SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got One! -- Mazda shifted 143 more 30th Anniversary Miatas to the US
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got One! -- Mazda shifted 143 more 30th Anniversary Miatas to the US Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by largebore1:
I can not figure out why anyone would want a Miata!!!! Under sized under powered car. Can't figure out why anyone would buy any Mazda not the most popular cars in the USA. At one point Mazda was considering no longer selling cars in the USA perhaps still are. Sales are not the greatest.

That

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can not figure out why anyone would want a Miata!!!! Under sized under powered car. Can't figure out why anyone would buy any Mazda not the most popular cars in the USA. At one point Mazda was considering no longer selling cars in the USA perhaps still are. Sales are not the greatest.

I have owned 5 Mazda’s (3 of them being Miata’s) and I have found them to be well built and reliable cars. I have watched Miata’s shame cars costing much more than they do on a regular basis during years of autox. They are not for everyone but they are absolutely for those that like them. Like riding a mc they take a little commitment but when the roads get curvy they are worth it.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of largebore1
posted Hide Post
Just an opinion and a little sarcasm guys. I drove my ex girl friends think it was a 92 model it was to small for me to be comfortable in I'm 6'4" and the car was under powered. She loved it. Never said they weren't reliable cars, never said they weren't fun to drive, never said Mazda owners don't love their cars. Said they aren't the best selling brand cars.

THERE'S NO EXHILARATION LIKE ACCELERATION

Posts: 41 | Location: South | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just an opinion and a little sarcasm guys. I drove my ex girl friends think it was a 92 model it was to small for me to be comfortable in I'm 6'4" and the car was under powered. She loved it. Never said they weren't reliable cars, never said they weren't fun to drive, never said Mazda owners don't love their cars. Said they aren't the best selling brand cars.

True, Honda Toyota and maybe even Nissan outsell them.
But, Mazda is rising in sales, especially in CUV/SUV sales.

There's been talk of a Mazda/Toyota collaboration on a larger sedan, using Mazda's RWD turbo I6 that's in development.

IMO, Mazda makes a much more 'driver focused' car, compared to the A-to-B appliances from the mainstream Japanese manufactureres.

Never thought of the Miata as underpowered, either.
It's not a breakneck high-power car, it's an inertia car made to handle well & carry speed through the turns.
I could see it being underwhelming in a straight line, but that's not what they're made for.

Flyin Miata has the solution for the underpowered bit for those wanting more, with their LS-conversion cars. 430-525hp enough?
$55k plus the donor car.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and the car was under powered.
Well maybe it was under-powered because you're a 6'4" fatass!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Big Grin Big Grin Just yankin' your chain...

My RX-7 certainly wasn't "under-powered". I considered the Mazda line of cross-over SUV when I was in the market, but decided they were not in my budget.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
...and the car was under powered.
Well maybe it was under-powered because you're a 6'4" fatass!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Big Grin Big Grin Just yankin' your chain...

My RX-7 certainly wasn't "under-powered". I considered the Mazda line of cross-over SUV when I was in the market, but decided they were not in my budget.

The RX7, depending on generation/configuration, could be seen like the Miata.
The FB/FC (non-turbo) cars weren't as powerful, but still a lot of fun.
The FD Turbo cars were up there competing with Porsches.

We too considered a CX5 but decided we wanted 3rd row seating & my wife didn't like the (Ford-era) CX9. Really liked how it drove though.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Zoom zoom

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm 6'4" and the car was under powered.

You're 6'4"!?!????

No, you're definitely not their target demographic of a buyer. I wouldn't like that tiny sports car if I were that big either. I would say Mazda seems to do very very well in my area. I do wonder where that impression is coming from. But maybe you just live where they don't sell well.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Now, you need a second, used, beater Miata to fix up for track days. Smile

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Now, you need a second, used, beater Miata to fix up for track days. Smile

I've only ever driven track at those vendor events where they bring in the exotics. We live very close to Beaver Run, a beautiful facility on the far west side of PA. I drove a Lamborghini Huracán, a Porsche GT3 and some Ferrari that I've forgotten the model. It was nerve wrecking.

