SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got One! -- Mazda shifted 143 more 30th Anniversary Miatas to the US
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got One! -- Mazda shifted 143 more 30th Anniversary Miatas to the US Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
The miata at 158hp is woefully underpowered. The rf with 181hp puts it at or near the top of class for power-to-weight ratio. Not a bad little ride for under $30k!

Confused
The entire Miata line, regardless of trim uses the same 2.0 I4 here in the US.
Other markets get a less powerful 1.5 I4, but reviews say it's just as fun, with a bit less rush.

https://www.motortrend.com/car...t-review/amp/?espv=1

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
There's a big difference between straight line balls-to-the-wall acceleration and carving twisties exposed to the wind and sun.

I've had both over the years as exemplified here:

Forced to pick, I'd opt for the loads of fun two seater every time! Raw horsepower isn't the answer for everything. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:Forced to pick, I'd opt for the loads of fun two seater every time! Raw horsepower isn't the answer for everything. Smile

Cool S2000! You know, the new Miata gets a 7500 RPM redline. That's up there, right!?

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:Forced to pick, I'd opt for the loads of fun two seater every time! Raw horsepower isn't the answer for everything. Smile

Cool S2000! You know, the new Miata gets a 7500 RPM redline. That's up there, right!?

His looks like an AP1, so he's got 1500rpm on you. Cool

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by largebore1:
Said they aren't the best selling brand cars.

True, Honda Toyota and maybe even Nissan outsell them.
But, Mazda is rising in sales, especially in CUV/SUV sales.

There's been talk of a Mazda/Toyota collaboration on a larger sedan, using Mazda's RWD turbo I6 that's in development.

IMO, Mazda makes a much more 'driver focused' car, compared to the A-to-B appliances from the mainstream Japanese manufactureres.

Subaru used to be niche cars for weirdos. Now they're everywhere.
Mazdas are probably the most refined affordable cars available.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Mazdas are probably the most refined affordable cars available.

I would totally agree on this statement. I just sold a 2015 Mazda 3SGT that was the finest driving car I have ever owned (outside of my S2000)

I had 2 complaints that included the very noisy interior and the paint durability. After 50,000 miles I had rock chips everywhere. According to the Mazda forum, the company does not prime the cars and the paint in very thin. I used a bottle of Dr. Colorchip to fill the chips before I sold it.

My 1999 and 2005 Miatas didn’t exhibit this problem.

We drove a new CX5 and loved it. The road noise has been tamed but the paint complaints on the forums scared us away.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I think Mazda is shooting for competing with the likes of Acura, Lexus & Infiniti in the long run. Maybe hitting the space between the base & lux market in the end.

Their cars have definitely stepped up in quality over the last few years.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

His looks like an AP1, so he's got 1500rpm on you. Cool

Yup, mine's a '03 AP1 with a 9k rpm redline.
Bought it new for warm weather only. Only 35k on the clock now. Smile

And being redundant, should this one ever wear out I'd be looking hard at a new Miata as Honda only made the S2000 for 10 years with a total volume during that span of just 110k units worldwide. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:...should this one ever wear out ...

I'm going to guess that you'll never have to worry about a Honda wearing out at that level of mileage accumulation. That's a great color too! Love it!

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:...should this one ever wear out ...

I'm going to guess that you'll never have to worry about a Honda wearing out at that level of mileage accumulation. That's a great color too! Love it!

LOL Yeah at my age I'm not putting on much annual mileage anymore (and it's actually 36k not 35k on the clock). Big Grin
And as for the colors: Sebring Silver Metallic with red leather interior. I love it! Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I'm partial to Suzuka Blue with the two tone blue/black interior.
Not a fan of the smurf explosion blue of the earlier cars.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:I used a bottle of Dr. Colorchip to fill the chips before I sold it.
Mike

How did you like the Dr. Colorchip? My MB has a myriad of chips which I'd planed to get to for a long time. They sell a $70 kit that I'm assuming would allow me to knock them all out. Seems I'd heard some of the new tech kits are pretty great.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very nice, I'm partial to Suzuka Blue with the two tone blue/black interior.
Not a fan of the smurf explosion blue of the earlier cars.

The Sebring Silver with red interior hearkens back to that combination on the iconic Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing for me. Smile Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The Gullwing is my #1 grail car, so I see where you're coming from.
For me, an ideal Gullwing would be silver with the blue plaid cloth interior.

Last I looked, a 'rough' example was well about 500k, with pristine examples touching near 2M.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
About 1992, I think, Mazda offered a Miata in British racing green, with a tan soft top. That’s always been my favorite color combo.

Your Miata looks good too though r0gue.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I don't have an RF version coming.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:I used a bottle of Dr. Colorchip to fill the chips before I sold it.
Mike

How did you like the Dr. Colorchip? My MB has a myriad of chips which I'd planed to get to for a long time. They sell a $70 kit that I'm assuming would allow me to knock them all out. Seems I'd heard some of the new tech kits are pretty great.

My Mazda was metallic black and the Colorchip did a great job filling the hundreds of chips. Some took 2 or 3 applications to level out but I was very happy at the outcome. 2 days later I clayed and applied a polymer finish and the car looked as good as it did day 1.

I’m gonna order another kit for my 2006 New Formula Red Honda S2000 that has a dozen chips after 40k miles.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Any of you Miata guys heard talk of weak paint and the -- seemingly required -- application of paint protective film (PPF)? Everyone on the Miata forum is antsy about it. Some not driving their car until they have it. Costs thousands from what I can gather.

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any of you Miata guys heard talk of weak paint and the -- seemingly required -- application of paint protective film (PPF)? Everyone on the Miata forum is antsy about it. Some not driving their car until they have it. Costs thousands from what I can gather.

r0gue, if you do consider selling your w210 please contact me. (email in profile) I might be the right buyer.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak to current Mazda but I owned an NC and a last Gen Mazda 6 (the last one with a six cylinder option) and I never had any paint chipping far and away different from really any other cars I have owned. I have a few cars in memory that had really GREAT paint but nothing stands out as being particularly crappy Mazda’s included.

Again I cannot speak to current Mazda products.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post