which is fall.

They have a pizza tracker for your car? Cool.

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. I prefer hard to soft tops, but it's your car, not mine.

You are going to hear whispers of Zoom, Zoom as you drift off to sleep for the next three months.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/S8h10S_9jTI

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!

I have owned 5 miatas in the past, 3 94’s, 1 90, and a 96 with a turbo and 250whp. They are a blast in any configuration. I have a real bad itch to test drive a ND, but I know i probably would try to offer some half functional organs in trade to take the ND home.

Posts: 178 | Location: St. Petersburg FLorida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Mazel Tov! You will enjoy it.

Years ago, I thought I wanted one. Well, I actually did want one, and I'm still a bit disappointed, but I just could not squeeze my 6'3" frame with extra long legs into it.

A co-worker gave me a ride in his Miata to the VW service shop to pick up my car, and it was a struggle for me to get into the passenger seat of the little Miata. I am just too long for that car. My loss.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zoom-Zoom !!! God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Daaaaaang! Pretty sweet r0gue!! I had a loaded 1986 RX-7 GXL (non-turbo), of which I drove for almost 14 years until it literally died...180,000+ miles. Loved it, and I can only imagine I'd love the current Miatas...just not in the budget. Frown

Congrats!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That hard top. Fuck me if that isn't just about the best looking car out there.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post