I'm looking forward to carving the twisty, hilly Western PA countryside.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a dyed in the wool Corvette guy but have driven a couple of Miatas that friends owned and understand the calling, they are a blast to drive. At 6'2" and 210 it is a bit small for me and I must admit to the big horsepower desire as I grew up in the muscle car era. Enjoy your ride!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Congrats! You'll love it.

Picked up my classic red '90 with hard top and B package exactly 30 years and 3 days ago. Owned it for 16 years, put 150 trouble free miles on the clock, and had a ball running in SCCA Solo II for a few years. With the upgrades, you won't be running in D-stock, though. Enjoy.

BTW, the story goes, the entire Mazda Design Studio in CA was determined to make sure the Miata made it to market. The the home office in Japan wasn't on board, and kept a close eye on development costs. So, the team in CA donated much of their time, and kept the project below the radar of the bean counters. As a result, the Miata was brought to market at 10% of what it normally cost for a ground up production car. There are lots of cool stories about the lengths they went to to get it right, and 30 years later you get to enjoy the results.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Now that looks like it's going to be fun to drive! Will definitely look forward to updated photos when you bring it home. Enjoy it, and drive safe Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
The miata at 158hp is woefully underpowered. The rf with 181hp puts it at or near the top of class for power-to-weight ratio. Not a bad little ride for under $30k!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
The miata at 158hp is woefully underpowered. The rf with 181hp puts it at or near the top of class for power-to-weight ratio. Not a bad little ride for under $30k!

Confused
The entire Miata line, regardless of trim uses the same 2.0 I4 here in the US.
Other markets get a less powerful 1.5 I4, but reviews say it's just as fun, with a bit less rush.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have owned muscle cars to Miatas. BMW’s to Porsche’s.

I get everybody has their own automotive thing but assuming one fits in a Miata and can drive a stick (Miata’s don’t come with automatics. THEY DON’T!! and that’s all I will say about that.) Smile. Anyway if you fit and can drive a stick I just don’t see how you can not have fun in a Miata. A nice back road twist, some fall air, top down. , wringing out the gears, rotating through the corners......it’s sublime. I mean I am a cantankerous, grouchy asshole most of the time and it even makes me giggle involuntarily.

But hey to each their own.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Very cool! I think the newest Miatas look awesome. The RF would probably right up near the top for me if I didn't have to use my car occasionally for kids. I bet you will enjoy the hell out of it. I really like that orange.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
Last September, I was reading about the new 2019 models with the new tuned engine. By chance, I went to the Mazda web site to see what they were selling for. The first thing that I saw was a splash screen with the RF roof animation of it opening and closing. I honestly did not know that they were making miata’s with a retractable roof!

Th look and feel of the RF just snapped in my head. I said that this is going to be expensive! I already have two roadsters. The first being my 1950 RHD M.G.TD and the other a 1972 MGB. Neither have true highway capability or A.C. TO me the RF was a awesome option.

A week later I had run through the configurations on Mazda’s site and decided that if I was going to get one, it would be a Blue RF with the GT package.

Made a couple of calls to see if any dealerships had any new 2019 Rf’s in stock. One near me did, so my wife and went to take a look and a test drive. The car turned out to be the exact model I had set my mind on.

Two days later,I had bought probably the first and only blue one in the area!

I had never road in a Miata or driven one. So there was no preconceived ideas. I love the car!
It is a blast to drive. It feels fast, and is very nimble. Zoom Zoom is right. I already have almost 10,000 miles on it in 9 months. Even with it not being on the roads when there was salt down in the winter.

Are there things I would change? Sure! I will be upgrading suspension, engine mods, among other stuff. Will I race this one, probability not. It’s too nice of a package. It will be my “other” ride when I don’t need to drive my 3500 diesel dually crew cab full bed truck... you know, sometimes you just want to drive something smaller.

Over all, the car looks great, rides very nice, is super nimble, and a lot of people do not know what it is, so you get the looks.

It’s small, I’m 260lbs and 6 foot. I’m also loosing weight, so the car is getting even faster and more nimble every week... LOL.

I have zero regrets!

Blue 2019 RF review

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Check out Flyin Miata & Goodwin Racing for some aftermarket goodies.

Goodwin 's exhaust gets great reviews. Built with a Helmholz chamber for quiet at cruise & bypass at high RPM/full load.